V-brake calipers with reversible noodles?

Phil

Guest
As a Squid-in-Training, I run my front brake on the right hand. Many of you know that motorcycles
have their front brake on the right (generally the dominant hand) side of the handlebar. It should
always be this way. I think they do it motorcycle-style in Europe and Japan, but I'm not sure.

Anyways, my question is if anybody here knows of any brake calipers other than the Avid Ultimates
that have a reversible noodle feature. I would like to put my brakes on with the cable on the
correct side (since i'm wrong-handed).

Phil, Squid-in-Training

[email protected] (Phil) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> As a Squid-in-Training, I run my front brake on the right hand. Many of you know that motorcycles
> have their front brake on the right (generally the dominant hand) side of the handlebar. It should
> always be this way. I think they do it motorcycle-style in Europe and Japan, but I'm not sure.
>
> Anyways, my question is if anybody here knows of any brake calipers other than the Avid Ultimates
> that have a reversible noodle feature. I would like to put my brakes on with the cable on the
> correct side (since i'm wrong-handed).
>
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

Odyssey A brakes have that feature. Gaerlan usually has them, but they are out of stock.
http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/parts/brakes/brakes.html I don't know of any other myself. Regards
Jim Smith Catskill NY

Paul's V-brakes feature noodles which are reversible but they are pretty expensive. You can take a
look at (http://www.paulcomp.com)

Bob Taylor

[email protected] (Phil) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> As a Squid-in-Training, I run my front brake on the right hand. Many of you know that motorcycles
> have their front brake on the right (generally the dominant hand) side of the handlebar. It should
> always be this way. I think they do it motorcycle-style in Europe and Japan, but I'm not sure.
>
> Anyways, my question is if anybody here knows of any brake calipers other than the Avid Ultimates
> that have a reversible noodle feature. I would like to put my brakes on with the cable on the
> correct side (since i'm wrong-handed).
>
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

[email protected] (Jim Smith) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Phil) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > As a Squid-in-Training, I run my front brake on the right hand. Many of you know that
> > motorcycles have their front brake on the right (generally the dominant hand) side of the
> > handlebar. It should always be this way. I think they do it motorcycle-style in Europe and
> > Japan, but I'm not sure.
> >
> > Anyways, my question is if anybody here knows of any brake calipers other than the Avid
> > Ultimates that have a reversible noodle feature. I would like to put my brakes on with the cable
> > on the correct side (since i'm wrong-handed).
> >
> > Phil, Squid-in-Training
>
> Odyssey A brakes have that feature. Gaerlan usually has them, but they are out of stock.
> http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/parts/brakes/brakes.html I don't know of any other myself.
> Regards Jim Smith Catskill NY

This appears to be a great deal... The thing that sucks though is that they've got a shorter arm and
smaller leverage. My Avids have adjustable pull though, so that shouldn't be as big of a problem.

Do you think that these brakes clear MTB tires? I'm thinking that nobody here would know.

Phil, Squid-in-Training

I agree, right is right! I use noodles that curve ~150 deg. (where's the degree symbol on my key
board?) That works well for me. They are available @ BikeTools Etc. John

news:<[email protected]>...

Phil at [email protected] wrote on 3/29/03 11:46 PM:

> As a Squid-in-Training, I run my front brake on the right hand. Many of you know that motorcycles
> have their front brake on the right (generally the dominant hand) side of the handlebar. It should
> always be this way. I think they do it motorcycle-style in Europe and Japan, but I'm not sure.
>
> Anyways, my question is if anybody here knows of any brake calipers other than the Avid Ultimates
> that have a reversible noodle feature. I would like to put my brakes on with the cable on the
> correct side (since i'm wrong-handed).

If you just want to swap lever sides, you can do so by using a brake noodle with more angle -
there's at least three different ones floating around most bike shops (although for some reason,
LooseScrews only seems to list the 90 deg one).

But, QBP (most LBS's use them) shows a bunch, 90, 110, 135, plus a fancy one from DIMENSION which is
bendable to your heart's content. Have 'em look under "Cable Noodles"

Hope that helps,

-- Jim

[email protected] (John McGraw) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I agree, right is right! I use noodles that curve ~150 deg. (where's the degree symbol on my key
> board?) That works well for me. They are available @ BikeTools Etc. John

SWEET! I noticed that my noodle itself is getting worn apart at the aluminum tip... this should help
that. Thanks so much... you saved me from buying a set of $200/pair Avid Ultimates!

Phil, Squid-in-Training

> [email protected] (Phil) wrote: ...
> > As a Squid-in-Training, I run my front brake on the right hand. ...
> >
> > Anyways, my question is if anybody here knows of any brake calipers other than the Avid
> > Ultimates that have a reversible noodle feature. I would like to put my brakes on with the cable
> > on the correct side (since i'm wrong-handed).
> >
> > Phil, Squid-in-Training

Why bother?

I too use the right-front left-rear arrangement. I also have bar-end shifters. It's fairly easy to
run the bar-end shifter cables all the way under the bar-tape (ergo style) along with the brake
cable. Both of them curve graciously to the frame with minimal cable around. It's neat, and in
particular,the brake cable has no problem reaching the standard noodle on the right side (same side)
of the bike. I think I had to shorten the cable housing by 1-2 cm to get a neat vertical line.
Brakes work fine, without any more friction than before.

Regards,

Michel Gagnon