UST Rims + normal tires?

Graham Haller

Guest
I have heard that it's possible to fit normal tires to a UST rim using Stans notube latex mixture.
Has any one tried it? and if so does it work?

Just checking before a riding mate makes a mess of his UST rims.....

> I have heard that it's possible to fit normal tires to a UST rim using Stans notube latex mixture.
> Has any one tried it? and if so does it work?
>
> Just checking before a riding mate makes a mess of his UST rims.....

It's even easier if you use a tube.
--
_________________________

"Graham Haller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have heard that it's possible to fit normal tires to a UST rim using Stans notube latex mixture.
> Has any one tried it? and if so does it work?
>
> Just checking before a riding mate makes a mess of his UST rims.....

It's popular among racers; a shop around here sells Blurs set up this way pretty regularly.

I haven't tried it personally, because I'm not that desperate to shave 300 grams, but it does work
if done correctly.

I cannot, however, guide you as to what. exactly, the correct process is.

Chris

This works fine, I am running this on my XTR wheels now with Specialized Roll-X Pro tires.

A word of caution, however. While Stan's system works extremely well on most tires, it does not work
well on others. If you want to run a 350g tire, forget it and put in a tube. I have had poor luck
with Continental tires also, including the ProTection versions, although those were marginally
acceptible.

I have had nothing but good luck with Panaracer, Specialized Roll-X, Kenda, and Hutchinson. I highly
recommend Stan's system, to the point where I will not choose some tires because they don't work
well with it. Running without a tube results in a difference you can *definitely* feel.

In my experience talking with people who *don't* like Stan's setup, most if not all are either (a)
Not very mechanically inclined or don't have access to a compressor for initial inflation (which
does make it a LOT easier), (b) Running ridiculously light tires or tires with very porous sidewalls
(Continental Explorer Supersonics, for example), or (c) Ran the tire six months without problems and
then got a flat and concluded that the system doesn't work. Like any good system, you only notice
the Stan's when it lets you down - and you never know how many flats it saves you from. I have
removed old, cut tires and found several places where Stan's has fixed punctures, so I think the
stuff works pretty damned well.

Most of the complaints, and particularly the ones from the idiots with the Oliver's YesTubes thing,
are from people who frankly don't know what they are talking about. It's OK with me, though, because
I can run lightweight tires at lower pressures and with lower rolling resistance than they can. If
they want to go slow, that's their problem. I'm not sure why they feel the need to be out there
crusading against the product as if it were a religion. They don't like it, so they don't have to
use it. They can give it a bad review. Fine, we all get it, OK? Some of us just don't agree. Why
spend money on a domain name and web space? Get a life, shut up and ride.

The only disadvantage I see with Stan's is that when you do finally flat (and no matter how good
the system is, you eventually will flat), it is a little messy putting a tube in. Especially if you
have the rim strip in there and have to stick that nasty thing in your Camelbak. For me, the
trade-off is worth it.

Bill _/)_