USPS in Nevada City?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Nick Burns, Jun 13, 2003.

  1. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    Does anyone know who (if anyone) from USPS will be in Nevada City this weekend? Tony Cruz won last
    year but I think he is racing in the Dauphine Libere.

    Tags:

  2. Sounds like NC...is going to be boring.......no big names, all locals I guess! "Nick Burns"
    > Does anyone know who (if anyone) from USPS will be in Nevada City this weekend? Tony Cruz won last
    > year but I think he is racing in the Dauphine Libere.

  3. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    I will try to find out by tomorrow. It is always a great race but you may be right.

    "Just a Cyclist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Sounds like NC...is going to be boring.......no big names, all locals I guess! "Nick Burns"
    > > Does anyone know who (if anyone) from USPS will be in Nevada City this weekend? Tony Cruz won
    > > last year but I think he is racing in the
    Dauphine
    > > Libere.

  4. "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Does anyone know who (if anyone) from USPS will be in Nevada City this weekend? Tony Cruz won last
    > year but I think he is racing in the Dauphine Libere.

    Maybe Allen, or Mckinnely I don't think Nolan will go.

    RVD

  5. I been to NC race a number of times in the past. It used to be a really big deal, but it has really
    gone downhill over the years. It's a hell of a course with extremely steep climbs that are short but
    torture for sure. A total cumulative 16,000 ft. I believe. It had a few big names in the past.
    Wasn't Andy Hamsten there one year?

    B-

  6. In article <[email protected]>, Bruce Johnston <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I been to NC race a number of times in the past. It used to be a really big deal, but it has
    > really gone downhill over the years. It's a hell of a course with extremely steep climbs that are
    > short but torture for sure. A total cumulative 16,000 ft. I believe. It had a few big names in the
    > past. Wasn't Andy Hamsten there one year?

    There isn't 400 ft of climbing per lap at Nevada City. Yes they use to advertise that much of
    climbing per lap but when someone actuall looked into it there is about 200 ft of climbing per lap.

    Casey

  7. Have they changed the course? I don't know if anybody remembers this but the first year I went, I
    think the juniors race was narrowed down to two kids. One kid was really thin, a good climber and
    the other kid was beefy boy. They led the whole race way ahead of the pack. On the last lap the
    beefy boy took off and was going so fact that he crashed in that famous corner. His leg was
    shredded, blood all over and his bike was whacked. He picked up his bike and ran all the way to
    finish line. Right at the line the thin kid came up around the corner and took it right at the line
    and the beefy kid took second. He was so mad, he slammed his bike down fuming. After a minute they
    took him off to the ambulance.

    That was a great finish!! Tragic but interesting!

    B-

    news:130620031822573638%[email protected]...

  8. In article <[email protected]>, Bruce Johnston <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Have they changed the course?

    There have been several different courses. All have featured Main street but different ways of
    getting up to the top of the course. I think even one year they ran the race in the reverse
    direction. A few years ago the promoters were wondering why the decline in local racers ( and
    smaller field sizes). Someone figured out that advertising the race with 400 ft of climbing per lap
    might be scaring some people away from the race. After investigating things further they figures out
    that actualy there was a bit less than 200 ft of climbing per lap.

    > I don't know if anybody remembers this but the first year I went, I think the juniors race was
    > narrowed down to two kids. One kid was really thin, a good climber and the other kid was beefy
    > boy. They led the whole race way ahead of the pack. On the last lap the beefy boy took off and was
    > going so fact that he crashed in that famous corner. His leg was shredded, blood all over and his
    > bike was whacked. He picked up his bike and ran all the way to finish line. Right at the line the
    > thin kid came up around the corner and took it right at the line and the beefy kid took second. He
    > was so mad, he slammed his bike down fuming. After a minute they took him off to the ambulance.

    Sounds like the old course that turned left off of Main street about
    3/4 of the way donw Main street. This must have been when the start finish was at the back of the
    Court House. A long time ago the race started going all the way down Main street and turning left
    just before the freeway overcrossing and they moved the finishline out to Main street in front of
    the hotel just past where the old course turned left off of Main.

    Casey

  9. "Casey Kerrigan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:130620031921123329%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Bruce Johnston <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Have they changed the course?
    >
    > There have been several different courses. All have featured Main street but different ways of
    > getting up to the top of the course. I think even one year they ran the race in the reverse
    > direction. A few years ago the promoters were wondering why the decline in local racers ( and
    > smaller field sizes). Someone figured out that advertising the race with 400 ft of climbing per
    > lap might be scaring some people away from the race. After investigating things further they
    > figures out that actualy there was a bit less than 200 ft of climbing per lap.
    >

    > > I don't know if anybody remembers this but the first year I went, I think the juniors race was
    > > narrowed down to two
    kids.
    > > One kid was really thin, a good climber and the other kid was beefy boy. They led the whole race
    > > way ahead of the pack. On the last lap the beefy
    boy
    > > took off and was going so fact that he crashed in that famous corner.
    His
    > > leg was shredded, blood all over and his bike was whacked. He picked up
    his
    > > bike and ran all the way to finish line. Right at the line the thin kid
    came
    > > up around the corner and took it right at the line and the beefy kid
    took
    > > second. He was so mad, he slammed his bike down fuming. After a minute
    they
    > > took him off to the ambulance.
    > >
    > Sounds like the old course that turned left off of Main street about
    > 3/4 of the way donw Main street. This must have been when the start finish was at the back of the
    > Court House. A long time ago the race started going all the way down Main street and turning
    > left just before the freeway overcrossing and they moved the finishline out to Main street in
    > front of the hotel just past where the old course turned left off of Main.
    >
    > Casey

    Yeah, that's right. The start-finish was about half way up that wicked
    climb. I still have old footage laying around from those days. Thomas Richey or something like that
    was one of the big names back then from some famous bike shop. This could of been the 70's.

    B-

  10. "Casey Kerrigan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:130620031921123329%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Bruce Johnston <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Have they changed the course?
    >
    > There have been several different courses. All have featured Main street but different ways of
    > getting up to the top of the course. I think even one year they ran the race in the reverse
    > direction. A few years ago the promoters were wondering why the decline in local racers ( and
    > smaller field sizes). Someone figured out that advertising the race with 400 ft of climbing per
    > lap might be scaring some people away from the race. After investigating things further they
    > figures out that actualy there was a bit less than 200 ft of climbing per lap.
    >

    > > I don't know if anybody remembers this but the first year I went, I think the juniors race was
    > > narrowed down to two
    kids.
    > > One kid was really thin, a good climber and the other kid was beefy boy. They led the whole race
    > > way ahead of the pack. On the last lap the beefy
    boy
    > > took off and was going so fact that he crashed in that famous corner.
    His
    > > leg was shredded, blood all over and his bike was whacked. He picked up
    his
    > > bike and ran all the way to finish line. Right at the line the thin kid
    came
    > > up around the corner and took it right at the line and the beefy kid
    took
    > > second. He was so mad, he slammed his bike down fuming. After a minute
    they
    > > took him off to the ambulance.
    > >
    > Sounds like the old course that turned left off of Main street about
    > 3/4 of the way donw Main street. This must have been when the start finish was at the back of the
    > Court House. A long time ago the race started going all the way down Main street and turning
    > left just before the freeway overcrossing and they moved the finishline out to Main street in
    > front of the hotel just past where the old course turned left off of Main.
    >
    > Casey

    Too bad about the Nevada City classic. It used to be such a big deal. It was pride and prestige. It
    was like crown jewels of cycling here in California. It's sad to see it go downhill. It's a gutsy
    race. That climb really knocks the crap out of the riders. Short but must be at least 15% or more in
    the worst parts near the court house.

    B-

    B-

  11. When I first glanced that looked like Andy on the front right, but the photo says obscured, so I
    think that is Andy just behind. Hey, Alexi Grewal, Chris and Jeff. I think I missed that year.
    Notice all the people sitting on the ground and the folks wrapped down sidelines. That the way it
    was year after year. This race was so popular that the little town literally became inundated with
    the masses. People would just choke the streets. The whole town was buzzing with activity and it
    really was a event you didn't want to miss. When you went home you could see the cars on the highway
    choking it for miles and miles down the road. That is just how much people loved that race. They
    really turned out for it!

    B-

    > I love this photo:
    >
    > http://www.roble.net/marquis/84nc.html
    >
    > JT

    > NB: reply-to address is munged
    >
    > Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  12. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Rik Van Diesel
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Does anyone know who (if anyone) from USPS will be in Nevada City this weekend? Tony Cruz won
    > > last year but I think he is racing in the Dauphine Libere.
    >
    > Maybe Allen, or Mckinnely I don't think Nolan will go.

    It's one of Larry's 2 or 3 favorite races. USPS Masters will have 7 or 8 guys at Tour de Nez the day
    before so expect to see alot of them at Nevada City.

    -WG

  13. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    If not being held is what you consider "going downhill" then you are certainly correct. It is kind
    of hard to keep an event popular when it is not held.

  14. In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns <[email protected]> wrote:

    > If not being held is what you consider "going downhill" then you are certainly correct. It is kind
    > of hard to keep an event popular when it is not held.
    >

    > "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I been to NC race a number of times in the past. It used to be a really
    > big
    > > deal, but it has really gone downhill over the years. It's a hell of a course with extremely
    > > steep climbs that are short but torture for sure. A total cumulative 16,000 ft. I believe. It
    > > had a few big names in the past. Wasn't Andy Hamsten there one year?

    Nevada City has been held every year for the past 43 years. They claim to the be oldest race on the
    West Coast ( or some times second oldest race in the country). This overlooks the fact that the
    Berkeley Hills road race has been held every year for 46 years.

  15. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    Tom Ritchey. The same as teh frame builder, component designer, and excellent road rider.

    "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Casey Kerrigan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:130620031921123329%[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, Bruce Johnston <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Have they changed the course?
    > >
    > > There have been several different courses. All have featured Main street but different ways of
    > > getting up to the top of the course. I think even one year they ran the race in the reverse
    > > direction. A few years ago the promoters were wondering why the decline in local racers ( and
    > > smaller field sizes). Someone figured out that advertising the race with 400 ft of climbing per
    > > lap might be scaring some people away from the race. After investigating things further they
    > > figures out that actualy there was a bit less than 200 ft of climbing per lap.
    > >

    > > > I don't know if anybody remembers this but the first year I went, I think the juniors race was
    > > > narrowed down to two
    > kids.
    > > > One kid was really thin, a good climber and the other kid was beefy
    boy.
    > > > They led the whole race way ahead of the pack. On the last lap the
    beefy
    > boy
    > > > took off and was going so fact that he crashed in that famous corner.
    > His
    > > > leg was shredded, blood all over and his bike was whacked. He picked
    up
    > his
    > > > bike and ran all the way to finish line. Right at the line the thin
    kid
    > came
    > > > up around the corner and took it right at the line and the beefy kid
    > took
    > > > second. He was so mad, he slammed his bike down fuming. After a minute
    > they
    > > > took him off to the ambulance.
    > > >
    > > Sounds like the old course that turned left off of Main street about
    > > 3/4 of the way donw Main street. This must have been when the start finish was at the back of
    > > the Court House. A long time ago the race started going all the way down Main street and
    > > turning left just before the freeway overcrossing and they moved the finishline out to Main
    > > street in front of the hotel just past where the old course turned left off of Main.
    > >
    > > Casey
    >
    > Yeah, that's right. The start-finish was about half way up that wicked
    > climb. I still have old footage laying around from those days. Thomas
    Richey
    > or something like that was one of the big names back then from some famous bike shop. This could
    > of been the 70's.
    >
    > B-

  16. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    That is Andy.

  17. "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:140620030946147947%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Rik Van Diesel
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Does anyone know who (if anyone) from USPS will be in Nevada City this weekend? Tony Cruz won
    > > > last year but I think he is racing in the
    Dauphine
    > > > Libere.
    > >
    > > Maybe Allen, or Mckinnely I don't think Nolan will go.
    >
    > It's one of Larry's 2 or 3 favorite races. USPS Masters will have 7 or 8 guys at Tour de Nez the
    > day before so expect to see alot of them at Nevada City.
    >
    > -WG

    Saw Allen riding yesterday......I think he will be there.....

  18. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    I thought they missed a few years. I know I missed a few. Did they hold it in 1999 for example? I
    can't even find the results for anything in the 90s.

    news:140620031404279660%[email protected]...