V Brakes and Shimano STI Levers?

Evileye

Guest
I was wondering if it is possible to use STI levers with "V" brakes? I want to convert a Hybrid bike
(frame has road geometery) with flat bars and V brakes to a dropbar, STI shifting lever bike (For
randonneur riding). Thanks

evileye wrote:
> I was wondering if it is possible to use STI levers with "V" brakes? I want to convert a Hybrid
> bike (frame has road geometery) with flat bars and V brakes to a dropbar, STI shifting lever bike
> (For randonneur riding). Thanks

A device called the Travel Agent V-Brake Booster is available for this purpose. The cable enters
from the lever at a small radius and exits at a larger radius, so cable travel is increased. They
work fine; I've got a pair on a cyclocross bike. Without them, the lever is likely to bottom out
before full braking force is applied to the rim.

Dave Lehnen

I would advice against using Travel Agents. When you get a flat and have to remove the wheel you cannot remove the cable without loosening the nut. You will also lose the positive feel in braking. I have discarded my expensive travel agents and bought two pairs of cantilever brakes. But then you have to get cable stops as well, and they have gone out of fashion.
/Tell

"evileye" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was wondering if it is possible to use STI levers with "V" brakes? I want to convert a Hybrid
> bike (frame has road geometery) with flat bars and V brakes to a dropbar, STI shifting lever bike
> (For randonneur riding). Thanks

How about using some "V" brakes made for use with road levers?

Like these: //www.chucksbikes.com/bkminv.htm

You can also convert your ordinary canti's into V brakes. Thes will not require as much pull.

Sheldon Brown has the instrucyions on his site as do I on mine.

Re: V Brakes and Shimano STI Levers?

Group: rec.bicycles.tech Date: Tue, Apr 8, 2003, 7:43pm From: [email protected] (KLydesdale)
"evileye" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... I was wondering if it is possible to use STI
levers with "V" brakes? I want to convert a Hybrid bike (frame has road geometery) with flat bars
and V brakes to a dropbar, STI shifting lever bike (For randonneur riding). =A0=A0=A0=A0Thanks How
about using some "V" brakes made for use with road levers? Like these:
//www.chucksbikes.com/bkminv.htm

"evileye" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was wondering if it is possible to use STI levers with "V" brakes? I want to convert a Hybrid
> bike (frame has road geometery) with flat bars and V brakes to a dropbar, STI shifting lever bike
> (For randonneur riding). Thanks

You've got answers on "how to", but I'l ask "why?" Set up some decent medium-high profile canti's
such as Tektro Onyx or Pauls (if ya got lots of money) properly and you can have two-finger braking
from your STI levers, and you don't have to puts around with thingamajigs.

Robin Hubert

"Tell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I would advice against using Travel Agents. When you get a flat and have to remove the wheel you
> cannot remove the cable without loosening the nut. You will also lose the positive feel in
> braking. I have discarded my expensive travel agents and bought two pairs of cantilever brakes.
> But then you have to get cable stops as well, and they have gone out of fashion. /Tell

There seems to be a wide variance in setup of the linear brake cams.

We use them with great success on certain bikes (they are standard equipment on Santanas for
example) without any of the problems you mention.

I am a great fan of cantilevers for may reasons. But where the customer specifies both Ergo levers
and linear brakes those cams can be made to work quite nicely.

Hello Robin, I looked at some of the reviews ( mtbreview.com) regarding the Paul's and most are not
favourable.

Andreas

"Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "evileye" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I was wondering if it is possible to use STI levers with "V" brakes? I want to convert a Hybrid
> > bike (frame has road geometery) with flat bars and V brakes to a dropbar, STI shifting lever
> > bike (For randonneur riding). Thanks
>

> You've got answers on "how to", but I'l ask "why?" Set up some decent medium-high profile canti's
> such as Tektro Onyx or Pauls (if ya got lots of money) properly and you can have two-finger
> braking from your STI levers, and you don't have to puts around with thingamajigs.
>

> Robin Hubert

"evileye" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello Robin, I looked at some of the reviews ( mtbreview.com) regarding the Paul's and most are
> not favourable.
>
> Andreas
>

> "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "evileye" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I was wondering if it is possible to use STI levers with "V" brakes? I want to convert a
> > > Hybrid bike (frame has road geometery) with flat bars and V brakes to a dropbar, STI shifting
> > > lever bike (For randonneur riding). Thanks
> >

> > You've got answers on "how to", but I'l ask "why?" Set up some decent medium-high profile
> > canti's such as Tektro Onyx or Pauls (if ya got lots
of
> > money) properly and you can have two-finger braking from your STI
levers,
> > and you don't have to puts around with thingamajigs.
> >

> > Robin Hubert

I have several years experience with the Pauls cantis with STI levers and have had no problems
whatsoever. Braking power, modulation and set-up are good.

I have not used the Tektro but others on this group who have seem to like them.

Mish

Tell wrote:
> I would advice against using Travel Agents. When you get a flat and have to remove the wheel you
> cannot remove the cable without loosening the nut. You will also lose the positive feel in
> braking. I have discarded my expensive travel agents and bought two pairs of cantilever brakes.
> But then you have to get cable stops as well, and they have gone out of fashion. /Tell

You don't need any tools to change a flat with Travel Agents. Just squeeze the brake arms together
slightly, and pop the Travel Agent out of the slotted hole, the same way you would pop out the
noodle on a mountain bike with no Travel Agents. As for the feel of the brakes, I don't find them
any better or worse than cantilevers or than V-brakes with mountain levers.

Dave Lehnen

Mish, Thanks for that info. I did look at the Tektro website and does say that, "Try,
before you buy"

Andreas aka Evileye

news:<[email protected]>...