UW pedal distance/crank length

DarkTom

Guest
Howdy!

Me and my Dad are making an UW from a 26" rim and some old unicycle
cranks.

We know what to do and how to do it, we just aren't sure what the best
crank length (distance from the centre of the wheel to the pedal) would
be.

I have searched for and read similar threads on the forums but none I
read stated the exact length they used.

My 24" muni has 165mm cranks so I reckon 170mm would do for a 26" UW.

Does anyone have any experience in building/riding UW's that can help me
as we would appreciate any advice before we start cutting.

Nice One.

Thomas.

--
DarkTom - MathoFackoo!

I AM THE CIRCUS.
DarkTom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6515

I have 165's on my 36" one, and 130 on my 24"

You will get used to anything you put on really, but holding a tape
measure up to a 26" wheel, I would suggest 150 would do nicely

--
Brian MacKenzie - LAN Solo

Forthcoming DVD
TRAINING WHEEL NOT REQUIRED:
'8mb Trailer' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/TWNR_Trailer1.wmv)

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://londonunicyclingclub.ca/unicycleReviews.aspx)
*113* reviews on *75* products, never make an uninformed purchase again!

TWNR US Release Party Feb 19 in Cleveland at
'Ray's Indoor Mountainbike Park' (http://www.raysmtb.com)! Click 'here'
(http://tinyurl.com/5qnwb) for more info
YOU NEED TO BE ON THE LIST I SUBMIT ON JAN 30 IN ORDER TO COME, PLEASE
EMAIL ME AT BRIANANDLEEANNE (AT) SYMPATICO.CA

Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

My 24" Bedford UW has a crank length of about 127.5 mm. It's a standard
24" UW with a 24x1.75 street tire.

A crank length of about 137 mm would actually give the same crank ratio
on the 26" as what I have on my 24".

The club I'm in has a 26" UW and it has really long cranks. I don't
know what it's crank length is, I just know it's long. It seems to be
easy to ride with the long cranks. It would probably be better to error
on the side of too long rather than too short for a general purpose 26
UW. Maybe a crank length of 150 or so.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Thanks brian and john for your advice, here is the finished wheel. Still
needs painted, pedals, tyre and tube, but it's done. We went with
150mm.

I'll let you know what it's like when I'v managed to ride it for a
bit.

Thomas.

| Attachment filename: wheel.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/261489|

DarkTom - MathoFackoo!

I AM THE CIRCUS.
DarkTom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6515

The UW didn't work.

I went the length of my hall about 3 times before it broke.

The plates covering the cranks weren't thick enough metal and allowed
the crank-ends to move underneath the plates. The plates were fine for
vertical pressure on pedal (i.e. crank-end vertical) but horizontal
pressure just made the crank-ends roll over within the wheel and bend
the metal plates.

I've ordered me an UW pedal boss kit from unicycle.com. Then I'll start
again!

Cheers for your help anyway people!

T.

--
DarkTom - Burn the "Dark" off!

KlownLife burnt my name! I'm so proud!
DarkTom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6515

my 24 uw is 2 streel squrare tubes from home depot with crank pieces
welded on...it will never break (bars welded to rim in a + pattern)

Much easier to deal with than a big solid peice, being ablt to carry a
uw in your hand...as well as something else, well that's just great.

--
Brian MacKenzie - LAN Solo

Forthcoming DVD
TRAINING WHEEL NOT REQUIRED:
'8mb Trailer' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/TWNR_Trailer1.wmv)

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://londonunicyclingclub.ca/unicycleReviews.aspx)
*113* reviews on *75* products, never make an uninformed purchase again!

TWNR US Release Party Feb 19 in Cleveland at
'Ray's Indoor Mountainbike Park' (http://www.raysmtb.com)! Click 'here'
(http://tinyurl.com/5qnwb) for more info
YOU NEED TO BE ON THE LIST I SUBMIT ON JAN 30 IN ORDER TO COME, PLEASE
EMAIL ME AT BRIANANDLEEANNE (AT) SYMPATICO.CA

Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

Brian, man. I think I saw a photo of your UW while I was looking for
tips etc for my own. It does indeed look cool.

As for the carrying issue, I was thinking about drilling 5 finger-sized
holes into the centre of it so it's kinda like a bowling ball to
carry.

Anyway, I got an email from Roger saying the boss kits are specially
made to order so I'll have to wait a couple of weeks to get it.

Ho-hum.

T.

--
DarkTom - Burn the "Dark" off!

I got my name burnt! I'm so proud!

Brian MacKenzie wrote:
> *my 24 uw is 2 streel squrare tubes from home depot with crank pieces
> welded on...it will never break (bars welded to rim in a + pattern)
> *

I've seen many pictures of UWs built this way. Does this design require
a stronger rim, as compared to the disc style Udubs, because it's only
being supported by four points?

--
daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

Check out my 'pics ' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino)
'My X-a-n-g-a' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
I need to find a job