V-brakes

Robin Norton wrote:
> Are V-brakes inherently more efficient than cantilevers? My bike mechanic says properly adjusted
> cantilevers are just as good.

I prefer Vs, but properly set up cantis will stop you very effectively.
Unless you like flying over the 'bars, I'd say that's "just as good".

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

> On Mon, 19 May 2003 20:34:53 +0100, "Clive George"

> >> You could try vees with drop bars - the braking effort may be sufficiently reduced to retain
> >> the comfort of drops.
>
> >The comfort of bottoming out your brake lever and still not stopping, you mean? Yes, if you're
> >prepared to keep it adjusted within 0.000x mm you
may
> >get away with it, but the cable pull is just wrong.
>
> I've only ridden one bike with drops and V-brakes, and they are perfectly effective. The bike is a
> tandem, owned and stoked by my mate Bob. This is the limit of my experience.

Well, your man bob is probably one of the people prepared to keep it adjusted within 0.000x mm. Or
he's using 287-V's, as mentioned by Alex.

Me - I'm a slacker, and maguras help a lot with that! (even copes with missing spokes...)

cheers, clive

"Tim Cain" <tim_no1@you_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Tim Cain" <tim_no1@you_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >

> > > news:[email protected]...

> cantilever
> > > >

> > > V's have a higher mechanical advantage for sure: Greater pressure at
rim
> > > for a given force at the brake lever (wrt cantilevers). But for a
given
> > > displacement of the pad wrt the rim, the lever must move in proportion to the mechanical
> > > advantage of the system.

> > > You say that V-brakes are more efficient than cantilevers.
> > >
> > > Efficiency = work input / work output.
> > >
> > > (work = force * distance moved)
> > >
> > > The efficiency of V-brakes and cantilevers is practically identical ( = work input - a bit of
> > > loss due to cable friction, viscosity in the brake arm bearings, and stretching it a bit,
> > > hysteresis in the brake arm return springs). Very close to unity for both, I'd guess.
> >
> > I'd guess that the upward force on the vertical cable is in fact
> wastefully
> > converted into two forces at an angle to the first.
>
> Where's the waste? Is the work being converted into heat, sound, light, or what?

Bound to be heat. As its only a few joules you'd not notice.

> Answer: None of the above. They (V's & cantilevers) are equally efficient.

A bold statement, see below.

> > Then - unless perfectly aligned (and even then doubtful) - the two
cables
> > the top of the cable might not be pulling perpendicular to the pivot/attatchment.
> >
> > > Now, if V-brakes are more efficient than cantilevers, where is the extra work coming from?
> >
> > Wrong way round.
>
> You really ought to expand this section of your argument.

Cantilevers are inefficient - your force and your distance are "wasted". The same is less true for V
brakes. So the right way round is rather than: " if V-brakes are more efficient than cantilevers,
where is the extra work coming from?" " if V-brakes are more efficient than cantilevers, where is
the wasted work goin in cantis?"

> > > Who is supplying the free (working) lunch?
> >
> > Cantilevers are less efficient and V brakes aren't magical.
> >

> In what way are cantilevers less efficient? How are you measuring or defining efficiency?

Right... lets start with the part where the cable goes three ways.
A) forces: Top one vertical, side ones at about 45 degrees to the horizontal. Do a force diagram and
you'll find that a force F on the vertical cable is needed for a force half-F/root 2. As there's
two, you are basically losing 30% of your force for no benefit.

Force lost in %= cos angle to horizontal of two cables going to end of cantis. So, horizontal, you
have 100% loss of that vertical force, 30 degrees 50% etc.

B) Distance. You pull the vertical cable by 5mm and each side arm comes in by more or less that
distance, but in many cases less.

C) The pivots. Unless the side cables are pulling tangentially to the arc of the calipers, force is
being wasted by pulling away or towards the pivot.

SO: With perfectly set up canti's some of your force is lost - not a leverage effect, just lost,
pulling against pivots etc. As brake wear makes the set up different, it gets worse without a lot of
mucking about.

Even with wildly out V-brakes, you are pulling more or less tangentailly to the pivots directly, so
there is far less of these "force wasting" effects.

W K wrote:
> "Tim Cain" <tim_no1@you_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>> In what way are cantilevers less efficient? How are you measuring or defining efficiency?
>
> Right... lets start with the part where the cable goes three ways.
> A) forces: Top one vertical, side ones at about 45 degrees to the horizontal. Do a force diagram
> and you'll find that a force F on the vertical cable is needed for a force half-F/root 2. As
> there's two, you are basically losing 30% of your force for no benefit.
>
> Force lost in %= cos angle to horizontal of two cables going to end of cantis. So, horizontal, you
> have 100% loss of that vertical force, 30 degrees 50% etc.
>
> B) Distance. You pull the vertical cable by 5mm and each side arm comes in by more or less that
> distance, but in many cases less.
>
> C) The pivots. Unless the side cables are pulling tangentially to the arc of the calipers, force
> is being wasted by pulling away or towards the pivot.
>
> SO: With perfectly set up canti's some of your force is lost - not a leverage effect, just lost,
> pulling against pivots etc. As brake wear makes the set up different, it gets worse without a lot
> of mucking about.
>
> Even with wildly out V-brakes, you are pulling more or less tangentailly to the pivots directly,
> so there is far less of these "force wasting" effects.

Says it all better than I can.

I know vee-brakes work 'better' (more efficiently) because for the same force put in at the levers,
there's more clamping force at the brake .. Or for the same force at the brake there's less initial
effort from my fingers at the lever end. And having just ran a short side-by-side test I can also
say that vee-brake levers don't move any further at the finger end than cantilever levers .. for
*exactly* the same, measured, lever movement under my fingers there is more force generated at the
brake end by vee-brakes.

Mind you, I really don't care where the losses are, I personally just prefer the feel and ease of
use of vee's .. ;)

--

Completed 1687 Seti work units in 12835 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

news:[email protected]...
> Robin Norton wrote:
> > Are V-brakes inherently more efficient than cantilevers?

No.

*Well* adjusted cantilevers are just as good. However, most people find getting them adjusted well
enough is tricky and time-consuming. V-brakes are much simpler to adjust and more forgiving of
slight inaccuracies of adjustment.

> > > I'd guess that the upward force on the vertical cable is in fact
> > wastefully
> > > converted into two forces at an angle to the first.
> >
> > Where's the waste? Is the work being converted into heat, sound, light, or what?
>
> Bound to be heat. As its only a few joules you'd not notice.
>
> > Answer: None of the above. They (V's & cantilevers) are equally
efficient.

> A bold statement, see below.
>
> > > Then - unless perfectly aligned (and even then doubtful) - the two
> cables
> > > the top of the cable might not be pulling perpendicular to the pivot/attatchment.

> > > Wrong way round.
> >
> > You really ought to expand this section of your argument.
>
> Cantilevers are inefficient - your force and your distance are "wasted". The same is less true for
> V brakes. So the right way round is rather than: " if V-brakes are more efficient than
> cantilevers, where is the extra work coming from?" " if V-brakes are more efficient than
> cantilevers, where is the wasted work goin in cantis?"

> > > Cantilevers are less efficient and V brakes aren't magical.
> > >

> > In what way are cantilevers less efficient? How are you measuring or defining efficiency?
>
> Right... lets start with the part where the cable goes three ways.
> A) forces: Top one vertical, side ones at about 45 degrees to the horizontal. Do a force diagram
> and you'll find that a force F on the vertical cable is needed for a force half-F/root 2. As
> there's two, you are basically losing 30% of your force for no benefit.
>
> Force lost in %= cos angle to horizontal of two cables going to end of cantis. So, horizontal, you
> have 100% loss of that vertical force, 30 degrees 50% etc.
>
> B) Distance. You pull the vertical cable by 5mm and each side arm comes in by more or less that
> distance, but in many cases less.
>
> C) The pivots. Unless the side cables are pulling tangentially to the arc of the calipers, force
> is being wasted by pulling away or towards the
pivot.

> SO: With perfectly set up canti's some of your force is lost - not a leverage effect, just lost,
> pulling against pivots etc. As brake wear makes the set up different, it gets worse without a lot
> of mucking about.
>
> Even with wildly out V-brakes, you are pulling more or less tangentailly
> the pivots directly, so there is far less of these "force wasting"
effects.

Whew! what a treatise.

But the original claim was that V's are more efficient that canti's.

Mechanical efficiency is the ratio of work output to work input.

You haven't shown an efficiency gain for V's over cantis.

Tim.

---

On Tue, 20 May 2003 11:05:14 +0100, "Clive George"

>Or he's using 287-V's, as mentioned by Alex.

I'd put money on it. Bob is The Man when it comes to bike repairs - he is the best blind bike
mechanic in the business, barring any better ones that I've not yet heard of.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"Tim Cain" <tim_no1@you_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> But the original claim was that V's are more efficient that canti's.

Yes

> Mechanical efficiency is the ratio of work output to work input.

Ye

> You haven't shown an efficiency gain for V's over cantis.

W?

I have mentioned qualitatively and semi-quantitatively how in various parts of a canti set up have
losses in force and distance, hence work. There is hardly any such loss in the V-brake. So, V-brakes
will be rather close to 100%, most canti setups at best 70%.

Anything else?

[Originating question: "Are V-Brakes more efficient than Cantilevers"
- A previous poster answered "Yes" ]

> > > I'd guess that the upward force on the vertical cable is in fact wastefully converted into two
> > > forces at an angle to the first.
> >
> > Where's the waste? Is the work being converted into heat, sound, light, or what?
>
> Bound to be heat. As its only a few joules you'd not notice.
>
> > Answer: None of the above. They (V's & cantilevers) are equally efficient.
>
> A bold statement, see below.
>
> > > Then - unless perfectly aligned (and even then doubtful) - the two cables to the top of the
> > > cable might not be pulling perpendicular to the pivot/attatchment.

> > > Wrong way round.
> >
> > You really ought to expand this section of your argument.
>
> Cantilevers are inefficient - your force and your distance are "wasted". The same is less true for
> V brakes. So the right way round is rather than: " if V-brakes are more efficient than
> cantilevers, where is the extra work coming from?" " if V-brakes are more efficient than
> cantilevers, where is the wasted work goin in cantis?"

> > > Cantilevers are less efficient and V brakes aren't magical.
> > >

> > In what way are cantilevers less efficient? How are you measuring or defining efficiency?
>
> Right... lets start with the part where the cable goes three ways.
> A) forces: Top one vertical, side ones at about 45 degrees to the horizontal. Do a force diagram
> and you'll find that a force F on the vertical cable is needed for a force half-F/root 2. As
> there's two, you are basically losing 30% of your force for no benefit.
>
> Force lost in %= cos angle to horizontal of two cables going to end of cantis. So, horizontal, you
> have 100% loss of that vertical force, 30 degrees 50% etc.
>
> B) Distance. You pull the vertical cable by 5mm and each side arm comes in by more or less that
> distance, but in many cases less.
>
> C) The pivots. Unless the side cables are pulling tangentially to the arc of the calipers, force
> is being wasted by pulling away or towards the
pivot.

> SO: With perfectly set up canti's some of your force is lost - not a leverage effect, just lost,
> pulling against pivots etc. As brake wear makes the set up different, it gets worse without a lot
> of mucking about.
>
> Even with wildly out V-brakes, you are pulling more or less tangentailly to the pivots directly,
> so there is far less of these "force wasting" effects.
>

> > But the original claim was that V's are more efficient that canti's.
>
> Yes
>
> > Mechanical efficiency is the ratio of work output to work input.
>
> Ye
>
> > You haven't shown an efficiency gain for V's over cantis.
>
> W?
>
> I have mentioned qualitatively and semi-quantitatively how in various
parts
> of a canti set up have losses in force and distance, hence work. There is hardly any such loss in
> the V-brake. So, V-brakes will be rather close to 100%, most canti setups at best 70%.

Come on WK, you just pulled those numbers out of thin air. And my claim was supposed to be bold!

The dominant difference between cantis and V's is that V's have a higher mechanical advantage.
That's it.

If you're going to tot up elastic deformations of the braking system and count 'em as losses, don't
forget that V's have much longer, thinner (and hence bendier) arms, and also rely on compression of
a longer section of cable housing. But, so what? These factors are irrelevant.

You note that in the case of canti's, the angle of the straddle cable decreases as increasing
pressure is applied at the lever (once the blocks are in contact with the rim). But not by much: The
stiffness of a unit length of 2mm brake cable is of the order of 8e-7 metres per Newton, which is
pretty damn stiff!

Decreasing ridge angle is of no account in any case: As the angle at the ridge of the straddle cable
decreases, the mechanical advantage of the brake system is lowered yet further, so that further
increments of force at the brake lever result in increased braking force for progressively smaller
displacements at the brake lever.

The work performed by you applying both cantis and V's for the same pad pressure on the rim is:
integral of force (applied at the brake lever) wrt displacement (of the lever). You're saying that
canti's suffer from a lower overall "stiffness", for want of a better term, than V's, and so the
Canti's lever displacement is increased. I'm not convinced: In my view, the compliance of both the
braking systems is a second order effect, ie noise.

Tim.

[I'm punting this over to RBT as well. Might get a few o' the resident engineers involved to throw
some light on the topic...]

---

On Tue, 20 May 2003 22:56:33 +0100, "Tim Cain" <tim_no1@you_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote:

>Come on WK, you just pulled those numbers out of thin air. And my claim was supposed to be bold!

Bill's technically correct, though, in that the question was about efficiency rather than
effectiveness. As such, of course, it was the Wrong Question...

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

> On Tue, 20 May 2003 22:56:33 +0100, "Tim Cain" <tim_no1@you_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Come on WK, you just pulled those numbers out of thin air. And my claim was supposed to be bold!
>
> Bill's technically correct, though, in that the question was about efficiency rather than
> effectiveness. As such, of course, it was the Wrong Question...

On the *effectiveness* score there's no dispute from this corner.

I wouldn't go back to canti's from me V's for all the rice wine in China.

Tim.

---

I haven't read the whole thread, but I don't really see how you can apply a term like efficiency
to brakes.

Because the only (braking) forces involved are frictions, there is always 0 work output, and thus
both systems are 0% efficient. As was mentioned, there is also friction & elasticity in the cables
and shoes etc. - it takes some work from your hands to press the brake shoe against the rim - but
once you've acheived contact at the desired pressure you go back to doing no work - the wheel is
moving but the brake lever is not.

So, each system will require a different amount of energy to initiate braking, and a different
amount of force to maintain it, but really it's meaningless to talk about efficiency.

Adam

Tim Cain wrote:
> Come on WK, you just pulled those numbers out of thin air. And my claim was supposed to be bold!
>
> The dominant difference between cantis and V's is that V's have a higher mechanical advantage.
> That's it.
>
> If you're going to tot up elastic deformations of the braking system and count 'em as losses,
> don't forget that V's have much longer, thinner (and hence bendier) arms, and also rely on
> compression of a longer section of cable housing. But, so what? These factors are irrelevant.
>
> You note that in the case of canti's, the angle of the straddle cable decreases as increasing
> pressure is applied at the lever (once the blocks are in contact with the rim). But not by much:
> The stiffness of a unit length of 2mm brake cable is of the order of 8e-7 metres per Newton, which
> is pretty damn stiff!
>
> Decreasing ridge angle is of no account in any case: As the angle at the ridge of the straddle
> cable decreases, the mechanical advantage of the brake system is lowered yet further, so that
> further increments of force at the brake lever result in increased braking force for progressively
> smaller displacements at the brake lever.
>
> The work performed by you applying both cantis and V's for the same pad pressure on the rim is:
> integral of force (applied at the brake lever) wrt displacement (of the lever). You're saying that
> canti's suffer from a lower overall "stiffness", for want of a better term, than V's, and so the
> Canti's lever displacement is increased. I'm not convinced: In my view, the compliance of both the
> braking systems is a second order effect, ie noise.
>
> Tim.
>
> [I'm punting this over to RBT as well. Might get a few o' the resident engineers involved to throw
> some light on the topic...]
>

> ---

> On Tue, 20 May 2003 11:05:14 +0100, "Clive George"

> >Or he's using 287-V's, as mentioned by Alex.
>
> I'd put money on it. Bob is The Man when it comes to bike repairs - he is the best blind bike
> mechanic in the business, barring any better ones that I've not yet heard of.

Heh. Actually, for that reason, he may be able to get away with normal levers...

cheers, clive

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I ran Magura hydraulics on my 'Dale SuperVee. Personally I don't think they are any better than
> properly set up V's.
>
> They are OK though...if somewhat expensive if my memory serves me right. My bike came with them!

I have heard that Magura rim brakes can be a bit too effective, and may wear down alloy rims faster
than cable brakes. Having said that, I wouldn't mind giving a set of HS66s a go for 'cross, though
it'd mean losing the convenience of Ergopower (unless a set of the elusive and now extinct Edco IGP
brake/shift levers turned up!).

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

"David E. Belcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I have heard that Magura rim brakes can be a bit too effective, and may wear down alloy rims
> faster than cable brakes. Having said that, I wouldn't mind giving a set of HS66s a go for 'cross,
> though it'd mean losing the convenience of Ergopower (unless a set of the elusive and now extinct
> Edco IGP brake/shift levers turned up!).

I may have said before that I think they're great... have a search for 'magura cult' for people
who agree.

The 'red' pads are the kool stop salmon compound, ie the best. These and the black ones aren't
hideous to rims in the way shimano pads seem to be. (but then carborundum pads would seen to be less
abrasive than shimano...)

cheers, clive

> Heh. Actually, for that reason, he may be able to get away with normal levers...

I did briefly try V brakes with a standard aero road lever and it was just possible to get them
adjusted so the blocks cleared the rims and the levers didn't hit the bars, but it was very fiddly
and not very satisfactory. Even when they were in optimum adjustment they were rather grabby as the
large lever movement gave a lot of mechanical advantage.

Sheldon mentions an eccentric pulley device called a Travel Agent that can be mounted on one of the
arms of the V to allow the brakes to work with a standard drop lever. I've also heard Francis
Thurmer of Hard-to-Find fame mention this gadget, and there may well be one of these on Guy's
stoker's tandem. Guy?

--
Dave...

> The 'red' pads are the kool stop salmon compound, ie the best. These and the black ones aren't
> hideous to rims in the way shimano pads seem to be.

Funny you should mention this - on Saturday I bought 2 pairs of Fibrax cartridge brake shoes [1] for
the 'cross bike, both sets coming with a free set of replacement pads. The ones already in the shoes
(and now on the bike) are black, the extra free sets are red. Any difference in the compounds with
these Fibrax pads, too, or is it just cosmetic? There's no info given on the packing to indicate why
the pad colours differ.

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

[1] Intended for V-brakes, but fit cantis that use peg-type blocks too, and look an awful lot
smarter than the standard Fibrax cantilever brake blocks. They seem to do an excellent job of
braking as well, with much better "toeing-in" to the rim.

Dia-Compe do a V-brake drop bar lever with concealed cable path - the 287V. Thirty quid a pair from
St John St. I've got a pair on my tourer. They work OK, but as most riding is done on a bike with
Hope discs these days, any rim brake is a bit disappointing...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On 21 May 2003 08:43:15 -0700, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

>Sheldon mentions an eccentric pulley device called a Travel Agent that can be mounted on one of the
>arms of the V to allow the brakes to work with a standard drop lever. I've also heard Francis
>Thurmer of Hard-to-Find fame mention this gadget, and there may well be one of these on Guy's
>stoker's tandem. Guy?

No I'm pretty sure Bob's got the Dia-Compes

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

[email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Sheldon mentions an eccentric pulley device called a Travel Agent that can be mounted on one of
> the arms of the V to allow the brakes to work with a standard drop lever. I've also heard Francis
> Thurmer of Hard-to-Find fame mention this gadget

Not in themselves hard to find, though - I think Ison Distribution are the UK importers, and there
are doubtless other makes out there of a similar design to suit different wallets. There are also
now V-brakes available with shorter arms to suit Ergopower, etc.; the Tektro Mini-V is one example.
Mind you, I've yet to see V-brakes of any sort catch on in a big way for 'cross - wide profile
cantis (e.g. Avid Shorty) are still the brake of choice on the whole.