USPS in Nevada City?

Nick Burns

Guest
Does anyone know who (if anyone) from USPS will be in Nevada City this weekend? Tony Cruz won last
year but I think he is racing in the Dauphine Libere.

Sounds like NC...is going to be boring.......no big names, all locals I guess! "Nick Burns"
> Does anyone know who (if anyone) from USPS will be in Nevada City this weekend? Tony Cruz won last
> year but I think he is racing in the Dauphine Libere.

I will try to find out by tomorrow. It is always a great race but you may be right.

"Just a Cyclist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Sounds like NC...is going to be boring.......no big names, all locals I guess! "Nick Burns"
> > Does anyone know who (if anyone) from USPS will be in Nevada City this weekend? Tony Cruz won
> > last year but I think he is racing in the
Dauphine
> > Libere.

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Does anyone know who (if anyone) from USPS will be in Nevada City this weekend? Tony Cruz won last
> year but I think he is racing in the Dauphine Libere.

Maybe Allen, or Mckinnely I don't think Nolan will go.

RVD

I been to NC race a number of times in the past. It used to be a really big deal, but it has really
gone downhill over the years. It's a hell of a course with extremely steep climbs that are short but
torture for sure. A total cumulative 16,000 ft. I believe. It had a few big names in the past.
Wasn't Andy Hamsten there one year?

B-

In article <[email protected]>, Bruce Johnston <[email protected]> wrote:

> I been to NC race a number of times in the past. It used to be a really big deal, but it has
> really gone downhill over the years. It's a hell of a course with extremely steep climbs that are
> short but torture for sure. A total cumulative 16,000 ft. I believe. It had a few big names in the
> past. Wasn't Andy Hamsten there one year?

There isn't 400 ft of climbing per lap at Nevada City. Yes they use to advertise that much of
climbing per lap but when someone actuall looked into it there is about 200 ft of climbing per lap.

Casey

Have they changed the course? I don't know if anybody remembers this but the first year I went, I
think the juniors race was narrowed down to two kids. One kid was really thin, a good climber and
the other kid was beefy boy. They led the whole race way ahead of the pack. On the last lap the
beefy boy took off and was going so fact that he crashed in that famous corner. His leg was
shredded, blood all over and his bike was whacked. He picked up his bike and ran all the way to
finish line. Right at the line the thin kid came up around the corner and took it right at the line
and the beefy kid took second. He was so mad, he slammed his bike down fuming. After a minute they
took him off to the ambulance.

That was a great finish!! Tragic but interesting!

B-

"Casey Kerrigan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:130620031822573638%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Bruce Johnston <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I been to NC race a number of times in the past. It used to be a really
big
> > deal, but it has really gone downhill over the years. It's a hell of a course with extremely
> > steep climbs that are short but torture for sure.
> > total cumulative 16,000 ft. I believe. It had a few big names in the
past.
> > Wasn't Andy Hamsten there one year?
>
> There isn't 400 ft of climbing per lap at Nevada City. Yes they use to advertise that much of
> climbing per lap but when someone actuall looked into it there is about 200 ft of climbing
> per lap.
>
> Casey

In article <[email protected]>, Bruce Johnston <[email protected]> wrote:

> Have they changed the course?

There have been several different courses. All have featured Main street but different ways of
getting up to the top of the course. I think even one year they ran the race in the reverse
direction. A few years ago the promoters were wondering why the decline in local racers ( and
smaller field sizes). Someone figured out that advertising the race with 400 ft of climbing per lap
might be scaring some people away from the race. After investigating things further they figures out
that actualy there was a bit less than 200 ft of climbing per lap.

> I don't know if anybody remembers this but the first year I went, I think the juniors race was
> narrowed down to two kids. One kid was really thin, a good climber and the other kid was beefy
> boy. They led the whole race way ahead of the pack. On the last lap the beefy boy took off and was
> going so fact that he crashed in that famous corner. His leg was shredded, blood all over and his
> bike was whacked. He picked up his bike and ran all the way to finish line. Right at the line the
> thin kid came up around the corner and took it right at the line and the beefy kid took second. He
> was so mad, he slammed his bike down fuming. After a minute they took him off to the ambulance.

Sounds like the old course that turned left off of Main street about
3/4 of the way donw Main street. This must have been when the start finish was at the back of the
Court House. A long time ago the race started going all the way down Main street and turning left
just before the freeway overcrossing and they moved the finishline out to Main street in front of
the hotel just past where the old course turned left off of Main.

Casey

"Casey Kerrigan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:130620031921123329%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Bruce Johnston <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Have they changed the course?
>
> There have been several different courses. All have featured Main street but different ways of
> getting up to the top of the course. I think even one year they ran the race in the reverse
> direction. A few years ago the promoters were wondering why the decline in local racers ( and
> smaller field sizes). Someone figured out that advertising the race with 400 ft of climbing per
> lap might be scaring some people away from the race. After investigating things further they
> figures out that actualy there was a bit less than 200 ft of climbing per lap.
>

> > I don't know if anybody remembers this but the first year I went, I think the juniors race was
> > narrowed down to two
kids.
> > One kid was really thin, a good climber and the other kid was beefy boy. They led the whole race
> > way ahead of the pack. On the last lap the beefy
boy
> > took off and was going so fact that he crashed in that famous corner.
His
> > leg was shredded, blood all over and his bike was whacked. He picked up
his
> > bike and ran all the way to finish line. Right at the line the thin kid
came
> > up around the corner and took it right at the line and the beefy kid
took
> > second. He was so mad, he slammed his bike down fuming. After a minute
they
> > took him off to the ambulance.
> >
> Sounds like the old course that turned left off of Main street about
> 3/4 of the way donw Main street. This must have been when the start finish was at the back of the
> Court House. A long time ago the race started going all the way down Main street and turning
> left just before the freeway overcrossing and they moved the finishline out to Main street in
> front of the hotel just past where the old course turned left off of Main.
>
> Casey

Yeah, that's right. The start-finish was about half way up that wicked
climb. I still have old footage laying around from those days. Thomas Richey or something like that
was one of the big names back then from some famous bike shop. This could of been the 70's.

B-

"Casey Kerrigan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:130620031921123329%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Bruce Johnston <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Have they changed the course?
>
> There have been several different courses. All have featured Main street but different ways of
> getting up to the top of the course. I think even one year they ran the race in the reverse
> direction. A few years ago the promoters were wondering why the decline in local racers ( and
> smaller field sizes). Someone figured out that advertising the race with 400 ft of climbing per
> lap might be scaring some people away from the race. After investigating things further they
> figures out that actualy there was a bit less than 200 ft of climbing per lap.
>

> > I don't know if anybody remembers this but the first year I went, I think the juniors race was
> > narrowed down to two
kids.
> > One kid was really thin, a good climber and the other kid was beefy boy. They led the whole race
> > way ahead of the pack. On the last lap the beefy
boy
> > took off and was going so fact that he crashed in that famous corner.
His
> > leg was shredded, blood all over and his bike was whacked. He picked up
his
> > bike and ran all the way to finish line. Right at the line the thin kid
came
> > up around the corner and took it right at the line and the beefy kid
took
> > second. He was so mad, he slammed his bike down fuming. After a minute
they
> > took him off to the ambulance.
> >
> Sounds like the old course that turned left off of Main street about
> 3/4 of the way donw Main street. This must have been when the start finish was at the back of the
> Court House. A long time ago the race started going all the way down Main street and turning
> left just before the freeway overcrossing and they moved the finishline out to Main street in
> front of the hotel just past where the old course turned left off of Main.
>
> Casey

Too bad about the Nevada City classic. It used to be such a big deal. It was pride and prestige. It
was like crown jewels of cycling here in California. It's sad to see it go downhill. It's a gutsy
race. That climb really knocks the **** out of the riders. Short but must be at least 15% or more in
the worst parts near the court house.

B-

B-

When I first glanced that looked like Andy on the front right, but the photo says obscured, so I
think that is Andy just behind. Hey, Alexi Grewal, Chris and Jeff. I think I missed that year.
Notice all the people sitting on the ground and the folks wrapped down sidelines. That the way it
was year after year. This race was so popular that the little town literally became inundated with
the masses. People would just choke the streets. The whole town was buzzing with activity and it
really was a event you didn't want to miss. When you went home you could see the cars on the highway
choking it for miles and miles down the road. That is just how much people loved that race. They
really turned out for it!

B-

> I love this photo:
>
> http://www.roble.net/marquis/84nc.html
>
> JT

> NB: reply-to address is munged
>
> Visit http://www.jt10000.com

In article <[email protected]>, Rik Van Diesel
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Does anyone know who (if anyone) from USPS will be in Nevada City this weekend? Tony Cruz won
> > last year but I think he is racing in the Dauphine Libere.
>
> Maybe Allen, or Mckinnely I don't think Nolan will go.

It's one of Larry's 2 or 3 favorite races. USPS Masters will have 7 or 8 guys at Tour de Nez the day
before so expect to see alot of them at Nevada City.

-WG

If not being held is what you consider "going downhill" then you are certainly correct. It is kind
of hard to keep an event popular when it is not held.

In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns <[email protected]> wrote:

> If not being held is what you consider "going downhill" then you are certainly correct. It is kind
> of hard to keep an event popular when it is not held.
>

> "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I been to NC race a number of times in the past. It used to be a really
> big
> > deal, but it has really gone downhill over the years. It's a hell of a course with extremely
> > steep climbs that are short but torture for sure. A total cumulative 16,000 ft. I believe. It
> > had a few big names in the past. Wasn't Andy Hamsten there one year?

Nevada City has been held every year for the past 43 years. They claim to the be oldest race on the
West Coast ( or some times second oldest race in the country). This overlooks the fact that the
Berkeley Hills road race has been held every year for 46 years.

Tom Ritchey. The same as teh frame builder, component designer, and excellent road rider.

"Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Casey Kerrigan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:130620031921123329%[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, Bruce Johnston <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Have they changed the course?
> >
> > There have been several different courses. All have featured Main street but different ways of
> > getting up to the top of the course. I think even one year they ran the race in the reverse
> > direction. A few years ago the promoters were wondering why the decline in local racers ( and
> > smaller field sizes). Someone figured out that advertising the race with 400 ft of climbing per
> > lap might be scaring some people away from the race. After investigating things further they
> > figures out that actualy there was a bit less than 200 ft of climbing per lap.
> >

> > > I don't know if anybody remembers this but the first year I went, I think the juniors race was
> > > narrowed down to two
> kids.
> > > One kid was really thin, a good climber and the other kid was beefy
boy.
> > > They led the whole race way ahead of the pack. On the last lap the
beefy
> boy
> > > took off and was going so fact that he crashed in that famous corner.
> His
> > > leg was shredded, blood all over and his bike was whacked. He picked
up
> his
> > > bike and ran all the way to finish line. Right at the line the thin
kid
> came
> > > up around the corner and took it right at the line and the beefy kid
> took
> > > second. He was so mad, he slammed his bike down fuming. After a minute
> they
> > > took him off to the ambulance.
> > >
> > Sounds like the old course that turned left off of Main street about
> > 3/4 of the way donw Main street. This must have been when the start finish was at the back of
> > the Court House. A long time ago the race started going all the way down Main street and
> > turning left just before the freeway overcrossing and they moved the finishline out to Main
> > street in front of the hotel just past where the old course turned left off of Main.
> >
> > Casey
>
> Yeah, that's right. The start-finish was about half way up that wicked
> climb. I still have old footage laying around from those days. Thomas
Richey
> or something like that was one of the big names back then from some famous bike shop. This could
> of been the 70's.
>
> B-

That is Andy.

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:140620030946147947%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Rik Van Diesel
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Does anyone know who (if anyone) from USPS will be in Nevada City this weekend? Tony Cruz won
> > > last year but I think he is racing in the
Dauphine
> > > Libere.
> >
> > Maybe Allen, or Mckinnely I don't think Nolan will go.
>
> It's one of Larry's 2 or 3 favorite races. USPS Masters will have 7 or 8 guys at Tour de Nez the
> day before so expect to see alot of them at Nevada City.
>
> -WG

Saw Allen riding yesterday......I think he will be there.....

I thought they missed a few years. I know I missed a few. Did they hold it in 1999 for example? I
can't even find the results for anything in the 90s.

news:140620031404279660%[email protected]...