V-brake, switch noodle?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Lambert Dickmei, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Are there any other V-brakes besides the Avid SD Ultimate that allow you to switch the so-called
    "noodle" to the other side?

    The idea is to use the right lever with the front brake.

    I have no experience with V-brakes, it just looks to me like the cable routing could be a problem,
    and that that would solve it.
    --
    Lambert Dickmeis

    Tags:

  2. Steve Shapiro

    Steve Shapiro New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2003
    I do this with a 135 degree noodle. It lets the cable arc smoothly from the right lever to the front V brake. It costs about $2.00 and works great. If the front brake has a modulator on the noodle, you will want to replace it anyway.

    The Avid Ulitmates are just too expensive for me.

    Steve Shapiro

  3. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    > I do this with a 135 degree noodle. It lets the cable arc smoothly from the right lever to the
    > front V brake. It costs about $2.00 and works great. If the front brake has a modulator on the
    > noodle, you will want to replace it anyway.
    >
    > The Avid Ulitmates are just too expensive for me.

    Agreed. I do the same. For the left-rear brake, I route the cable/housing from the front cable stop
    to the lever around the headtube, under the top tube, and to the far-left cable stop.

    For about the same money as the Avid Ultimates, you can get Paul's Moto Lites or something. Ugly as
    hell and probably work fine.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  4. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    Lambert Dickmeis <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Are there any other V-brakes besides the Avid SD Ultimate that allow you to switch the so-called
    > "noodle" to the other side?
    >
    > The idea is to use the right lever with the front brake.
    >
    > I have no experience with V-brakes, it just looks to me like the cable routing could be a problem,
    > and that that would solve it.

    The Odyssey A-brake has a noodle that can be switched left-for-right:
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/penncyclebuy/odysseyabrake.html

    I've modified SRAM V-brakes for opposite noodle for use on recumbents. I've also seen early XTR V-
    brakes modified in this fashion.

    Jeff

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    Steve Shapiro <[email protected]> wrote:

    > a 135 degree noodle ... lets the cable arc smoothly from the right lever to the front V brake. It
    > costs about $2.00 and works

    Thanks!

    > The Avid Ulitmates are just too expensive for me.

    For me, too. :)
    --
    Lambert Dickmeis

  6. Me

    Me Guest

    cane creek for mega bucks!

    try the 135 degree noodle first though...

    news:[email protected]...