V-brake, switch noodle?

Lambert Dickmei

Guest
Are there any other V-brakes besides the Avid SD Ultimate that allow you to switch the so-called
"noodle" to the other side?

The idea is to use the right lever with the front brake.

I have no experience with V-brakes, it just looks to me like the cable routing could be a problem,
and that that would solve it.
--
Lambert Dickmeis

Originally posted by Lambert Dickmei
Are there any other V-brakes besides the Avid SD Ultimate that allow you to switch the so-called
"noodle" to the other side?

The idea is to use the right lever with the front brake.

I have no experience with V-brakes, it just looks to me like the cable routing could be a problem,
and that that would solve it.
--
Lambert Dickmeis

I do this with a 135 degree noodle. It lets the cable arc smoothly from the right lever to the front V brake. It costs about $2.00 and works great. If the front brake has a modulator on the noodle, you will want to replace it anyway.

The Avid Ulitmates are just too expensive for me.

Steve Shapiro

> I do this with a 135 degree noodle. It lets the cable arc smoothly from the right lever to the
> front V brake. It costs about $2.00 and works great. If the front brake has a modulator on the
> noodle, you will want to replace it anyway.
>
> The Avid Ulitmates are just too expensive for me.

Agreed. I do the same. For the left-rear brake, I route the cable/housing from the front cable stop
to the lever around the headtube, under the top tube, and to the far-left cable stop.

For about the same money as the Avid Ultimates, you can get Paul's Moto Lites or something. Ugly as
hell and probably work fine.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Lambert Dickmeis <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Are there any other V-brakes besides the Avid SD Ultimate that allow you to switch the so-called
> "noodle" to the other side?
>
> The idea is to use the right lever with the front brake.
>
> I have no experience with V-brakes, it just looks to me like the cable routing could be a problem,
> and that that would solve it.

The Odyssey A-brake has a noodle that can be switched left-for-right:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/penncyclebuy/odysseyabrake.html

I've modified SRAM V-brakes for opposite noodle for use on recumbents. I've also seen early XTR V-
brakes modified in this fashion.

Jeff

In article <[email protected]>,
Steve Shapiro <[email protected]> wrote:

> a 135 degree noodle ... lets the cable arc smoothly from the right lever to the front V brake. It
> costs about $2.00 and works

Thanks!

> The Avid Ulitmates are just too expensive for me.

For me, too. :)
--
Lambert Dickmeis

cane creek for mega bucks!

try the 135 degree noodle first though...

news:[email protected]...