Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

V-brake arms too close together?

Started by Ned Mantei · · Last activity · 2 posts · 329 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
26 September 2004
Last activity
26 September 2004
Original author
Ned Mantei
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
329
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. After many unsuccessful attempts to quiet the Shimao XT V-brakes on my
    mountain bike, I gave up and "downgraded" to Deore brakes without the
    parallel linkage. I installed them with Koolstop brakeshoes (with
    integral threaded stem). The installation instructions for the brakes
    say that the distance between the linkage holding the "pipe" and the
    second brake arm should be at least 39 mm. I end up with about 28 mm,
    even when I arrange the washers on the brake shoes to have the largest
    spacing to the inside (6 mm). Given that there is still enough tire
    clearance, is there any possible problem with the reduced spacing?

    Thanks for your advice.

    --
    Ned Mantei
    Department of Cell Biology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
    CH-8093 Zurich, Switzerland

  2. Ned Mantei said:

    After many unsuccessful attempts to quiet the Shimao XT V-brakes on my
    mountain bike, I gave up and "downgraded" to Deore brakes without the
    parallel linkage. I installed them with Koolstop brakeshoes (with
    integral threaded stem). The installation instructions for the brakes
    say that the distance between the linkage holding the "pipe" and the
    second brake arm should be at least 39 mm. I end up with about 28 mm,
    even when I arrange the washers on the brake shoes to have the largest
    spacing to the inside (6 mm). Given that there is still enough tire
    clearance, is there any possible problem with the reduced spacing?

    Thanks for your advice.

    guess your frame spacing is set for xt. your new solution should still
    work with the smaller spacing, but if you ride in mud, the very high
    wear rate can easily mean you're quickly in trouble if the arms get too
    close.

    regarding one last attempt at using the xt's, you may want to look into
    a brake booster. i fitted one of these
    http://www.cambriabike.com/brakes/salsa_carbon_arc_brake_booster.htm and
    found it very effectively killed the squeal on one frame i have. the
    reason for the salsa is that it's big and doesn't flex. some others
    i've seen, especially the alloy ones, are next to useless.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.