UST or normal?

Status

Jon Bond

Guest
Need wheels for the Blur. Can't afford Chris Kings, so I'm going for the WTB Laser Disc Lite Hubs
(basically rebadged american classics, slightly different seals, better customer service, and
cheap!), DB 14ga. spokes. Only question that's left is the rim.

I was going to get mavic X317s, or maybe some of the DT Disc rims if I can get them. Anyway, now I'm
considering UST rims - the X3.1s. I do pinch flat a lot, probably my fault for not checking the
pressure enough ;) I don't have a big stock of tires or anything right now, so I'm not worried about
getting new tires. And I've got access to a compressor until the end of the summer, and I'll
probably have access to one up at school too, so that's not a problem.

I'm looking to make my bike pretty light, but durable, and I don't mind a few grams here and there,
so the extra weight doesn't bother me all that much, although it is a consideration.

So, UST or not? Convince me!

Jon Bond

Superslinky

Guest
Jon Bond said...

> So, UST or not? Convince me!
>
> Jon Bond

I can't speak from experience, but if I was building a custom bike, I would try them. If they didn't
hold air or whatever, feck it, put an ultra-light tube in there.

Jon Bond

Guest
"SuperSlinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jon Bond said...
>
> > So, UST or not? Convince me!
> >
> > Jon Bond
>
> I can't speak from experience, but if I was building a custom bike, I would try them. If they
> didn't hold air or whatever, feck it, put an ultra-light tube in there.

55g heavier per wheel rim so that'd be 110g, or about a quarter of a pound. Not that much weight,
but since the frame is heavy, and I'm light, I'd either like to use UST only, or use normal ones
(maybe with stans). One of the advantages of tubes over UST is weight - if I'm using tubes anyway,
not worth the UST ;)

Jon Bond

B A R R Y B U R

Guest
On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 21:02:44 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:

>So, UST or not? Convince me!
>
>Jon Bond

You work in a shop. Try to get a set of Mavic's demo wheels, try them yourself, and make your
own decision.

_Riding UST_ got me to BUY UST wheels. I taco'd a wheel two years ago at Pedrosfest and the Mavic
guys loaned me a set of Crossmaxes for the rest of the weekend. It sure sold me!

Barry

Jon Bond

Guest
"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <n/[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 21:02:44 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]tufts.edu> wrote:
>

> >So, UST or not? Convince me!
> >
> >Jon Bond
> >

> You work in a shop. Try to get a set of Mavic's demo wheels, try them yourself, and make your own
> decision.
>
> _Riding UST_ got me to BUY UST wheels. I taco'd a wheel two years ago at Pedrosfest and the Mavic
> guys loaned me a set of Crossmaxes for the rest of the weekend. It sure sold me!
>
> Barry

LOL. If I could afford crossmaxes, I'd probably already have 'em ;) We don't have any demo wheels in
the store right now, but I'll ask the other guys what they think about them. Most of them are
roadies that mountain bike on the side, but not all.

Jon Bond

Chris

Guest
"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Need wheels for the Blur. Can't afford Chris Kings, so I'm going for the WTB Laser Disc Lite Hubs
> (basically rebadged american classics, slightly different seals, better customer service, and
> cheap!), DB 14ga. spokes. Only question that's left is the rim.
>
> I was going to get mavic X317s, or maybe some of the DT Disc rims if I can get them. Anyway, now
> I'm considering UST rims - the X3.1s. I do pinch flat a lot, probably my fault for not checking
> the pressure enough ;) I don't have a big stock of tires or anything right now, so I'm not worried
> about getting new tires. And I've got access to a compressor until the
end
> of the summer, and I'll probably have access to one up at school too, so that's not a problem.
>
> I'm looking to make my bike pretty light, but durable, and I don't mind a few grams here and
> there, so the extra weight doesn't bother me all that much, although it is a consideration.
>
> So, UST or not? Convince me!
>
> Jon Bond

I think I would recommend USTs to you, Mr. Bond. I gather you're a lightweight XC racer, so
ordinarily I wouldn't say to go for tubeless, but you claim to pinch flat a lot...so you have no
other choice. I've been tubeless for over a year - to specifically stop my weekly pinch flatting -
and have had zero flats since. The only time I took a tire off a rim since going to UST was to
replace it because it was worn out.

The weight penalty is not that bad. Yes, the tires are heavier, and the rim strip weighs a bit more,
but you don't have the 300-400 grams of tubes on board either. My Bontrager Race Tubeless wheels
with IRC Serac XCs weigh less than my Bontrager Selects with tubes and Michelin Sprint-something
semi-slicks.

You won't need a compressor, assuming you have even a half-decent pump. I have never had difficulty
seating a UST bead in my life using a Topeak Joe-Blow-whatever floor pump. For me, the only problem
is getting the tire onto the rim. They just don't want to stretch over sometimes, which can put you
in a bad place if you flat in a race. But since you won't pinch-flat...

So even if Roland and Ryder are tubeless, I still think UST is usually better for the long-travel
Dew swillers. However, I used to pinch flat all the damn time, and I haven't in over a year now.
Since there is almost no risk of punctures in Maryland (a really sharp root?) UST is the way for me.
So, I guess my best advice is: try it out, you'll probably like it.

Chris

Jd

Guest
> So even if Roland and Ryder are tubeless, I still think UST is usually better for the long-travel
> Dew swillers.

I doubt that because of limited tire selection.

JD

Rick B

Guest
I have Mavic X3.1's on my bike I have had them for a bit over a year and they have never needed
trued I am about 230lbs and these are the best wheels I have ever used. The lack of rolling
resistance is noticeable and the traction has been amazing. I use sealant in them and I have only
gotten 1 flat from tearing a tire. I am building up a Bullit and I considered using the x3.1 on it
but I opted for a tad more weight and got the d3.1 ..

"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Need wheels for the Blur. Can't afford Chris Kings, so I'm going for the WTB Laser Disc Lite Hubs
> (basically rebadged american classics, slightly different seals, better customer service, and
> cheap!), DB 14ga. spokes. Only question that's left is the rim.
>
> I was going to get mavic X317s, or maybe some of the DT Disc rims if I can get them. Anyway, now
> I'm considering UST rims - the X3.1s. I do pinch flat a lot, probably my fault for not checking
> the pressure enough ;) I don't have a big stock of tires or anything right now, so I'm not worried
> about getting new tires. And I've got access to a compressor until the
end
> of the summer, and I'll probably have access to one up at school too, so that's not a problem.
>
> I'm looking to make my bike pretty light, but durable, and I don't mind a few grams here and
> there, so the extra weight doesn't bother me all that much, although it is a consideration.
>
> So, UST or not? Convince me!
>
> Jon Bond

Slartibartfast

Guest
"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Need wheels for the Blur. Can't afford Chris Kings, so I'm going for the WTB Laser Disc Lite Hubs
> (basically rebadged american classics, slightly different seals, better customer service, and
> cheap!), DB 14ga. spokes. Only question that's left is the rim.
>
> I was going to get mavic X317s, or maybe some of the DT Disc rims if I can get them. Anyway, now
> I'm considering UST rims - the X3.1s. I do pinch flat a lot, probably my fault for not checking
> the pressure enough ;) I

If you dont check presure enough to keep from pinch flatting, I cant recomend going tubless. I
have to check my tires every single ride. although a flat tire is a great reminder that you
need some air.

Nate

Guest
"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Need wheels for the Blur. Can't afford Chris Kings, so I'm going for the WTB Laser Disc Lite Hubs
> (basically rebadged american classics, slightly different seals, better customer service, and
> cheap!), DB 14ga. spokes. Only question that's left is the rim.
>
> I was going to get mavic X317s, or maybe some of the DT Disc rims if I can get them. Anyway, now
> I'm considering UST rims - the X3.1s. I do pinch flat a lot, probably my fault for not checking
> the pressure enough ;) I don't have a big stock of tires or anything right now, so I'm not worried
> about getting new tires. And I've got access to a compressor until the end of the summer, and I'll
> probably have access to one up at school too, so that's not a problem.
>
> I'm looking to make my bike pretty light, but durable, and I don't mind a few grams here and
> there, so the extra weight doesn't bother me all that much, although it is a consideration.
>
> So, UST or not? Convince me!
>
> Jon Bond

Jon,

IME, I've ridden ust crossmax for over a year now, racing them 2 or 3 times a month for several
months. these have been more reliable than antyhing else i have used in the past 7 years. I have
pinch flatted a hutchinson scorpion twice (super soft rubber compound)in the past year, but i run
some VERY low pressures in certain conditions (i weigh 160). so don't think you are 100% impervious
to the snakebite. i have a panaracer trailblaster that used to leak to completely flat within 12
hours from many tiny punctures. I used a little ust slime and now the tire holds air as good as any
tubed tire i own. i hear stan's is just as good, but lighter. i have such confidence in these tires
and wheels, i quit taking a spare tube, co2 and levers in my jersey when i race a familiar course.
being in your shoes, i'd say give it a go.

nate

Technician

Guest
slartibartfast <[email protected]> spoke thusly...

> "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Need wheels for the Blur. Can't afford Chris Kings, so I'm going for the WTB Laser Disc Lite
> > Hubs (basically rebadged american classics, slightly different seals, better customer service,
> > and cheap!), DB 14ga. spokes. Only question that's left is the rim.
> >
> > I was going to get mavic X317s, or maybe some of the DT Disc rims if I can get them. Anyway, now
> > I'm considering UST rims - the X3.1s. I do pinch flat a lot, probably my fault for not checking
> > the pressure enough ;) I
>
> If you dont check presure enough to keep from pinch flatting, I cant recomend going tubless. I
> have to check my tires every single ride. although a flat tire is a great reminder that you need
> some air.

Would tube slime help this? my rear tire has been slammed so many times the tube must be shredded, i
think the slime is all that is holding it together. perhaps tube slime would be just enough to keep
the small bead leaks sealed up. if nothing else, perhaps running a thin bead of beutal (stove
sealant) along the inner edge of the bead would seal it up, and still stay flexible, and still allow
tire changes (if you don't mind long sticky strings of beutal everywhere).
--
~Travis

Bill Wheeler

Guest
On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 21:02:44 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Need wheels for the Blur. Can't afford Chris Kings, so I'm going for the WTB Laser Disc Lite Hubs
>(basically rebadged american classics, slightly different seals, better customer service, and
>cheap!), DB 14ga. spokes. Only question that's left is the rim.
>
>I was going to get mavic X317s, or maybe some of the DT Disc rims if I can get them. Anyway, now
>I'm considering UST rims - the X3.1s. I do pinch flat a lot, probably my fault for not checking the
>pressure enough ;) I don't have a big stock of tires or anything right now, so I'm not worried
>about getting new tires. And I've got access to a compressor until the end of the summer, and I'll
>probably have access to one up at school too, so that's not a problem.
>
>I'm looking to make my bike pretty light, but durable, and I don't mind a few grams here and there,
>so the extra weight doesn't bother me all that much, although it is a consideration.
>
>So, UST or not? Convince me!
>
>Jon Bond

Don't know Commander, make a choice and live with it.

:-]

Jon Bond

Guest
> On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 21:02:44 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Need wheels for the Blur. Can't afford Chris Kings, so I'm going for the WTB Laser Disc Lite Hubs
> >(basically rebadged american classics, slightly different seals, better customer service, and
> >cheap!), DB 14ga. spokes. Only question that's left is the rim.
> >
> >I was going to get mavic X317s, or maybe some of the DT Disc rims if I
can
> >get them. Anyway, now I'm considering UST rims - the X3.1s. I do pinch flat a lot, probably my
> >fault for not checking the pressure enough ;) I don't have a big stock of tires or anything right
> >now, so I'm not worried about getting new tires. And I've got access to a compressor until the
end
> >of the summer, and I'll probably have access to one up at school too, so that's not a problem.
> >
> >I'm looking to make my bike pretty light, but durable, and I don't mind a few grams here and
> >there, so the extra weight doesn't bother me all that much, although it is a consideration.
> >
> >So, UST or not? Convince me!
> >
> >Jon Bond
> >

> Don't know Commander, make a choice and live with it.
>
> Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
> mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
> :-]

Lol. I think I'm going to go with UST - after all, I'm going full out hype mobile here - VPP, Disc
Brakes, Air shocks, and in a couple years XTR (while I can still get sponsorship prices!). Gonna
drop by the bike shop tomorrow and see what I can drum up.

Jon Bond

Chris

Guest
> "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > So even if Roland and Ryder are tubeless, I still think UST is usually better for the
> > long-travel Dew swillers.
>
> I doubt that because of limited tire selection.
>
> JD

...which is more than made up for by increased traction via low low pressure, and non-existant
pinch flats.

Tires will keep coming, but tubes will keep flatting.

Chris

Chris Phillipo

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > So even if Roland and Ryder are tubeless, I still think UST is usually better for the
> > > long-travel Dew swillers.
> >
> > I doubt that because of limited tire selection.
> >
> > JD
>
> ...which is more than made up for by increased traction via low low pressure, and non-existant
> pinch flats.
>
> Tires will keep coming, but tubes will keep flatting.
>
> Chris

What do you define as low pressure? I laughed pretty hard when a guy with USTs running 35 in them
thought it was low pressure.
--
_________________________

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> >
> > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > >
> > > I doubt that because of limited tire selection.
> > >
> > > JD
> >
> > ...which is more than made up for by increased traction via low low pressure, and non-existant
> > pinch flats.
> >
> > Tires will keep coming, but tubes will keep flatting.
> >
> > Chris
> >

> What do you define as low pressure? I laughed pretty hard when a guy with USTs running 35 in them
> thought it was low pressure.

12-14 psi, tubed, very rocky terrain, no pinches, no rim dings.

Shaun aRe - Can't resist taking the opportunity.........

Anthony Sloan

Guest
Jon Bond wrote:

>Need wheels for the Blur. Can't afford Chris Kings, so I'm going for the WTB Laser Disc Lite Hubs
>(basically rebadged american classics, slightly different seals, better customer service, and
>cheap!), DB 14ga. spokes. Only question that's left is the rim.
>
>I was going to get mavic X317s, or maybe some of the DT Disc rims if I can get them. Anyway, now
>I'm considering UST rims - the X3.1s. I do pinch flat a lot, probably my fault for not checking the
>pressure enough ;) I don't have a big stock of tires or anything right now, so I'm not worried
>about getting new tires. And I've got access to a compressor until the end of the summer, and I'll
>probably have access to one up at school too, so that's not a problem.
>
>I'm looking to make my bike pretty light, but durable, and I don't mind a few grams here and there,
>so the extra weight doesn't bother me all that much, although it is a consideration.
>
>So, UST or not? Convince me!
>
>Jon Bond

My opinion, go UST. I have been quite happy with mine.

Jd

Guest
> Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] says...
> > >
> > > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> news:<[email protected]>...
> usually

> > > ...which is more than made up for by increased traction via low low pressure, and non-existant
> > > pinch flats.
> > >
> > > Tires will keep coming, but tubes will keep flatting.

Rims will keep denting and then air will be escaping.

> > > Chris
> > >

> > What do you define as low pressure? I laughed pretty hard when a guy with USTs running 35 in
> > them thought it was low pressure.
>
> 12-14 psi, tubed, very rocky terrain, no pinches, no rim dings.

Sidewalks aren't technical enough to use as a comparison, Shaunny.

Jock Duff

Chris Phillipo

Guest
> > > Chris
> > >

> > What do you define as low pressure? I laughed pretty hard when a guy with USTs running 35 in
> > them thought it was low pressure.
>
> 12-14 psi, tubed, very rocky terrain, no pinches, no rim dings.
>

> Shaun aRe - Can't resist taking the opportunity.........

Well I'm not running your tractor tires but I run 24 front 28 rear on my
2.1" "old tubed" tires and even that feels pretty hard sometimes. My only flat this year so far was
from a m#$%er f$#king beer bottle on the trail.
--

Status
Not open for further replies.