Utility, err, utensil bike in Africa

Marc Brett wrote on 23/06/2007 12:52 +0100:
> Peter Kahugu, in Banana Hill, Kenya (near Nairobi), makes a living using
> his bicycle to sharpen knives for his neighbors:
>
> http://www.boingboing.net/2007/06/22/diy_gadgets_in_afric.html

I can remember when I was growing up here in the UK that the knife
sharpener would call and offer to sharpen your knives and scissors.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Tony Raven wrote:
> Marc Brett wrote on 23/06/2007 12:52 +0100:
>> Peter Kahugu, in Banana Hill, Kenya (near Nairobi), makes a living using
>> his bicycle to sharpen knives for his neighbors:
>>
>> http://www.boingboing.net/2007/06/22/diy_gadgets_in_afric.html
>>

> I can remember when I was growing up here in the UK that the knife
> sharpener would call and offer to sharpen your knives and scissors.

Ours would fix holes in pots & pans & kettles too. His bike was nowhere
near as well maintained as the African's appears to be.

On 23 Jun, 13:00, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> Marc Brett wrote on 23/06/2007 12:52 +0100:
>
> > Peter Kahugu, in Banana Hill, Kenya (near Nairobi), makes a living using
> > his bicycle to sharpen knives for his neighbors:

> I can remember when I was growing up here in the UK that the knife
> sharpener would call and offer to sharpen your knives and scissors.

Yes I remember these chaps being a regular sight through the 1960's
and 70's .
As a child I got in the doghouse by giving one a selection of the
carving knives that came back looking more scratched all over than
sharpened.
TerryJ

"TerryJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 23 Jun, 13:00, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Marc Brett wrote on 23/06/2007 12:52 +0100:
>>
>> > Peter Kahugu, in Banana Hill, Kenya (near Nairobi), makes a living
>> > using
>> > his bicycle to sharpen knives for his neighbors:

>> I can remember when I was growing up here in the UK that the knife
>> sharpener would call and offer to sharpen your knives and scissors.
>>

> Yes I remember these chaps being a regular sight through the 1960's
> and 70's .
> As a child I got in the doghouse by giving one a selection of the
> carving knives that came back looking more scratched all over than
> sharpened.
> TerryJ

I was sharpening our carving knife in my garage, when my neighbours wife
noticed and gave me an old knife to put an edge on - after I handed it back,
she returned with all the knives she could lay her hands on! Now I make sure
nobody sees me doing that again.
Fred

On 23 Jun, 13:22, TerryJ <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I can remember when I was growing up here in the UK that the knife
> > sharpener would call and offer to sharpen your knives and scissors.

We still have an old guy call every year asking to sharpen stuff.
Sadly he drives a van not a bike, but he did all our garden shears and
stuff last summer.