USPS: Recruiting With Power Meter Readings?

gntlmn

Jul 28, 2003
I saw Lance Armstrong talking in regard to their sponsor, AMD, about how much more advanced telecommunications is now than it was even in the time of Lemond, and he commented that the best technological improvement for training in the last 10 years is the power meter. Then it showed Bruyneel with a device in his hand, and they said he can stay in contact not only with his team members when they work out but with riders anywhere in the world.

I'm guessing that Johann can watch a rider's workout in real time on display with readouts from various devices. The "dashboard" on these training bikes they use is very sophisticated and elaborate. I'm wondering if some of this feedback is how they became very interested in Ivan Basso last winter. Lance says USPS tried to recruit him when Heras defected, but they were unable to uproot him from his other plans. Now he is riding extremely well in the Tour. I wonder if they had more than race results to go by. Like for example, I wonder if they looked at his power meter and heart rate monitor readings while he trained, comparing this with his recovery times using more readings. It would seem to be a lot more to go by than a rider's confidence level and how well he can finesse someone on the telephone.

For many of LA's training rides, LA will gather various data using monitoring machines and forward the data to Chris Carmichael, who then analyzes them. Carmichael has a database of how effective LA is under various conditions, based on the data. This is described in LA's book.

musette said:
For many of LA's training rides, LA will gather various data using monitoring machines and forward the data to Chris Carmichael, who then analyzes them. Carmichael has a database of how effective LA is under various conditions, based on the data. This is described in LA's book.

It must be in "Every Second Counts". I didn't read that one. I read "It's Not About the Bike".

gntlmn said:
I saw Lance Armstrong talking in regard to their sponsor, AMD, about how much more advanced telecommunications is now than it was even in the time of Lemond, and he commented that the best technological improvement for training in the last 10 years is the power meter. Then it showed Bruyneel with a device in his hand, and they said he can stay in contact not only with his team members when they work out but with riders anywhere in the world.

I'm guessing that Johann can watch a rider's workout in real time on display with readouts from various devices. The "dashboard" on these training bikes they use is very sophisticated and elaborate. I'm wondering if some of this feedback is how they became very interested in Ivan Basso last winter. Lance says USPS tried to recruit him when Heras defected, but they were unable to uproot him from his other plans. Now he is riding extremely well in the Tour. I wonder if they had more than race results to go by. Like for example, I wonder if they looked at his power meter and heart rate monitor readings while he trained, comparing this with his recovery times using more readings. It would seem to be a lot more to go by than a rider's confidence level and how well he can finesse someone on the telephone.

That device is called a cell phone. He punches in a secret sequence of numbers on a keypad and a similiar device held by the rider makes an electronic sounding noise or vibrates. He is then able to communicate.

I'm sure that Basso just had his agent send over proprietary data to his rival in the hopes of getting a spot on the squad. How ignorant. If they want a top rider like Basso or Azevedo they take him based on his past performance and by scouting reports from the riders on the team.

ewitz said:
That device is called a cell phone. He punches in a secret sequence of numbers on a keypad and a similiar device held by the rider makes an electronic sounding noise or vibrates. He is then able to communicate.

I'm sure that Basso just had his agent send over proprietary data to his rival in the hopes of getting a spot on the squad. How ignorant. If they want a top rider like Basso or Azevedo they take him based on his past performance and by scouting reports from the riders on the team.

So you're saying that Bruyneel is not trying to recruit other athletes using workout readings. You're saying he is merely coaching them?

gntlmn said:
So you're saying that Bruyneel is not trying to recruit other athletes using workout readings. You're saying he is merely coaching them?

I am saying that he does not have access to that information.

ewitz said:
I am saying that he does not have access to that information.

Well, that may be true. It wouldn't be the first time that OLN didn't get the story straight.

You have to admit, however, that the technology is there if a rider felt confident enough to let Bruyneel in on how he's doing. He wouldn't have to let his team managers know what he's doing. Such tactics could easily backfire on the rider, jeopardizing his future.

gntlmn said:
Well, that may be true. It wouldn't be the first time that OLN didn't get the story straight.

You have to admit, however, that the technology is there if a rider felt confident enough to let Bruyneel in on how he's doing. He wouldn't have to let his team managers know what he's doing. Such tactics could easily backfire on the rider, jeopardizing his future.
Hey guys great thread !

LA's book(s?) is/are the new Graal and the heart of new religions. LA came out of the death after having terraced cancer, the devil of our current age. Of course only for unbrained people.