V-brake calipers with reversible noodles?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Phil, Mar 30, 2003.

  1. Phil

    Phil Guest

    As a Squid-in-Training, I run my front brake on the right hand. Many of you know that motorcycles
    have their front brake on the right (generally the dominant hand) side of the handlebar. It should
    always be this way. I think they do it motorcycle-style in Europe and Japan, but I'm not sure.

    Anyways, my question is if anybody here knows of any brake calipers other than the Avid Ultimates
    that have a reversible noodle feature. I would like to put my brakes on with the cable on the
    correct side (since i'm wrong-handed).

    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Tags:

  2. Jim Smith

    Jim Smith Guest

    [email protected] (Phil) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > As a Squid-in-Training, I run my front brake on the right hand. Many of you know that motorcycles
    > have their front brake on the right (generally the dominant hand) side of the handlebar. It should
    > always be this way. I think they do it motorcycle-style in Europe and Japan, but I'm not sure.
    >
    > Anyways, my question is if anybody here knows of any brake calipers other than the Avid Ultimates
    > that have a reversible noodle feature. I would like to put my brakes on with the cable on the
    > correct side (since i'm wrong-handed).
    >
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Odyssey A brakes have that feature. Gaerlan usually has them, but they are out of stock.
    http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/parts/brakes/brakes.html I don't know of any other myself. Regards
    Jim Smith Catskill NY

  3. Bob Taylor

    Bob Taylor Guest

    Paul's V-brakes feature noodles which are reversible but they are pretty expensive. You can take a
    look at (http://www.paulcomp.com)

    Bob Taylor

    [email protected] (Phil) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > As a Squid-in-Training, I run my front brake on the right hand. Many of you know that motorcycles
    > have their front brake on the right (generally the dominant hand) side of the handlebar. It should
    > always be this way. I think they do it motorcycle-style in Europe and Japan, but I'm not sure.
    >
    > Anyways, my question is if anybody here knows of any brake calipers other than the Avid Ultimates
    > that have a reversible noodle feature. I would like to put my brakes on with the cable on the
    > correct side (since i'm wrong-handed).
    >
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

  4. Phil

    Phil Guest

    [email protected] (Jim Smith) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Phil) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > As a Squid-in-Training, I run my front brake on the right hand. Many of you know that
    > > motorcycles have their front brake on the right (generally the dominant hand) side of the
    > > handlebar. It should always be this way. I think they do it motorcycle-style in Europe and
    > > Japan, but I'm not sure.
    > >
    > > Anyways, my question is if anybody here knows of any brake calipers other than the Avid
    > > Ultimates that have a reversible noodle feature. I would like to put my brakes on with the cable
    > > on the correct side (since i'm wrong-handed).
    > >
    > > Phil, Squid-in-Training
    >
    > Odyssey A brakes have that feature. Gaerlan usually has them, but they are out of stock.
    > http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/parts/brakes/brakes.html I don't know of any other myself.
    > Regards Jim Smith Catskill NY

    This appears to be a great deal... The thing that sucks though is that they've got a shorter arm and
    smaller leverage. My Avids have adjustable pull though, so that shouldn't be as big of a problem.

    Do you think that these brakes clear MTB tires? I'm thinking that nobody here would know.

    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  5. John McGraw

    John McGraw Guest

    I agree, right is right! I use noodles that curve ~150 deg. (where's the degree symbol on my key
    board?) That works well for me. They are available @ BikeTools Etc. John

    [email protected] (Bob Taylor) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Paul's V-brakes feature noodles which are reversible but they are pretty expensive. You can take a
    > look at (http://www.paulcomp.com)
    >
    > Bob Taylor
    >

    > [email protected] (Phil) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > As a Squid-in-Training, I run my front brake on the right hand. Many of you know that
    > > motorcycles have their front brake on the right (generally the dominant hand) side of the
    > > handlebar. It should always be this way. I think they do it motorcycle-style in Europe and
    > > Japan, but I'm not sure.
    > >
    > > Anyways, my question is if anybody here knows of any brake calipers other than the Avid
    > > Ultimates that have a reversible noodle feature. I would like to put my brakes on with the cable
    > > on the correct side (since i'm wrong-handed).
    > >
    > > Phil, Squid-in-Training

  6. Jim Edgar

    Jim Edgar Guest

    Phil at [email protected] wrote on 3/29/03 11:46 PM:

    > As a Squid-in-Training, I run my front brake on the right hand. Many of you know that motorcycles
    > have their front brake on the right (generally the dominant hand) side of the handlebar. It should
    > always be this way. I think they do it motorcycle-style in Europe and Japan, but I'm not sure.
    >
    > Anyways, my question is if anybody here knows of any brake calipers other than the Avid Ultimates
    > that have a reversible noodle feature. I would like to put my brakes on with the cable on the
    > correct side (since i'm wrong-handed).

    If you just want to swap lever sides, you can do so by using a brake noodle with more angle -
    there's at least three different ones floating around most bike shops (although for some reason,
    LooseScrews only seems to list the 90 deg one).

    But, QBP (most LBS's use them) shows a bunch, 90, 110, 135, plus a fancy one from DIMENSION which is
    bendable to your heart's content. Have 'em look under "Cable Noodles"

    Hope that helps,

    -- Jim

  7. Phil

    Phil Guest

    [email protected] (John McGraw) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I agree, right is right! I use noodles that curve ~150 deg. (where's the degree symbol on my key
    > board?) That works well for me. They are available @ BikeTools Etc. John

    SWEET! I noticed that my noodle itself is getting worn apart at the aluminum tip... this should help
    that. Thanks so much... you saved me from buying a set of $200/pair Avid Ultimates!

    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  8. M Gagnon

    M Gagnon Guest

    > [email protected] (Phil) wrote: ...
    > > As a Squid-in-Training, I run my front brake on the right hand. ...
    > >
    > > Anyways, my question is if anybody here knows of any brake calipers other than the Avid
    > > Ultimates that have a reversible noodle feature. I would like to put my brakes on with the cable
    > > on the correct side (since i'm wrong-handed).
    > >
    > > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Why bother?

    I too use the right-front left-rear arrangement. I also have bar-end shifters. It's fairly easy to
    run the bar-end shifter cables all the way under the bar-tape (ergo style) along with the brake
    cable. Both of them curve graciously to the frame with minimal cable around. It's neat, and in
    particular,the brake cable has no problem reaching the standard noodle on the right side (same side)
    of the bike. I think I had to shorten the cable housing by 1-2 cm to get a neat vertical line.
    Brakes work fine, without any more friction than before.

    Regards,

    Michel Gagnon