V-brake upgrade gone wrong...

Russell_allen

Guest
Hi folks, I bought me a nice new shiny v-brake setup - Deore LX levers, and vanilla Deore brakes,
new cable, all good. However, it transpires my existing setup has the brake and gear-shift levers in
the same unit! It's a Shimano Ez-Fire I think. What do folks recommend I do about this one? Where's
the best place in the UK to get a new pair of shifters for a 7-speed setup?

Also, I'm trying to get the bar-grips off my handlebars and I'm having no luck - they seem stuck
fast! Is this common? What can I do apart from cut 'em off and buy me a new pair?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Russ :)

When I need to remove bar grips I fill a small hypodermic syringe with rubbing alcohol (denatured
alcohol) and inject it between the handlebar and the grip in several places. Just poke the needle
through the grip and push the plunger a bit. The alcohol loosens and lubricates and after turning
the grip back and forth a couple of times it slips right off. When I put grips on I pour a little
alcohol into the grip and slosh it around to coat the inside, pour a bit into my cupped hand and rub
it on the handlebar and thus lubricated the grip slips right on. The grip isn't secure until the
alcohol drys overnight. Water could be used in place of the alcohol but would take longer to dry.
Vodka could be used in place of the rubbing alcohol but . . . such a waste.

I don't know how easy it is to obtain a hypodermic syringe in the UK. Here in the States I've always
gotten them at a pharmacy with no problem. The easiest way to get the alcohol into the syringe is to
pull the plunger out the back, pour the barrel full and then push the plunger back in. Much quicker
than drawing it in through the small bore of the needle.

Bob Taylor

Get a can of WD40

left edge of grip, insert plastic nozzle extension under this and squirt. Grips come off no problem.
Air also works apparently.

"Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Get a can of WD40
>
> left edge of grip, insert plastic nozzle extension under this and squirt. Grips come off no
> problem. Air also works apparently.

WD40 method seconded - may need to use small blade screwdriver to lever first bit of grip to get the
nozzle in. Also use to re-attach - takes some time to stick tho, best overnight. JonMaC

Weeny screwdriver and wd40 - agreed. To put them back - hairspray - slippy to start then sets
in minutes.

Yes, WD40 will work to help remove or attach grips but I think it has a foul and lingering smell.

Bob Taylor

Robert Taylor <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yes, WD40 will work to help remove or attach grips but I think it has a foul and lingering smell.
>
> Bob Taylor

I'll secondy third the WD40 method too!

Have a look at the shifter/brake combo and see if you can hacksaw them apart. My description sounds
brutal, but I done that with a set years ago and after filing down and touching up with matt black
paint they looked no different.

--
Mark

Robert Taylor wrote:
> Yes, WD40 will work to help remove or attach grips but I think it has a foul and lingering smell.

I like the smell! GT85 on the other hand.....

~PB