v-brake squeal on cross bike?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Scribe2b, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Scribe2b

    Scribe2b Guest

    my cross bike has v-brakes with travel agents. no matter how i clean the pads or do toe-in, i get
    squeal. my rims are ceramic. i have squeal on non-ceramic rims too when i try another wheelset. the
    squeal is much worse on front. the pads are aztec red pads but i have tried others including shimano
    for ceramic, all squal any suggestions welcome big time jc

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Scribe2b" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > my cross bike has v-brakes with travel agents. no matter how i clean the
    pads
    > or do toe-in, i get squeal. my rims are ceramic. i have squeal on non-ceramic rims too when i try
    another
    > wheelset. the squeal is much worse on front. the pads are aztec red pads but i have tried others
    > including shimano for ceramic, all squal

    The noise is an harmonic effect and does not diminish braking effectiveness. Still, it sucks.

    Oil the brake shoe mounting hardware (curved spacers' edges and threads). Slack the brake shoe
    holder nut, work the brake lever a few times until the shoe sits straight against the rim. Hold the
    lever tight and fasten the brake shoe tight to the brake. Repeat for the other side and test ride
    for noise.

    If still, clean the rim thoroughly and scuff any glaze off the pads. Hand cleaner or kitchen
    cleanser with a fingernail brush and hot water over a sink is not too awful. Test ride for noise.

    If still, repeat the brake shoe mounting but with a slip of cardboard (such as a flap from an
    inner tube box) under the back edge of the shoe. VBrake shoes should theoretically be flush but,
    since some arms have a lot of play, you may need to anticipate that with some "toe", making the
    front hit first.

    Some brakes just are noisy and cannot be made quiet but for most the above will be effective. If you
    cannot quiet them, try another brand of brake.

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Scribe2b <[email protected]> wrote:
    >my cross bike has v-brakes with travel agents. no matter how i clean the pads or do toe-in, i get
    >squeal. my rims are ceramic. i have squeal on non-ceramic rims too when i try another wheelset. the
    >squeal is much worse on front. the pads are aztec red pads but i have tried others including
    >shimano for ceramic, all squal any suggestions welcome big time

    Certainly check for canti-studs being too long, and for play in the v-brake. Some of the Shimano
    ones can develop a lot of slop.

    My only experience with ceramic pads is with the Kool Stop green ones, which don't squeal on my
    bike. I think trying a different brake pad is also a good idea.

    Does it squeal even with an absurd amount of toe-in?

    --Paul

  4. Dax

    Dax Guest

    [email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote in message
    news:<Fz1Z9.30505$A%[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Scribe2b <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >my cross bike has v-brakes with travel agents. no matter how i clean the pads or do toe-in, i get
    > >squeal. my rims are ceramic. i have squeal on non-ceramic rims too when i try another wheelset.
    > >the squeal is much worse on front. the pads are aztec red pads but i have tried others including
    > >shimano for ceramic, all squal any suggestions welcome big time
    >
    > Certainly check for canti-studs being too long, and for play in the v-brake. Some of the Shimano
    > ones can develop a lot of slop.
    >
    > My only experience with ceramic pads is with the Kool Stop green ones, which don't squeal on my
    > bike. I think trying a different brake pad is also a good idea.
    >
    > Does it squeal even with an absurd amount of toe-in?
    >
    > --Paul

    try reversing the toe-in (i.e. rear of pad touches rim ahead of front) and if that does not help,
    try one pad reversed, one forward toe-in. Also: perhaps different-length pads will give a different
    harmonic - Ъ×