v-brake stud threads

numbnutz

Guest
Can anyone tell me what thread specs are for v-brake studs?

Thanks!

numbnutz wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 22:43:53 -0400, Sheldon Brown
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >numbnutz wrote:
> >
> >> Can anyone tell me what thread specs are for v-brake studs?
> >>

> >These are regular M6 threads, like most threads on bicycle brakes (6 x 1 mm)
> >
> >Sheldon "M6" Brown

> I don't mean the bolt that goes into the boss to mount the brake. I
> mean the threads on the boss that screws into the bike frame. My
> caliper says the threaded part is 7.9mm dia. so I assume it is an 8mm
> screw, but I can't tell what the thread pitch is, only that it is
> clearly greater than 1 mm.

Hi, Tyler!

OK- that thread's somewhat specific to the bike. The QBP catalog lists
two different thread diameters and two different thread lengths:
http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&Category=286&Brand=247&type=T
(scroll to the bottom of the page)

It sounds like you've got a 8mm x 1.25mm thread- but there is no
"standard" for this, as far as I know.

Jeff

> Maybe I'm not calling the part by the right name. I need to know the
> thread specs on the post/pivot that screws into the bike frame. The
> v-brake then screws into the post/pivot. There are also three little
> holes for the brake spring adjuster to drop into. I'd like some idea
> of what the proper angle between them is, and how far they should be
> from the center of the pivot/post/boss thingy.
>
> Thanks!

I unscrewed one of the bosses/pivots from my old Cannoldale DD50 fork
and took it to the hardware store and guess what I discovered?

The threads are 5/16 x 18 tpi.

I would have expected metric threads because everything else on brake
is metric (or am I just used to dealing with Shimano?).

pfffft!

numbnutz wrote:
> I unscrewed one of the bosses/pivots from my old Cannoldale DD50 fork
> and took it to the hardware store and guess what I discovered?
>
> The threads are 5/16 x 18 tpi.
>
> I would have expected metric threads because everything else on brake
> is metric (or am I just used to dealing with Shimano?).
>
> pfffft!

What, you're playing with bikes and you're expecting things to be
standardized?? Ack! Thppft...

Jeff

JeffWills wrote:
> numbnutz wrote:
>> I unscrewed one of the bosses/pivots from my old Cannoldale DD50 fork
>> and took it to the hardware store and guess what I discovered?
>>
>> The threads are 5/16 x 18 tpi.
>>
>> I would have expected metric threads because everything else on brake
>> is metric (or am I just used to dealing with Shimano?).
>>
>> pfffft!

> What, you're playing with bikes and you're expecting things to be
> standardized?? Ack! Thppft...

205(mm)/50(%)/17(in)

Now who thought up of that one and plastered it all over the world???

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

numbnutz wrote:

> I unscrewed one of the bosses/pivots from my old Cannoldale DD50 fork
> and took it to the hardware store and guess what I discovered?
>
> The threads are 5/16 x 18 tpi.
>
> I would have expected metric threads because everything else on brake
> is metric (or am I just used to dealing with Shimano?).

I've had to make some similarly mixed threaded components before. I
can easily buy metric taps, but I can't convince the threading gears on
most lathes to acknowledge the benefits of the metric system. They are
incorrigibly set in their "ways", heh.

Chalo Colina