V-Brake vs Canti Cable Pull

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], May 6, 2003.

  1. Pardon the rather elementary question, but I forget. Which brake levers pull more cable - V or
    Canti levers? I have two sets of the same levers, except with different pivot points - one being
    further in
    (i.e. towards the clamp/bars) than the other. Is the one with the further-in pivot point for
    V-brakes? Thanks!

    -Ray

    Tags:

  2. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    [email protected] ([email protected]) wrote:

    >Pardon the rather elementary question, but I forget. Which brake levers pull more cable - V or
    >Canti levers? I have two sets of the same levers, except with different pivot points - one being
    >further in
    >(i.e. towards the clamp/bars) than the other. Is the one with the further-in pivot point for
    > V-brakes? Thanks!

    V brake levers pull more cable. Using them with canti brakes means you have to pull harder.

    OTOH, using canti brake levers with V brake calipers makes for very, very poor braking (basically
    on/off) and is to be avoided.

    The futher the cable attachment is from the pivot, the more cable the lever will pull.

  3. V brakes require more cable pull, because of their long arms. Cantilevers are much shorter.

    I'm refering to the length from the pad mounts to the ends where the cables attach, you understand.