Bike Cafe · Public discussion

v brakes versus disc brakes????

Started by bluescat · · Last activity · 5 posts · 2,816 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
13 July 2004
Last activity
12 December 2004
Original author
bluescat
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,816
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. We are thinking of getting a Giant Cypress DX or LX, the difference is whether or not we want the disc or regular brakes? Any suggestions? We will be riding primarily on the paved bike paths in DC and area parks. Any suggestions/reasons for one over the other would be appreciated!
    Judi

  2. Not being a mountain bike guy, I have to say that I dont like disk brakes. The reason for them (apparently) is that they are out of the muck when you ride in dirt. My problem with them is that I have trouble with the modulation and feedback. With V-brakes...which do a fantastic job of stopping...I feel I have more control of how much pressure I apply to the brakes. I also feel that I can sense how the bike is going to behave better. With disk brakes, there is an "all or none" feeling. This problem is corrected in higher end disks, especially hydraulic ones, but I think for the kind of riding you intend to do, the v-brakes are going to be better.
    Of course, ride them both and see what feels better- I tried to like the disks because they look so cool...But when I get in over my head and need to feather the brakes going down a hill, the v's have a better feel (thats why high-end road bikes haven't gone disk yet I'm sure)
    Cheers

  3. Thanks, Sam!
    I think we are going with the V-brake! The disc brakes do look cool tho!
    But I agree with you on the feel! Thanks for your response!
    Judi

  4. Aside from what's been mentioned, disc brakes also have the advantage of more stopping power. However, they are heavy compared to V brakes and also are a bit harder to maintain.

    Meanwhile, V brakes are naturally lighter and can provide adequte braking power for most people.

    But all that is mute until you consider what your bike usage is. For instance, disc brakes would be a good choice on full suspension mountain bikes which would be used to go on trails (and off trails) even during the rain season. Being away from the rim means that the braking surface will probably be "cleaner" and thus more effective.

    Similarly, disc brakes would be good on heavy duty commuter bikes in big cities where you need to stop very quickly to avoid a car (or the more common car door opening). Besides, some heavy duty commuters load up on panniers to stuff a change of clothes and even business (or study) related materials.

    Meanwhile, V-brakes would be suited for touring bikes or even cyclocross bikes. Or even for the everyday user who is more concerned about weight. Note that weight will effect how much more you will be fatigued after a good long ride.

  5. depends on how u ride.....if u ride mainly on the road and not anywhere neer jumping/dhing/freeriding then ud be better off using V brakes...and for whoever thinks disc brakes dont give you as much control as v brakes ur totally wrong....do you see that many people doing an endo going 40 mph using v brakes?? lol if you use disc brakes for a couple months u get attached to them and they are way better than v brakes...only drawback is the price...i have 2 sets (1 hydraulic) of magura louise and avid mechanical...and the magura are around 2-350$ brand new for the set and the avids are like 250 for the set and they have crazy stopping power...but there ARE v brakes that cost about $200 but theyre mostly for trials riders...magura makes trial worthy v brakes

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.