UST rims

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Per ElmsäTer, Oct 29, 2003.

  1. Hi

    Has anybody tried mounting a regular tire on a Mavic X3.1 UST disc rim? I haven't been able to find
    a studded tire for USt so I'd like to mount my current Nokian Extremes on this wheel I'm about to
    build. All the other UST rims from Mavic are clearly stated as ETRTO compatible except these.
    Including X3.1 UST for Vbrakes and DX3.1 UST disc for downhill. ETRTO means that you can mount
    either a UST or normal tire on the rim. Mind you not just a tube in a UST tire but the whole tube
    and tire. I don't know what you call them in English actually. In Swedish directly translated it
    would be "Edgethreaded" tires. Meaning a thread is running all the way around either edge ;)

    --
    Perre

  2. It would be interesting to use a stan's no tube rim strip with the nokian extremes or WXC300's on
    mavic ust 3.1 rims... WITHOUT the tube. http://notubes.com/ustrimstrip.htm

    Although I've never tried it... I would think that one could put any standard tire/tube on a UST rim
    and it would work just fine.

    charlie

  3. Charles Beristain wrote:
    > It would be interesting to use a stan's no tube rim strip with the nokian extremes or WXC300's on
    > mavic ust 3.1 rims... WITHOUT the tube. http://notubes.com/ustrimstrip.htm
    >
    > Although I've never tried it... I would think that one could put any standard tire/tube on a UST
    > rim and it would work just fine.

    Very interesting. The thought had already occured to me.I will give it a try for sure. It seems
    according to Mavic that my rims are certified. The reason it says nowhere is because they weren't
    certified from the beginning.
    --
    Perre

  4. On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 02:41:52 GMT, Charles Beristain <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Although I've never tried it... I would think that one could put any standard tire/tube on a UST
    >rim and it would work just fine.

    It does. I've done it with Crossmax wheels, and plan on doing it again with studded Nokian
    this winter.

    Barry

  5. Ahhhh barry.. put those nokians on Snowcats to take full advantage of those great tires. .. rims are
    44mm wide. gives a much larger contact patch and with more verticle sidewalls, less opportunity to
    pinch flat. charlie

  6. On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:57:15 GMT, Charles Beristain <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ahhhh barry.. put those nokians on Snowcats to take full advantage of those great tires. .. rims
    >are 44mm wide.

    Do you know who distributes Snowcat rims?

    I'll order some up and lace them to some nice disc hubs.

    Barry

  7. barry simon of AWS ( all weather sports), invented and build/sold snowcat rims... recently he went
    out of business... but you can be a local distributor/retailer .. see this web page:

    http://www.allweathersports.com/winter/snowcats.html

    you can see pics of mine at:

    http://home.comcast.net/~mtbikes2/icebike/icebike.htm

    the links on that page don't work as i haven't updated them since the changeover from ATT
    to comcast.

    charlie

  8. On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 02:37:36 GMT, Charles Beristain <[email protected]> wrote:

    >barry simon of AWS ( all weather sports), invented and build/sold snowcat rims... recently he went
    >out of business... but you can be a local distributor/retailer .. see this web page:
    >
    >http://www.allweathersports.com/winter/snowcats.html

    I looked them up yesterday in a program called "Bike-A-Log" we have at the shop. I was trying
    to find out if any of our regular suppliers, like QBP carried them. It seems as if he always
    sold direct.

    >you can see pics of mine at:
    >
    >http://home.comcast.net/~mtbikes2/icebike/icebike.htm

    I remember seeing yours one in person, but had forgotten about them.

    Thanks, Barry