V-brakes - what if front and rear assemblies are reversed?

I don't know which assembly is which. What happens if the front
assembly is put at the rear AND the assembly made for the rear is
placed at the front? Any difference? I cannot tell by looking at them -
but then I am no expurt :)

Thanks for the advice.

Ken

[email protected] wrote:
> I don't know which assembly is which. What happens if the front
> assembly is put at the rear AND the assembly made for the rear is
> placed at the front? Any difference?

No difference, "front" and "rear" v-brakes are identical. Sometimes,
the brake pads are directional. If so, the pads will have an arrow
that should point toward the front of the bike.

-Vee

Vee wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > I don't know which assembly is which. What happens if the front
> > assembly is put at the rear AND the assembly made for the rear is
> > placed at the front? Any difference?

> No difference, "front" and "rear" v-brakes are identical. Sometimes,
> the brake pads are directional. If so, the pads will have an arrow
> that should point toward the front of the bike.
>
> -Vee

Also, the cable noodles have different angles so the cable run is
slightly less steep. The one with the shallower bend should nominally
go on the rear, but in practice there's not a lot in it.

The only thing you could do badly wrong is if you've got cartridge
brake pads (the sort where the brake block slides into a metal casing
and is held by a split-pin). Get those the wrong way round and you
risk your brake blocks shooting off the bike... but as Vee said,
there's big directional arrows on them.

You can use the 90-degree noddles on both front and back. My
understanding is that the more accute noodles are intended for bikes
set up with the front brake on the right. They allow for a more
graceful curve in the housing without any binding at the noodle socket.

On 19 Aug 2005 10:21:00 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Thank you to all of you - for enlightenemnt. My worst fears about these
>units have been put to rest. :)

some of them are back or front oly. I think the higher end newer
shimono ones are.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes