V brake trickery

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Steve, Apr 2, 2003.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    I made the mistake of having the free services offered by my LBS when I bought my hybrid. Both
    brakes stopped you dead before it went in for one, but on its return the back brake is absolutely
    shite! I have tried all manner of things to try and correct this to no avail, and the LBS maintain
    that all they did was tension the cable up. Any ideas about what I could try?

    Cheers

    Steve

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > I made the mistake of having the free services offered by my LBS when I bought my hybrid. Both
    > brakes stopped you dead before it went in for one, but on its return the back brake is absolutely
    > shite! I have tried all manner of things to try and correct this to no avail, and the LBS maintain
    > that all they did was tension the cable up. Any ideas about what I could try?

    Could be the pads had worn at a certain angle and that's been fiddled slightly for some reason so
    that you've only got a fraction of the former pad contact area (might not be, but...). If it looks
    like that's happened loosen off the holding nut on the pads and pull the pads against the rim. Make
    sure the maximum contact area possible is going on, and then, with your third and fourth hands,
    retighten the nut.

    The pads can sit at a variety of angles, allowed by the "ball and socket" type spacers on the pad's
    mounting rod, and it makes quite a difference if you've got the wrong one for some reason (generally
    fiddling with brake adjustment).

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    [email protected] (Steve) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    <snip>
    > Any ideas about what I could try?

    Assuming the business end of the brakes and the cable tension are adjusted properly (which is
    something that can take me a good few minutes of fiddling and trial and error) then maybe looking at
    the brake lever end could help. There should be a bolt in the lever part that can go into one of
    several positions (usually 3 I think), this part holds the end of the cable. This alters how much
    pull the lever has on the cable. I *think* the position nearer the body of the brake lever gives
    more pull than the further positions, I can't remember for sure as I've not needed to change mine
    for years. You'll need to adjust the cables if you move this bolt (just loosen the bolt/screw at the
    brake end and move it a few mm).

    Hope that helps!

    Graeme

  4. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

  5. Ben

    Ben Guest

    On 1 Apr 2003 23:14:05 -0800, [email protected] (Steve) wrote:

    >I made the mistake of having the free services offered by my LBS when I bought my hybrid. Both
    >brakes stopped you dead before it went in for one, but on its return the back brake is absolutely
    >shite! I have tried all manner of things to try and correct this to no avail, and the LBS maintain
    >that all they did was tension the cable up. Any ideas about what I could try?

    The other two responses seem pretty comprehensive but there is always the following...

    .. check the LBS grease-monkey hasn't got any oil or grease on your rim or brake pads.
    --
    "We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to prevent life escaping from us." ***** replace
    'spam' with 'ben' to reply *****

  6. Stephen \

    Stephen \ Guest

    "Graeme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Steve) wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > <snip>
    > > Any ideas about what I could try?
    >
    > Assuming the business end of the brakes and the cable tension are adjusted properly (which is
    > something that can take me a good few minutes of fiddling and trial and error) then maybe looking
    > at the brake lever end could help. There should be a bolt in the lever part that can go into one
    > of several positions (usually 3 I think), this part holds the end of the cable. This alters how
    > much pull the lever has on the cable. I *think* the position nearer the body of the brake lever
    > gives more pull than the further positions, I can't remember for sure as I've not needed to change
    > mine for years. You'll need to adjust the cables if you move this bolt (just loosen the bolt/screw
    > at the brake end and move it a few mm).
    >
    > Hope that helps!

    Is there online help anywhere that shows this. My brakes are very loose at the mo and I'm loathed to
    spend £40 if I can do it myself. Cheers.

    PS I have 2 sets of non threaded v-brake blocks if anyone wants them for free. Bought at Asda
    by mistake.

  7. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    I heard of someone cleaning their rims with white spirit, which leaves a film of oil on and renders
    your brakes useless. Solution is to clean with alcohol (I use meths when I haven't drunk it all)

    news:[email protected]...