V-Brakes, Front=excellent, Rear=very bad

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jeff, May 30, 2003.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    My Sugar 2 has Avid 3's front and rear and originally worked equally as well. After a frame swap by
    my local shop (Sugar 3 broke, replaced with a Sugar 2) the rear brakes suck. I noticed that they did
    me the favor of replacing the rear pads with a set of Richie's claiming that they were worn.
    Figuring this was the problem I swapped front and rear with little success. I've since replaced both
    front and rear pads with MTB Cool Pads. The fronts stop dangersouly effective, the rears might not
    as well be there...

    HELP!

    Tags:

  2. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    [email protected] (Jeff) wrote:

    >My Sugar 2 has Avid 3's front and rear and originally worked equally as well. After a frame swap by
    >my local shop (Sugar 3 broke, replaced with a Sugar 2) the rear brakes suck. I noticed that they
    >did me the favor of replacing the rear pads with a set of Richie's claiming that they were worn.
    >Figuring this was the problem I swapped front and rear with little success. I've since replaced
    >both front and rear pads with MTB Cool Pads. The fronts stop dangersouly effective, the rears might
    >not as well be there...

    My guess is that one of the cable housings is trimmed badly (not square). That allows it to compress
    (which is a bad thing since that compression is subtracted from the cable pull). You should be able
    to see if this is the case by pinching the cable outer and the cable stop between your thumb and
    finger, and having someone squeeze the brake lever hard. If you feel the cable outer "crawl into the
    cable stop" a bit, you've found the problem.

    Or - there could be a simple crimp somewhere in the cable. Check for friction by disconnecting the
    inner cable at the brake, pull the lever to the bar and see how much force is required to pull the
    inner cable back out all the way (shouldn't take much force at all - if something's really wrong it
    will be obvious). From there you can narrow it down by pulling the inner wire back and forth through
    each cable section until you find the one that's "hanging up".

  3. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Jeff <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > My Sugar 2 has Avid 3's front and rear and originally worked equally as well. After a frame swap
    > by my local shop (Sugar 3 broke, replaced with a Sugar 2) the rear brakes suck. I noticed that
    > they did me the favor of replacing the rear pads with a set of Richie's claiming that they were
    > worn. Figuring this was the problem I swapped front and rear with little success. I've since
    > replaced both front and rear pads with MTB Cool Pads. The fronts stop dangersouly effective, the
    > rears might not as well be there...
    >
    > HELP!

    I am guessing frame flex. as you squeeze the brakes, it clamps on and then spreads the seatstays
    (correct term?) apart causing kind of a squishy feel.

    i think my frame has the same issue. i know they make an arch that fits on somehow and prevents the
    frame spreading, but i haven't really looked into it.
    --
    ~Travis

  4. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My Sugar 2 has Avid 3's front and rear and originally worked equally as well. After a frame swap
    > by my local shop (Sugar 3 broke, replaced with a Sugar 2) the rear brakes suck. I noticed that
    > they did me the favor of replacing the rear pads with a set of Richie's claiming that they were
    > worn. Figuring this was the problem I swapped front and rear with little success. I've since
    > replaced both front and rear pads with MTB Cool Pads. The fronts stop dangersouly effective, the
    > rears might not as well be there...
    >
    > HELP!

    Cables, in one way or another. Too short a housing, too long a housing, lousy finishing job, lousy
    cable, crimped cable....

    Jon Bond

  5. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > My Sugar 2 has Avid 3's front and rear and originally worked equally as well. After a frame swap
    > by my local shop (Sugar 3 broke, replaced with a Sugar 2) the rear brakes suck. I noticed that
    > they did me the favor of replacing the rear pads with a set of Richie's claiming that they were
    > worn. Figuring this was the problem I swapped front and rear with little success. I've since
    > replaced both front and rear pads with MTB Cool Pads. The fronts stop dangersouly effective, the
    > rears might not as well be there...
    >
    > HELP!

    Did they route your brake cable through 15 different right angles and a mile of housing by
    any chance?
    --

  6. Junobug

    Junobug Guest

    Sounds to me like an issue dealing with lack of sufficient cable pull. I suppose it could be too
    much housing, but I have seen people with enough housing to jump rope with that could still get
    decent brake response. It almost sounds like there could also be an issue with non-v brake
    compatible lever. It will be interesting to see what the cause is.

    news:[email protected]...