V-Brake wire clearance?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by x, Mar 3, 2003.

  1. x

    x Guest

    Just for the heck of it, I tried swapping out the Hope rear disk brake on my Ellsworth Isis for
    a v-brake.

    Too much snow, not enough riding I guess...-)

    Actually, two reasons:

    1) So I can have something like an educated opinion when the disk-vs-vee thread raises it's
    head again.

    2) My hardtail will have v-brakes and a v-brake on the FS will make the wheels more easily
    interchangable.

    Question: How much clearance between the wire that connects the two levers is too little? On mine,
    where's only about 3mm between the widest part of the bracket that holds the wire on the left side
    and the tread. Depending on what part of the tread you look at and what part of the brake you look
    at, it might be as much as 6 mmm. OTOH, the Mutano Raptor I have back there is a pretty pudgy tire
    and the tread is like new...

    I guess I'll find out more when the weather warms up on Wednesday and I can put a few miles on
    it...but I'd like to hear that I haven't done something basically wrong when installing the brake.

    Is 3mm within the realm of possibility? If not, what is?
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

    Tags:

  2. Andrew Cooke

    Andrew Cooke Guest

    3mm sounds very little. Looking at my bike there's a couple of cm. I guess you might have problems
    if a stone gets caught in the tyre, or if you ride in sticky mud (there's no little rubber boot on
    the wire to keep the crud out?).

    Can't see what you'd have done wrong installing the brake, though.

    Andrew

    PS How will this help on disc v V brake arguments? It's the front brake that does all the work
    normally (because when you brake weight shifts to the front, so the front wheel can take more
    braking without locking).

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Just for the heck of it, I tried swapping out the Hope rear disk brake on my Ellsworth Isis for a
    > v-brake.
    >
    > Too much snow, not enough riding I guess...-)
    >
    > Actually, two reasons:
    >
    > 1) So I can have something like an educated opinion when the disk-vs-vee thread raises it's head
    > again.
    >
    > 2) My hardtail will have v-brakes and a v-brake on the FS will make the wheels more easily
    > interchangable.
    >

    > Question: How much clearance between the wire that connects the two levers is too little? On mine,
    > where's only about 3mm between the widest part of the bracket that holds the wire on the left side
    > and the tread. Depending on what part of the tread you look at and what part of the brake you look
    > at, it might be as much as 6 mmm. OTOH, the Mutano Raptor I have back there is a pretty pudgy tire
    > and the tread is like new...
    >
    > I guess I'll find out more when the weather warms up on Wednesday and I can put a few miles on
    > it...but I'd like to hear that I haven't done something basically wrong when installing the brake.
    >
    > Is 3mm within the realm of possibility? If not, what is?
    > -----------------------
    > PeteCresswell

  3. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >guess you might have problems if a stone gets caught in the tyre, or if you ride in sticky mud
    >(there's no little rubber boot on the wire to keep the crud out?).

    >Can't see what you'd have done wrong installing the brake, though.

    Yes, there's a rubber.... What one calls the clearance is sort of a judgement call - depending on
    which part of the assembly and which lugs on the tire one looks at.

    But a couple cm? No way Jose'....I think it's time for a trip to a bike shop just to have somebody
    eyball it. I can't imagine what could be done wrong - but Yours Truly sometimes exhibits a talent
    for these things...

    >PS How will this help on disc v V brake arguments? It's the front brake that does all the work
    > normally (because when you brake weight shifts to the front, so the front wheel can take more
    > braking without locking).

    That's what I expect to confirm: seems like when I ride, at least, the front brake does all the
    heavy lifting and rear brake is just used for fine-tuning. The one exception is situations where the
    front wheel could wash out...then I stay off the front brake altogether just out of
    self-preservation.

    The degree of modulation possible with one type of brake of the other might be significant...and it
    might not. Also, considering the minimal role of the rear brake it might just be moot... Gonna get a
    feel for it very soon.

    One thing in favor of a disk rear brake that I can see right away is zero chance of a pad getting
    twisted and taking out the sidewall. I've been through that one with a front wheel following a minor
    crash and insufficient post-crash inspection - not a pretty sight....

    I guess rim wear is another....OTOH the Vees are lighter and there's no rotor right there under the
    hub where oil could drip on it (I've got one of those Rohloffs...) and if you want to break a bike
    down, cables can be split and a hydraulic line can't... Finally, for the truly-paranoid (and maybe
    those who can remember themselves as being rotten-to-the-bone as kids...) with one cable brake some
    little psycho can't strand you by loosening both bleed nipples.

    I think I'm getting a little crazed from lack of riding....
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  4. >snip<

    > I guess rim wear is another....OTOH the Vees are lighter and there's no rotor right there under
    > the hub where oil could drip on it (I've got one of those Rohloffs...) and if you want to break a
    > bike down, cables can be split and a hydraulic line can't... Finally, for the truly-paranoid (and
    > maybe those who can remember themselves as being rotten-to-the-bone as kids...) with one cable
    > brake some little psycho can't strand you by loosening both bleed nipples.

    Nope, but they're much more likely to know how to cut a piece of cable (or nick it just enough it
    snaps when you need it most) than know where to find the bleed nipples!

    > I think I'm getting a little crazed from lack of riding....
    > -----------------------
    > PeteCresswell

    Join the club. Damn snow/ice/rain!

    Jon Bond

  5. Mr. E. Mann

    Mr. E. Mann Guest

    [email protected] (andrew cooke) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Just for the heck of it, I tried swapping out the Hope rear disk brake on my Ellsworth Isis for a
    >> v-brake.
    >>
    >> Too much snow, not enough riding I guess...-)
    >>
    >> Actually, two reasons:
    >>
    >> 1) So I can have something like an educated opinion when the disk-vs-vee thread raises it's head
    >> again.
    >>
    >> 2) My hardtail will have v-brakes and a v-brake on the FS will make the wheels more easily
    >> interchangable.
    >>

    >> Question: How much clearance between the wire that connects the two levers is too little? On
    >> mine, where's only about 3mm between the widest part of the bracket that holds the wire on the
    >> left side and the tread. Depending on what part of the tread you look at and what part of the
    >> brake you look at, it might be as much as 6 mmm. OTOH, the Mutano Raptor I have back there is a
    >> pretty pudgy tire and the tread is like new...

    Could the problem be that the spacers are not placed correctly on the brake pads?

    >> I guess I'll find out more when the weather warms up on Wednesday and I can put a few miles
    >> on it...but I'd like to hear that I haven't done something basically wrong when installing
    >> the brake.
    >>
    >> Is 3mm within the realm of possibility? If not, what is?
    >> -----------------------
    >> PeteCresswell

  6. x

    x Guest

    RE/

    >Could the problem be that the spacers are not placed correctly on the brake pads?

    Turned out that it was the tires.

    WTB Mutano Raptors are just larger in diameter...MUCH larger...

    Tried a couple more conventional sets (my 1.25" slicks, a set of Heng Shin SemiSlicks) and it there
    was ample clearance.

    The inflated diameter of the WTB's is 27" - an inch more than the SemiSlicks and almost two full
    inches more than the slicks.
    PeteCresswell