V-brakes with aero (road bar) shifters? Compatible?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by FasterthanU, Oct 30, 2005.

1. FasterthanU

FasterthanU New Member

I never know when compatible is spelled with an -ible at the end or an -able. Anyway, to my question. I want to replace the avid shorty cantilivers on my Voodoo Wazoo cyclocross frame with v-breaks but am unaware if V-brakes are compatible (there is is again..) with the pull-ratio of aero shifters (road bar shifters). I don't see up front why not but could use some conformation so I don't have to bother if it is a no go. Your help is greatly appreciated. Side note: Be sure to be a good person as much as you can :) . Hasta luego, C

P.S.- To everyone who gets fed up with seeing the same dang questions asked, I did bother to look my question up and found know satisfying answers. Later

Tags:

2. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Some are!

My Tektro Mini V-Brakes are OK with road levers.

3. FasterthanU

FasterthanU New Member

All right, that's one concurance. Thanks George. Keep the feedback comming mi amigos. Hasta luego, C

- Practico mi espanol.

4. FasterthanU

FasterthanU New Member

I got to start using spell check. I read like an illeterate bafoon...that can right pretty well for someone who can't...yeah...hmmm....

5. John M

John M New Member

this device alters cable travel to improve compatibility of V-brakes with road levers. I have NOT used it myself so I don't know how well the set-up works. It is also a pricey add on at $20/brake

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=2647&subcategory_ID=5221

6. shannons dad

shannons dad New Member

I'm using 105 STI's with Deore V's. They're spongy as hell and I have to keep the brake pads about half a mil from the rim to allow for it, but they're pretty powerful because of the sponginess.

7. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

I've used them, they work like a charm. Not too fun to keep clean if you're riding in the mud though.

8. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

short answer is NO
    why do you think the cyclocross crowd use the old style cantilever brakes ? it isn´t from choice believe me .

9. shannons dad

shannons dad New Member

I disagree. Short answer is YES. See post #6.

10. lwedge

lwedge New Member

Cannondale uses the QBP Travel Agent on some of their cross bikes. I was running the same way as Shannon's Dad until I purchased the Travel Agents. They work well and you get the excellent braking power on Linear-Pull brakes as opposed to Cantalever.

Lw

11. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

yes but why introduce complications that the design of v-brakes was supposed to eliminate just to get the same quality of brakes as standard cantiliver ?
    yes travel agents work as a convertion but why bother ? there´s no gain .