V Brakes and Rain

FlyingPancreas

Aug 9, 2013
Another noob question. I've been OFF bikes for so long, I simply cannot remember whether I've ever had any issues with V brakes in wet conditions. I don't recall any, so probably not. But...

In web-shopping for a new bike, I've decided that one feature I am using as a criterion is hydraulic disc brakes. The reason is that I plan to commute more or less exclusively by bike, which will mean riding in the rain. In snow, I'm sure I'd break down and drive or take public trans.

I'm just wondering if you folks who ride often might think I am making my search field unnecessarily narrow by "requiring" disc brakes. Does anyone out there have any actual trouble stopping in wet conditions?

There are some really attractive bikes out there - like the Giant Escape series and the Cannondale Quick series, etc. - that I'd be considering much more strongly if they had models available with disc brakes. Is this really a sensible requirement? Or am I perhaps overemphasizing the importance of this feature?

I think it's a fine requirement, although I would open the field up to include cable operated disc brakes. Disc brakes are a great solution for braking in wet weather. Not only do you get the better modulation that comes with disc brakes, you get a braking surface that is relatively far from the road and stuff that flies up from the road, like spray, mud, and grit. That means that not only will the braking be delayed less (water on a surface has to be swept off by the brake pad before brake force maximized), the life of the rims will be extended since the grit and muck won't be pressed into their brake surfaces by rim brakes. Win-win.

and no worries for untrue rims and broken spokes ! with disc brakes, ( although you do need to service the wheel eventually, it wont ruin your ride ) p.s. Avid BB7 mechanical disc brakes are great, easier to setup and to maintain than hydraulics

Thanks for the educational feedback. Much appreciated.

Guess I'll keep looking for models with disc brakes. Kind of a shame, only because it really narrows things down to only a few bikes within my price range. Or maybe that's a good thing, for the same reason... Top few I'm considering at the moment for under $1k:

Bianchi Camaleonte 3 (& also the 2, with mechanical disc brakes)
Trek 7.4 FX Disc
Cannondale CX4 (site specs indicate V brakes, but I could swear I've seen one or two with disc brakes)

If anyone wants to throw other suggestions out there, I'm wide open.