USPS Looking good early

mjolnir2k

Jun 6, 2003
Lance Armstrong and his trusty USPS team did some fine work at the 30th Volta ao Algarve. (Yes I know it's considered a "minor" race @ 2.3, but it is still early season)

The team rode very well for the first 3 days and then tore it up in the TT with Lance winning the day and Floyd Landis coming in 1 second behind him.

On the final stage (Stage 5) Saturday the plan was to set up USPS teamate Floyd Landis for the win up the Cat 2 climb of Malhao, which he took by breaking away with 1km to go. Lance came in about a minute back and finished 5th overall (as planned).

Overall a VERY nice showing for the entire squad and Lance showed some nice early season form during the 24k TT in which he averaged 28 MPH.

Guess he hasn't been sitting around all winter "eating donuts"..

On the final stage (Stage 5) Saturday the plan was to set up USPS teamate Floyd Landis for the win up the Cat 2 climb of Malhao, which he took by breaking away with 1km to go. Lance came in about a minute back and finished 5th overall (as planned).

I believe Lance his coaches and team mates are very good at planning their moves and strategy.That is what makes him a great rider. If you plan to win you may very well suceed. If you plan to lose you will most certainly suceed.
I am sure someone will find some negative comment to make about Postals sucess.
:eek:

The most obvious quality of the US Postal team is how efficiently they work as a *team*, and the strength of that teamwork makes a huge difference when the going gets tough. This is surely reflective of the coaching, which is arguably the best in the business. In contrast, some other teams seem to show so little cohesion in comparison, that the only way you'd know their riders are teammates is by the color of their jerseys.