"Utility" Cyclists Board?

RedHotIron

Dec 15, 2006
I see no way to directly contact the mods, so i'm sticking this in here: How about a board for "Utility" cyclists (must be a better name for us...we also enjoy the act of cycling, even if we are picking up the groceries.)

I have a "messenger's bag" that I would recommend others to consider for errands.

I am happy with it's capacity, and rarely need to hang bags off my handlebars. I also use it in my commute for clothes and lunches and stuff. Very handy indeed!

Tailwinds!

RedHotIron said:
I see no way to directly contact the mods, so i'm sticking this in here: How about a board for "Utility" cyclists (must be a better name for us...we also enjoy the act of cycling, even if we are picking up the groceries.)
I think this is the proper board for that. To me, commuting means using your bike as transportation and not just for fitness and recreation.

jfellrath said:
I think this is the proper board for that. To me, commuting means using your bike as transportation and not just for fitness and recreation.

Hear, hear. This board is relatively low traffic anyway, so I'd welcome more chatter about utility cycling.

Ride on!

Maybe "Utility" could be added to the title. Commuting certainly comes under utility but not all utility is commuting. We utils would like some recognition unto ourselves.:)

I'm working on a safety flag that sticks out horizontally into the lane, based on a commercial version that's no longer made - my response to numerous near misses by local drivers. I used a 2 ft piece of 22mm PVC piping & secured a 13" day-glo orange safety flag to it using Gortilla Glue, to be reinforced with some brass screws (glue alone is never reliable under stress, altho epoxy is the best.)

I wanted to use double-sided velcro to secure the pipe to the bike, but i emailed 2 companies & they never answered. Anyone know any US sources? I may be forced to use duct tape.