USPS/Discovery- Greatest team of all time?

saluki said:
What's the mystery. There was no evidence.
mmm. The mystery is that the Spanish riders got let off. Look at Mancebo, he was ready to retire at the time because he new his days were numbered, Sevilla the same. Contador: Saiz at Liberty then off to Astana with the old doping crew of Vino, Kloeden, Savodelli, Mazzoleni, Jascke. It is all way to obvious.

that's all well and dandy... but Discovery will be gone at the end of the season with many riders finding jobs elsewhere.

Look for Hincapie to end up with Slipstream with Millar... My guess is Contador will end up on a Spanish team... maybe Saunier Duval... the dude can't speak English... fortunately Bruyneel speaks Spanish. Devolder will end up with Quick Step as one of Boonen's henchmen... blah blah blah...

fun while it lasted... not going to miss them... there's a fred who thinks he's Lance Armstrong who lives near me... full on kit... Madone bike... right down to the left downtube shifter... really annoying.

Tubbs said:
that's all well and dandy... but Discovery will be gone at the end of the season with many riders finding jobs elsewhere.

Look for Hincapie to end up with Slipstream with Millar... My guess is Contador will end up on a Spanish team... maybe Saunier Duval... the dude can't speak English... fortunately Bruyneel speaks Spanish. Devolder will end up with Quick Step as one of Boonen's henchmen... blah blah blah...

fun while it lasted... not going to miss them... there's a fred who thinks he's Lance Armstrong who lives near me... full on kit... Madone bike... right down to the left downtube shifter... really annoying.
I think you could say that about a lot of teams after this tour I think a lot will lose sponsors and we will see a bunch of changes this next year with not only Disco, but T mobile, Astana and more. Discovery and CSC are two strong teams who have not been linked yet to this mess (not saying anyones is clean anymore cause who knows) but that might help them in the long run.

Cprace1 said:
I think you could say that about a lot of teams after this tour I think a lot will lose sponsors and we will see a bunch of changes this next year with not only Disco, but T mobile, Astana and more. Discovery and CSC are two strong teams who have not been linked yet to this mess (not saying anyones is clean anymore cause who knows) but that might help them in the long run.
yes... but Bruyneel has yet to find a replacement sponsor for when Discovery pulls out at the end of the year. CSC has a contract until 2009, but that could change quickly... Credit Agricole's sponsorship is ending at the end of the year and has expressed that they will not renew.

hmm... anyone of you guys wanna chip in a couple of bucks and hire some of these guys... I have a station wagon with a good roof rack... we can spend next summer driving around France!!! think about it!!!

Tubbs said:
LOL, Thats why I ride Specialized and ride in shorts and a tshirt. No kit for me. I dont wanna represent anyone.

Cprace1 said:
Discovery and CSC are two strong teams who have not been linked yet to this mess (not saying anyones is clean anymore cause who knows) but that might help them in the long run.

What are you talking about, on CSC?

Ever heard of Mr. Ivan Basso, the then leader of CSC aka Birillo? :eek:

musette said:
What are you talking about, on CSC?

Ever heard of Mr. Ivan Basso, the then leader of CSC aka Birillo? :eek:
The same Basso who was team leader of Disco? :p

:p
Bro Deal said:
The same Basso who was team leader of Disco?
Ivan was waering sun glasses so Johan couldn't look properly into his eyes.

Oh and I forgot to add, that he obviously was going to race clean with DC.

thebluetrain said:
They are on the verge of winning 8 TdF's in 9 years. Add to that wins in the DL, Gent Wevelgem,Vuelta, Giro, Tour de Georgia, Three Days of De Panne, Tour of California, Paris-Nice, Tour of Belgium and countless other stage wins etc. This has to solidify their reign as the best team ever.
Eddy Merckx or Bernard Hinault got better results than that in an average year......

Bro Deal said:
The same Basso who was team leader of Disco? :p

Only after he was, at that point in time, cleared by the Italian federation. Basso was doping WHILE he was on CSC (or, per Basso at least, preparing to dope).

Does DC, like CSC, have a DS who has openly admitted to doping himself?

Does DC, like CSC, hav a DS who is desperate for his FIRST (only) Tour win as a DS?

Does DC, like CSC, have a DS who is desperate to have the team, the strategy, the smarts to direct a winning TdF effort, or to direct or supervise the direction of eight winning TdF efforts in nine years (and ten winning Grand Tour efforts during the same period)?

MILAN (Reuters) - The mother of cyclist Marco Pantani wants a fresh inquest into his death in 2004 after a new book raised doubts about whether he died of a drug overdose.

Italian Pantani won the Tour De France and Giro D'Italia in 1998 and was regarded as one of the sport's best ever climbers. However, the end of his career was dogged by doping allegations and his death at 34 was blamed on cocaine.

"The hour of his death is not clear. More than one person entered into his room," Tonina Pantani told Saturday's Gazzetta dello Sport.

"I will spend all my money to arrive at the truth."

whiteboytrash said:
The mother of cyclist Marco Pantani: ....
"I will spend all my money to arrive at the truth."
MILAN (Reuters) - fat amatuer cyclist gladly takes all Marco Pantani's mum's money saying:
"You can't handle the truth!"

USPS/Disco, definitely the most successful grand tour team of the past 10 years, possibly of all time.

Best classics team? Not by a long shot. And if you can't win classics you're not the best team of all time. They weren't that good at winning the small tours either, so nope, not the best team of all time. I think their highest accolade would be the most successful TdF team of all time.

Eldrack said:
USPS/Disco, definitely the most successful grand tour team of the past 10 years, possibly of all time.

Best classics team? Not by a long shot. And if you can't win classics you're not the best team of all time. They weren't that good at winning the small tours either, so nope, not the best team of all time. I think their highest accolade would be the most successful TdF team of all time.
Gitane - Renault - System U - Super U

Tour de France 1976, 1978, 1979, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984
Giro d'Italia 1980, 1982, 1989
Vuelta - 1978, 1983.

Thats 12 GT's for Cyrille Guimard and his team. I know it doesn't count at the end of the day, but Hinault would have won the Tour in 1980 if he didn't get injured, Fignon was robbed of a Giro win in 84 and he would have won the 89 Tour if Lemond hadn't cheated.:p

I can't be arsed counting all or Hinaults classic wins, let alone adding classic and WC wins of the likes of Lemond, Madiot, Fignon etc.

Eldrack said:

Might be slightly wrong with this but apart from ace climber Hincapie's Ghent-Wevelgem in 01 and GP Plouay in 05 Disco never won a significant one day race. All the Tours but nothing else? WTF!

Gregers said:
Might be slightly wrong with this but apart from ace climber Hincapie's Ghent-Wevelgem in 01 and GP Plouay in 05 Disco never won a significant one day race. All the Tours but nothing else? WTF!
they had great doping.

Simple.

Teams with Hoste, Hincapie, Hammond, Devolder, Vaitkus, Davis, Armstrong, Ekimov, Boonen :D

classic1 said:
Gitane - Renault - System U - Super U

Tour de France 1976, 1978, 1979, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984
Giro d'Italia 1980, 1982, 1989
Vuelta - 1978, 1983.

Thats 12 GT's for Cyrille Guimard and his team. I know it doesn't count at the end of the day, but Hinault would have won the Tour in 1980 if he didn't get injured, Fignon was robbed of a Giro win in 84 and he would have won the 89 Tour if Lemond hadn't cheated.:p

I can't be arsed counting all or Hinaults classic wins, let alone adding classic and WC wins of the likes of Lemond, Madiot, Fignon etc.

Agreed.

Guimard's team's literally destroyed all other contenders in their day and their dominance GT's/stage races/one day-classic races wipes the floor with US/DC.

I'd rate Gitane-Renault as the No.1 team - followed by ONCE 1990's.
Jalabert/Zulle were swapping Tours of Spain/Tours of Switzerland like candy.
Throw in the one day/stage races wins from 1992/1999, the various world championship wins, GT classification jerseys, and you have a superb squad.

Next would be Reynolds-Banesto : 6 T'DFs, 4 Giros, 2 Vueltas, plethora of stage race wins (Dauphine, Criterium Internation, Classica San Sebastian etc etc) between 1988-1996.

t.i. raleigh doesnt get a spot up at the top? based on eddys results alone, those guys were winning more than any other team. 1 days and the gts.

system-u was badass in the 80's.

vitamin s said:
t.i. raleigh doesnt get a spot up at the top? based on eddys results alone, those guys were winning more than any other team. 1 days and the gts.

system-u was badass in the 80's.
Eddy was never a rider for Ti-Raleigh. The problem Peter Post's teams had in winning the GT's was a guy named Hinault........He was the dominant TDF rider then. Back then teams did not contest the TDF, Vuelta, and the Giro like they do today. A few teams did with dominant riders, but it was not a common practice.
In the Classics they would have been considered a top all time great team......
Being a english speaking ownership team [England] , even though the riders were not[Dutch] , there were efforts by the TDF to prevent too good of a result by them. There was a prolouge that Ti-Raleigh won , and the next day the TDF announced for no reason it would not count towards GC. And Ti-Raleigh was always getting way more positives then any other team in the TDF......

Cycling has always been a sport of inconsistent policing.