USS Steering parts~McMaster-Carr~Update

Rorschandt

Guest
I have ordered from this company twice now with rather astounding results! I've known about the
company for a while, but kept forgetting about them when I ordered hardware and the like. In the
past week I've ordered metric button head screws and metric rod-ends and some left hand taps, etc.
using the online order page. The stuff came the next day. Wow. I ordered some bolts yesterday that
I'd forgotten about in my first order. UPS Ground just brought the stuff a few minutes ago! Kewl.
Apparently, the McMaster-Carr warehouse is nearby in Ohio, thus explaining in part the fast
shipment. The web ordering process is fast, too.

I am a bit disappointed in the metric rod-ends I chose, fore-going the cost of the stainless steel
units, some of the zinc plated steel units have a tiny bit of play. Still deciding if it warrants
sending them back and reordering. They also have the hyper-lite aluminum bodied/steel ball rod- ends
for about the same cost as the stainless bits, albeit that is almost 3x what I paid. Hmmm.

Anyway, the purpose of this post is to thank someone (sorry, lost the posting) for remindiing me
about McMaster-Carr. Thank YOU!

rorschandt

[...]

"rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have ordered from this company twice now with rather astounding results! I've known about the
> company for a while, but kept forgetting about them when I ordered hardware and the like. In the
> past week I've ordered metric button head screws and metric rod-ends and some left hand taps, etc.
> using the online order page. The stuff came the next day. Wow. I ordered some bolts yesterday that
> I'd forgotten about in my first order. UPS Ground
just
> brought the stuff a few minutes ago! Kewl. Apparently, the McMaster-Carr warehouse is nearby in
> Ohio, thus explaining in part the fast shipment.
The
> web ordering process is fast, too.

Cool! They are 10 miles up the road from me (on OH 43). Would be real easy to get supplies
there. Hmmmm.

"rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have ordered from this company twice now with rather astounding results! I've known about the
> company for a while, but kept forgetting about them when I ordered hardware and the like. In the
> past week I've ordered metric button head screws and metric rod-ends and some left hand taps, etc.
> using the online order page. The stuff came the next day. Wow. I ordered some bolts yesterday that
> I'd forgotten about in my first order. UPS Ground
just
> brought the stuff a few minutes ago! Kewl. Apparently, the McMaster-Carr warehouse is nearby in
> Ohio, thus explaining in part the fast shipment.
The
> web ordering process is fast, too.

Cool! They are 10 miles up the road from me (on OH 43). Would be real easy to get supplies
there. Hmmmm.

> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:07:46 -0700, Chris Crawford <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Hi Rosrschant - I was just planning on ordering USS stuff from there myself (I'm building a USS
> >system for Bachettas) when I saw your post. Could you drop me an email at [email protected]
> >so I could shoot you some specific questions about the parts you ordered? FWIW, the rod-ends on
> >my t-bone have a bit more play to the touch than I would have expected but I can't notice it
> >during riding. Thanks
>
> Sounds like a great idea, Chris (a USS Bachetta, that is). How are you mounting the handlebars to
> the boom?
>
> Tony

Hi Tony - I bought a very short and handy 2" handlebar clamp mount from poweroncycling (stem-001).
One end clamps the handlebar, the other clamps around 1 1/4 tubing at 90 degrees. I plan on clamping
the bar clamp to a 1.25" bushing/bearing system in which the outer bushing is welded by means of 3
jet-fin looking plates to to a curved piece of .058 plate (about 6" x 4") which conforms to the
curve of the bachetta monotube. This plate assembly can be clamped anywhere on the monotube via 2
stainless worm hose clamps. This mounting system is what Reynolds used on my t-bone and seems to
work very well. It differs from George's system in that a different bushing system will be used and
it will take standard bars instead of George's custom aero bar which is aero but also heavy and
non-standard. The bar will attach via a moveable hiem rod-end joint to another rod-end hiem joint at
the fork. I plan on fashioning a custom solid Al clamp (based on or using a front der. clamp) to fit
most forks (the Bachetta in particular) to attach to front rod-end at about 3" out from the headset.
Bar-ends will be Performance Carbon Stix (very cheap and light) in which bar-end shifters can be
inserted (with a little filing on the shifter expander joint). The whole unit should be very light -
much lighter than the current Bachetta bar system (I can't stand ASS anyway). Any feedback
appreciated.

Regards Chris

Chris Crawford <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

>> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:07:46 -0700, Chris Crawford <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi Rosrschant - I was just planning on ordering USS stuff from there myself (I'm building a USS
>> >system for Bachettas) when I saw your post. Could you drop me an email at [email protected]
>> >so I could shoot you some specific questions about the parts you ordered? FWIW, the rod-ends on
>> >my t-bone have a bit more play to the touch than I would have expected but I can't notice it
>> >during riding. Thanks
>>
>> Sounds like a great idea, Chris (a USS Bachetta, that is). How are you mounting the handlebars to
>> the boom?
>>
>> Tony
>>

> Hi Tony - I bought a very short and handy 2" handlebar clamp mount from poweroncycling (stem-001).
> One end clamps the handlebar, the other clamps around 1 1/4 tubing at 90 degrees. I plan on
> clamping the bar clamp to a 1.25" bushing/bearing system in which the outer bushing is welded by
> means of 3 jet-fin looking plates to to a curved piece of .058 plate (about 6" x 4") which
> conforms to the curve of the bachetta monotube. This plate assembly can be clamped anywhere on the
> monotube via 2 stainless worm hose clamps. This mounting system is what Reynolds used on my t-bone
> and seems to work very well. It differs from George's system in that a different bushing system
> will be used and it will take standard bars instead of George's custom aero bar which is aero but
> also heavy and non-standard. The bar will attach via a moveable hiem rod-end joint to another
> rod-end hiem joint at the fork. I plan on fashioning a custom solid Al clamp (based on or using a
> front der. clamp) to fit most forks (the Bachetta in particular) to attach to front rod-end at
> about 3" out from the headset. Bar-ends will be Performance Carbon Stix (very cheap and light) in
> which bar-end shifters can be inserted (with a little filing on the shifter expander joint). The
> whole unit should be very light - much lighter than the current Bachetta bar system (I can't stand
> ASS anyway). Any feedback appreciated.
>
> Regards Chris

Does your Bachetta have a front suspension fork? You may be able to machine a small insert for the
top of the left fork leg, and connect to that. I would be afraid of the clamp-on device slipping.

rorschandt

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:30:31 -0700, Chris Crawford <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Sounds like a great idea, Chris (a USS Bachetta, that is). How are you mounting the handlebars to
>> the boom?
>>
>> Tony
>>

>Hi Tony - I bought a very short and handy 2" handlebar clamp mount from poweroncycling (stem-001).
>One end clamps the handlebar, the other clamps around 1 1/4 tubing at 90 degrees. I plan on
>clamping the bar clamp to a 1.25" bushing/bearing system in which the outer bushing is welded by
>means of 3 jet-fin looking plates to to a curved piece of .058 plate (about 6" x 4") which conforms
>to the curve of the bachetta monotube. This plate assembly can be clamped anywhere on the monotube
>via 2 stainless worm hose clamps. This mounting system is what Reynolds used on my t-bone and seems
>to work very well.

Sounds like some clever and effective engineering, Chris. Do you have a picture, by chance? I
checked George's website, but none of his pictures provide detail of the handlebar mount.

I'm toying with converting my Tailwind to USS.

>system in that a different bushing system will be used and it will take standard bars instead of
>George's custom aero bar which is aero but also heavy and non-standard. The bar will attach via a
>moveable hiem rod-end joint to another rod-end hiem joint at the fork. I plan on fashioning a
>custom solid Al clamp (based on or using a front der. clamp) to fit most forks (the Bachetta in
>particular) to attach to front rod-end at about 3" out from the headset. Bar-ends will be
>Performance Carbon Stix (very cheap and light) in which bar-end shifters can be inserted (with a
>little filing on the shifter expander joint).

Good ideas there. I believe Greg Peek sells the fully adjustable bar ends that Longbikes uses on the
Slipstream, too, in the event that the Carbon Stix don't work out.

Regards,

Tony

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:30:31 -0700, Chris Crawford <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Sounds like a great idea, Chris (a USS Bachetta, that is). How are you mounting the handlebars to
>> the boom?
>>
>> Tony
>>

>Hi Tony - I bought a very short and handy 2" handlebar clamp mount from poweroncycling (stem-001).
>One end clamps the handlebar, the other clamps around 1 1/4 tubing at 90 degrees. I plan on
>clamping the bar clamp to a 1.25" bushing/bearing system in which the outer bushing is welded by
>means of 3 jet-fin looking plates to to a curved piece of .058 plate (about 6" x 4") which conforms
>to the curve of the bachetta monotube. This plate assembly can be clamped anywhere on the monotube
>via 2 stainless worm hose clamps. This mounting system is what Reynolds used on my t-bone and seems
>to work very well.

Sounds like some clever and effective engineering, Chris. Do you have a picture, by chance? I
checked George's website, but none of his pictures provide detail of the handlebar mount.

I'm toying with converting my Tailwind to USS.

>system in that a different bushing system will be used and it will take standard bars instead of
>George's custom aero bar which is aero but also heavy and non-standard. The bar will attach via a
>moveable hiem rod-end joint to another rod-end hiem joint at the fork. I plan on fashioning a
>custom solid Al clamp (based on or using a front der. clamp) to fit most forks (the Bachetta in
>particular) to attach to front rod-end at about 3" out from the headset. Bar-ends will be
>Performance Carbon Stix (very cheap and light) in which bar-end shifters can be inserted (with a
>little filing on the shifter expander joint).

Good ideas there. I believe Greg Peek sells the fully adjustable bar ends that Longbikes uses on the
Slipstream, too, in the event that the Carbon Stix don't work out.

Regards,

Tony

> Does your Bachetta have a front suspension fork? You may be able to machine a small insert for the
> top of the left fork leg, and connect to that. I

No - standard fork. Al or Steel. As you could tell from my emails, I'm no expert machinist, but
solid Al clamping has always worked well for me
e.g. DF seat posts and my t-bone which has the two seat supports running into solid Al clamps on the
chain stays. They seem to take a lot of thrust weight.

Regards Chris

Sorry, no pictures yet. some pieces are only partially assembled and oh yeah did I mention I don't
have the Bachetta frame yet? Looking for a good deal on something used.

George uses a more complicated assembly that is both the seat mount and the steering and uses a very
flat steel bar mounted in a small cage with an upper and lower bushing.

I'll eventually get around to some pics.