V-day menu: What do you think?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Erica, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Erica

    Erica Guest

    For Valentines day, I'm thinking about preparing a decadent
    seven-course meal as my present to my boyfriend. This is just a
    tentative menu, but I was hoping for some feedback. Here goes:

    Cold appetizer course: Gravlax over cucumber salad Soup course: Carrot soup or roast garlic soup
    Hot appetizer course: Proscuitto-wrapped asparagus with fontina cheese sauce Pasta course:
    Cappellini with braised artichoke sauce Intermezzo: Sorbet (not sure what kind) Main course:
    Braised lamb shanks with white beans, swiss chard, and Herbes de Provence Salad course: Fennel,
    orange, and red onion salad OR mixed baby greens with raspberries Dessert: Flourless chocolate cake
    with almonds and espresso

    Whaddaya think?

    Tags:

  2. Dimiri

    Dimiri Guest

    "Erica" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > For Valentines day, I'm thinking about preparing a decadent seven-course meal as my present to my
    > boyfriend. This is just a tentative menu, but I was hoping for some feedback. Here goes:
    >
    > Cold appetizer course: Gravlax over cucumber salad Soup course: Carrot soup or roast garlic soup
    > Hot appetizer course: Proscuitto-wrapped asparagus with fontina cheese sauce Pasta course:
    > Cappellini with braised artichoke sauce Intermezzo: Sorbet (not sure what kind) Main course:
    > Braised lamb shanks with white beans, swiss chard, and Herbes de Provence Salad course: Fennel,
    > orange, and red onion salad OR mixed baby greens with raspberries Dessert: Flourless chocolate
    > cake with almonds and espresso
    >
    > Whaddaya think?

    Missing bone jumping.

    ;-)

    Dimitri

  3. Erica wrote:
    > For Valentines day, I'm thinking about preparing a decadent seven-course meal as my present to my
    > boyfriend. This is just a tentative menu, but I was hoping for some feedback. Here goes:
    >
    > Cold appetizer course: Gravlax over cucumber salad Soup course: Carrot soup or roast garlic soup
    > Hot appetizer course: Proscuitto-wrapped asparagus with fontina cheese sauce Pasta course:
    > Cappellini with braised artichoke sauce Intermezzo: Sorbet (not sure what kind) Main course:
    > Braised lamb shanks with white beans, swiss chard, and Herbes de Provence Salad course: Fennel,
    > orange, and red onion salad OR mixed baby greens with raspberries Dessert: Flourless chocolate
    > cake with almonds and espresso
    >
    > Whaddaya think?

    I'd think twice about the white beans. They give most people gas, not what you want for
    romance afterwards. I know they're traditional and tasty, but substitute a vegetable there,
    maybe sweet potatoes.

    --Lia

  4. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

  5. On 9 Feb 2004 19:22:28 -0800, [email protected] (Erica) wrote:

    >For Valentines day, I'm thinking about preparing a decadent seven-course meal as my present to my
    >boyfriend. This is just a tentative menu, but I was hoping for some feedback. Here goes:
    >
    >Cold appetizer course: Gravlax over cucumber salad Soup course: Carrot soup or roast garlic soup
    >Hot appetizer course: Proscuitto-wrapped asparagus with fontina cheese sauce Pasta course:
    >Cappellini with braised artichoke sauce Intermezzo: Sorbet (not sure what kind) Main course:
    >Braised lamb shanks with white beans, swiss chard, and Herbes de Provence Salad course: Fennel,
    >orange, and red onion salad OR mixed baby greens with raspberries Dessert: Flourless chocolate cake
    >with almonds and espresso
    >
    >Whaddaya think?

    If you execute all those successfully, and he doesn't appreciate it, get another boyfriend. Sounds
    fine to me.

    If you can get tiny wild raspberries I vote for the second salad. Otherwise the first. But I don't
    know your boyfriend.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    For your upscale SUV: Dingle-balls hand knit of natural Icelandic yarn

  6. Sf

    Sf Guest

    wrote:

    > For Valentines day, I'm thinking about preparing a decadent seven-course meal as my present to my
    > boyfriend. This is just a tentative menu, but I was hoping for some feedback. Here goes:
    >
    > Cold appetizer course: Gravlax over cucumber salad Soup course: Carrot soup or roast garlic soup
    > Hot appetizer course: Proscuitto-wrapped asparagus with fontina cheese sauce Pasta course:
    > Cappellini with braised artichoke sauce Intermezzo: Sorbet (not sure what kind) Main course:
    > Braised lamb shanks with white beans, swiss chard, and Herbes de Provence Salad course: Fennel,
    > orange, and red onion salad OR mixed baby greens with raspberries Dessert: Flourless chocolate
    > cake with almonds and espresso
    >
    > Whaddaya think?

    I think you have a lot of time on your hands.

  7. John Droge

    John Droge Guest

    "Erica" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > For Valentines day, I'm thinking about preparing a decadent seven-course meal as my present to my
    > boyfriend. This is just a tentative menu, but I was hoping for some feedback. Here goes:
    >
    > Cold appetizer course: Gravlax over cucumber salad Soup course: Carrot soup or roast garlic soup
    > Hot appetizer course: Proscuitto-wrapped asparagus with fontina cheese sauce Pasta course:
    > Cappellini with braised artichoke sauce Intermezzo: Sorbet (not sure what kind) Main course:
    > Braised lamb shanks with white beans, swiss chard, and Herbes de Provence Salad course: Fennel,
    > orange, and red onion salad OR mixed baby greens with raspberries Dessert: Flourless chocolate
    > cake with almonds and espresso
    >
    > Whaddaya think?
    Whip me Beat me Make me write bad checks I'm yours John ;-)~

  8. Erica wrote:
    > For Valentines day, I'm thinking about preparing a decadent seven-course meal as my present to my
    > boyfriend. This is just a tentative menu, but I was hoping for some feedback. Here goes:
    >
    > Cold appetizer course: Gravlax over cucumber salad Soup course: Carrot soup or roast garlic soup
    > Hot appetizer course: Proscuitto-wrapped asparagus with fontina cheese sauce Pasta course:
    > Cappellini with braised artichoke sauce Intermezzo: Sorbet (not sure what kind) Main course:
    > Braised lamb shanks with white beans, swiss chard, and Herbes de Provence Salad course: Fennel,
    > orange, and red onion salad OR mixed baby greens with raspberries Dessert: Flourless chocolate
    > cake with almonds and espresso
    >
    > Whaddaya think?

    The carrot soup, not the roasted garlic. Garlic is hard on the breath which is not romantic. Roasted
    garlic isn't as bad as raw, but garlic still isn't associated with romance.

    Portion control will be a challenge. When presented with that much rich food, people tend to
    overeat. Then they collapse snoring afterwards. But telling someone he can't have more seems
    miserly. I'm not saying it can't be done, but be careful of overstuffing your guest or overstuffing
    yourself. Could you cut one of the first 4 courses or switch one to something less rich? I have no
    trouble with rich food from a health or lose-weight perspective. My objection is the way several
    courses of rich food start to be all the same thing on the palate. I'd make that hot appetizer
    asparagus and some other vegetables (red peppers and mushrooms?) in lemon and feta or just lemon and
    green herbs.

    My suggestion for the sorbet is canteloupe.

    As I mentioned before, rethink the white beans. Even a little gas is not appropriate for this
    evening. Sweet potatoes have the advantage of being something that appreciates long slow cooking as
    do the lamb shanks. They'll go well with the chard color and flavor-wise.

    I like the fennel salad though both are good.

    Serve fresh strawberries and grapes with the chocolate cake. The tart flavors will go well and make
    the dessert less densely rich.

    You didn't mention wine. I have no idea what to suggest, but I think there should be one. Maybe
    champagne. That goes with everything.

    --Lia

  9. stan

    stan Guest

    Erica <[email protected]> wrote:
    > For Valentines day, I'm thinking about preparing a decadent seven-course meal as my present to my
    > boyfriend. This is just a tentative menu, but I was hoping for some feedback. Here goes:

    > Cold appetizer course: Gravlax over cucumber salad Soup course: Carrot soup or roast garlic soup
    > Hot appetizer course: Proscuitto-wrapped asparagus with fontina cheese sauce Pasta course:
    > Cappellini with braised artichoke sauce Intermezzo: Sorbet (not sure what kind) Main course:
    > Braised lamb shanks with white beans, swiss chard, and Herbes de Provence Salad course: Fennel,
    > orange, and red onion salad OR mixed baby greens with raspberries Dessert: Flourless chocolate
    > cake with almonds and espresso

    Sounds very appetising and thoughtful. You might want to replace your cake for dessert with
    something lighter. You two might not have enough room for a heavy dessert after all those courses.
    Maybe omit the intermeezo and use that for dessert.

  10. Erica

    Erica Guest

    OK, based on feedback, I have revised the menu:

    Cold appetizer: Gravlax over cucumber salad Soup: Caramelized tomato soup with basil guacamole Hot
    appetizer: Steamed globe artichoke with hollandaise sauce Intermezzo: Cantelope sorbet (probably
    have a little slice of prosciutto on the side) Main course: Braised lamb shanks with swiss chard,
    Herbes de Provence, and sweet potatoes Salad: Fennel and orange salad Dessert: Strawberries with
    balsamic vinegar

    I agree with everyone's suggestion to make the dinner a little less rich. So, I nixed out the
    pasta course, replaced the cake with fresh fruit, and subsituted the asparagus with a steamed
    artichoke. I will make the hollandaise dipping sauce myself since it's so cheap, and I can't
    resist a buttery sauce with an artichoke. Also, I remember reading in "On Food and Cooking" that
    artichokes temporarily alter the tastebuds to make food taste sweeter, so it could be delicious
    before a sorbet.

    I love the idea of cantelope sorbet as a palette cleanser, and I feel that it begs for a slice of
    prosciutto to be served alongside.

    I decided to go with the sweet potatoes with the lamb, and since that may be a bit too similar to
    carrots, I wanted to change the soup. I definetly want a pureed soup, as a chunky one is more of a
    meal in itself. He doesn't like parsnips or cauliflower, potato seemed too plain, butternut squash
    is too similar to sweet potatoes, asparagus is expensive, and broccoli-cheese is too rich. Obviously
    there are many other veggies that can go into a pureed soup, but you get the idea. I once made
    Daniel Bolud's recipe for chilled tomato soup with basil guacamole. However, I like hot soup much
    more, and I recently saw a great recipe for tomato soup that involves roasting seeded canned
    tomatoes with a sprinkle of brown sugar. I'm going to make that and serve with a timbale of basil
    guacamole (just avocado, shallots, lemon, and basil) in the center. If I can find those little
    fingerling potatoes, I might use them in lieu of sweet potatoes, but I still like this soup idea.
    I'm going to make a big batch so that I can have some for lunch the next day with grilled brie
    sandwiches :)

    I like the fennel salad for its simplicity and elegance, and I am still debating as to whether or
    not shaved red onion is a good idea, breath-wise. Normally I would make a balsamic vinaigrette, but
    since the strawberries come next it could be redundant. I'll probably pick some of the wild
    grapefruits in my backyard and make a vinaigrette out of those.

    Thanks for all of your suggestions!

    --Erica

    [email protected] (Erica) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > For Valentines day, I'm thinking about preparing a decadent seven-course meal as my present to my
    > boyfriend. This is just a tentative menu, but I was hoping for some feedback. Here goes:
    >
    > Cold appetizer course: Gravlax over cucumber salad Soup course: Carrot soup or roast garlic soup
    > Hot appetizer course: Proscuitto-wrapped asparagus with fontina cheese sauce Pasta course:
    > Cappellini with braised artichoke sauce Intermezzo: Sorbet (not sure what kind) Main course:
    > Braised lamb shanks with white beans, swiss chard, and Herbes de Provence Salad course: Fennel,
    > orange, and red onion salad OR mixed baby greens with raspberries Dessert: Flourless chocolate
    > cake with almonds and espresso
    >
    > Whaddaya think?

  11. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Erica) wrote:

    > For Valentines day, I'm thinking about preparing a decadent seven-course meal as my present to my
    > boyfriend. This is just a tentative menu, but I was hoping for some feedback. Here goes:

    [snipped a bunch of ideas that make my tummy rumble with pleasure]

    > Whaddaya think?

    Sounds wonderful. I just have one question: it doesn't seem like your domain (technodyke) is a place
    for women with boyfriends?

    If I'm being too personal, just tell me to go away and I will.

    --
    Dan Abel Sonoma State University AIS [email protected]

  12. Erica

    Erica Guest

    sf <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 9 Feb 2004 19:22:28 -0800, [email protected] (Erica) wrote:
    >
    > I think you have a lot of time on your hands.

    Haha...my vices are few -- good food, good wine, and good cigars -- but I take them VERY seriously.

    Cooking decadent meals is one of my passions...I always find time to indulge, somehow ;)

    Even if it means that I'm living off of bread and eggs for a week to afford this, hehe.

  13. Erica

    Erica Guest

    John Gaughan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Erica wrote:
    > > Whaddaya think?
    >
    > I think I'm jealous -- my wife could use meal planning and cooking lessons from you. Luckily I do
    > the cooking around here :)

    He USED to cook until we started dating...;)

  14. Erica

    Erica Guest

    > Sounds very appetising and thoughtful. You might want to replace your cake for dessert with
    > something lighter. You two might not have enough room for a heavy dessert after all those courses.
    > Maybe omit the intermeezo and use that for dessert.

    Yep...strawberries are cheap as dirt right now here in FL, so I might just serve a plate of those
    with a good balsamic vinegar.

    --Erica

  15. Erica

    Erica Guest

    Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s02>...
    > The carrot soup, not the roasted garlic. Garlic is hard on the breath which is not romantic.
    > Roasted garlic isn't as bad as raw, but garlic still isn't associated with romance.

    Good point!

    > Portion control will be a challenge. When presented with that much rich food, people tend to
    > overeat. Then they collapse snoring afterwards. But telling someone he can't have more seems
    > miserly. I'm not saying it can't be done, but be careful of overstuffing your guest or
    > overstuffing yourself. Could you cut one of the first 4 courses or switch one to something less
    > rich? I have no trouble with rich food from a health or lose-weight perspective. My objection is
    > the way several courses of rich food start to be all the same thing on the palate. I'd make that
    > hot appetizer asparagus and some other vegetables (red peppers and mushrooms?) in lemon and feta
    > or just lemon and green herbs.

    Yeah, I was thinking about cuttion out the pasta course altogether since pasta is so filling,
    and substituting a whole steamed artichoke with a nice dipping sauce for the asparagus. What do
    you think?

    > My suggestion for the sorbet is canteloupe.

    Mmmmm, good idea!

    > As I mentioned before, rethink the white beans. Even a little gas is not appropriate for this
    > evening. Sweet potatoes have the advantage of being something that appreciates long slow cooking
    > as do the lamb shanks. They'll go well with the chard color and flavor-wise.

    Again, a good point. He looooves sweet potatoes, so that would work well.

    > I like the fennel salad though both are good.
    >
    > Serve fresh strawberries and grapes with the chocolate cake. The tart flavors will go well and
    > make the dessert less densely rich.

    Yeah...as I mentioned previously, I might end up serving strawberries with balsamic vinegar instead
    of the cake altogether. I was planning on using a balsamic vinaigrette with the salad, so if I do
    those strawberries, I might use red wine or sherry vinegar instead.

    > You didn't mention wine. I have no idea what to suggest, but I think there should be one. Maybe
    > champagne. That goes with everything.

    Hahaha...I informed my boyfriend that his v-day present to me is some red wine to go with dinner ;)
    He seems to like the idea.

    All great suggestions, thank you so much!

  16. Catbird

    Catbird Guest

    > Erica <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > For Valentines day, I'm thinking about preparing a decadent seven-course meal as my present to
    > > my boyfriend. This is just a tentative menu, but I was hoping for some feedback. Here goes:
    >
    > > Cold appetizer course: Gravlax over cucumber salad Soup course: Carrot soup or roast garlic soup
    > > Hot appetizer course: Proscuitto-wrapped asparagus with fontina cheese sauce Pasta course:
    > > Cappellini with braised artichoke sauce Intermezzo: Sorbet (not sure what kind) Main course:
    > > Braised lamb shanks with white beans, swiss chard, and Herbes de Provence Salad course: Fennel,
    > > orange, and red onion salad OR mixed baby greens with raspberries Dessert: Flourless chocolate
    > > cake with almonds and espresso

    86 the garlic soup, beans, red onions, and anything else that might give gas, burps, or bad breath.
    You could have a whole lotta suggestive fun with that asparagus! *L* If you change the beans to
    sweet potato, will that be too similar with the carrot soup?

    --
    Catbird

    "Oh-oh, her schizo is about to phrenia" - Bob Hope

  17. Mia

    Mia Guest

    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On 9 Feb 2004 19:22:28 -0800, [email protected] (Erica) wrote:
    >
    > > For Valentines day, I'm thinking about preparing a decadent seven-course meal as my present to
    > > my boyfriend. This is just a tentative menu, but I was hoping for some feedback. Here goes:
    > >
    > > Cold appetizer course: Gravlax over cucumber salad Soup course: Carrot soup or roast garlic
    > > soup Hot appetizer course: Proscuitto-wrapped asparagus with fontina cheese sauce Pasta course:
    > > Cappellini with braised artichoke sauce Intermezzo: Sorbet (not sure what kind) Main course:
    > > Braised lamb shanks with white beans, swiss chard, and Herbes de Provence Salad course: Fennel,
    > > orange, and red onion salad OR mixed baby greens with raspberries Dessert: Flourless chocolate
    > > cake with almonds and espresso
    > >
    > > Whaddaya think?
    >
    > I think you have a lot of time on your hands.
    >

    > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

    I think that I wish I was your boyfriend -- you're wonderful to do all this and the menu sounds
    different and very fresh. It seems like you can do the prep for many of the recipes ahead of time. I
    especially like the simplicity and elegance of the fennel, orange, red onion salad -- a citrusy
    vinaigrette and some chopped walnuts over the top would be excellent with that. Just curious -- how
    did you come up with this menu? I can't wait to steal some of your ideas. :)

    Good luck with the dinner! Mia

  18. Erica

    Erica Guest

    Hahaha...that is my spam address.

    --Erica

  19. Erica wrote:

    > Yeah, I was thinking about cuttion out the pasta course altogether since pasta is so filling,
    > and substituting a whole steamed artichoke with a nice dipping sauce for the asparagus. What do
    > you think?

    That sounds good, and it reminds me of something else altogether. There are people for whom a meal
    isn't a meal unless there is bread on the table. If that's the case, definitely have dinner rolls
    instead of the pasta course.

    These sorts of questions are my favorite threads. Thanks for something interesting.

    --Lia

  20. Erica

    Erica Guest

    "Catbird" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > 86 the garlic soup, beans, red onions, and anything else that might give gas, burps, or bad
    > breath. You could have a whole lotta suggestive fun with that asparagus! *L* If you change the
    > beans to sweet potato, will that be too similar with the carrot soup?

    If I change the beans to sweet potato, I am thinking about making a tomato soup with basil
    guacamole. I'm also considering keeping the beans and making a curried butternut squash soup with
    cilantro yogurt (found that recipe in Cook's Illustrated).

    So we will see...:)

    --Erica