V.LONG: first, largely uneventful, milestone.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dave, Feb 13, 2003.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Well, I gurn an' dun it. Being exceedingly frustrated by circumstances beyond my control ( snowy icy
    stuff and bit of a sniffle), I was determined to do my first serious run today, since getting back
    on a roadbike mid-last year. As the header says, I consider it my first milestone, but I suppose
    it's the second. The first was getting back on the bike in the first place ;-). I bought a hydration
    pack rucksack (2L/20L) a couple of weeks ago and the hi-viz vest last week, so was all ready to go.
    I was a bit cheesed off when the local weather news indicated it would be cloudy and cold today,
    last night. He also said there was an outside chance there might be some snow!!..... Anyway, I
    prepped the bike last night regardless and having seen my wife and son out the door this morning,
    proceeded to pack me bags...tools, food, water, sorted. Finally got out at 0950 and headed for
    Shrewsbury. The ride out was no problem. Wolverhampton, rush hour traffic dying down, one or two
    courteous cagers, one or two nods of appeciation. Wolverhampton to Shifnal, road very quiet. It used
    to be quite busy, back in the day, when I were a lad, etcetc, but since the invention of the M54,
    it's a lot quieter. In fact I found the whole ride a real 'trip back in time' as this was the route
    we used to take to Wales (5 hols a year in the family caravan at Barmouth), but as mentioned, since
    the arrival of the M54.... Saw lots of landmarks I used to subconciously note as a kid, mostly
    buildings, nice to see 'em again. Then came Telford !...If you can use the M54, you barely notice
    it. If you can't, but just want to pass through, it is a bloody nightmare. There's the odd sign
    indicating alternate routes, but nothing generally coherent. There are lovely old milestones on the
    Shrewsbury side, indicating the mileage to Shifnal. No mention of Telford at all. Think this is some
    aggrieved town planner getting his own back, finally. By using the forks (use the forks, luke), I
    finally managed to pop out the other side, picked up the old A5, renamed B5106 since the M54
    extension took the name A5 (can they do that!...it's a Roman Road you know....can't just nick the
    name!!). Finally, the last ten miles onto Shrewsbury. Despite the fact that there is a great three
    lane highway, some cagers still love the experience of driving down standard A-roads, complete with
    the odd twist and turn that can be taken at ridiculous speeds (bloody 'ell, a bloke on a bike!!).
    The B5106 still has a lot of the characteristics of the old A5...long straight bits. It seemed to
    take 'a while' to complete that last ten miles and I was grateful to finally arrive at Shrewsbury
    and thinking of the return journey, more than a little aware of the lovely downhill gradients on the
    approach roads, down to the river / town centre. Tied the trusty steed up in the town centre at
    conveniently located bike parks, whipped off the helmet and gloves, only for me hands to instantly
    go numb with the cold, followed by the rest of my now rather damp 'covered bits'. Noticed very fine
    snow as I was locking the bike up!! Why is it weather men only get it right when they're forcasting
    weather that will ruin your plans ?? Onward, upward.... After a 45 min break that involved cheeses
    and onion french fries, a bannana, lodsa maltloaf, a apple and water I decided it was time to hit
    the shops, 'cos it was bloody cold and I wanted a warm before the return trip. Beware Holland &
    Barratt, they won't accept cards on anything less than a fiver. Well at least not in Shrewsbury
    anyway! Marginally warmed I returned to the bike, togged up and had a pleasant, if brief,
    conversation with a gent who arrived and took my parking space. He was on a lovely old Dawes.
    Unfortunately 'it was gold' was all that registered, such was the power of the cold. He seemed
    slightly bemused by the idea that I was on a round trip from the other side of Wolverhampton, but
    commented on the fact that I had 'all the right gear' and wished me all the best. By the time I'd
    managed to break free of the Shrewsbury ringroad I was bloody freezing again and seriously worried
    about getting back in one piece. I was wearing thermalite gloves but my fingers and thumbs continued
    to go numb with the cold, giving me problems changing gears with the downtube gear levers. The
    temperature finally rose sufficient to make the difference. I took it a little easier on the way
    back and stopped for a food break following the last 'great climb' half way between Shifnal and
    Wolverhampton. I could feel the energy ebbing away and thought caution to be the better part of
    valour. This was supposed to be a leisurely, enjoyable ride out, after all. That got me home, just,
    to a heavenly cup of tea and a sublime hot bath (first for 10 years!!!). We've got a cast iron roll
    top bath, which is a great feature but crap at keeping the water warm. This coupled with a below par
    combi-boiler means it's normally quicker to hit the shower. Not to be phased, I wacked the
    temperature up and insisted on the bath as a treat. Finished off with a shower, just to warm up
    again...bliss!!...I want a sauna installed at home, now!!!!...called the local sauna establishment
    last week to enquire of their prices and opening times. They've been busted for operating a brothel
    three times in the 10 years we've been here. I was informed that they were open 10-10 M-S and 10 - 4
    Sunday (good) and prices were £10 for a single girl massage, £15 for two, anything after that is
    negotiable with the girls (not good...or is it?, I don't know ;-)...but I phoned about the sauna, it
    says in the yellow pages....'oh, no, the saunas broken at the moment ' ...damn....sounds like
    they're ready to be busted again!! Anyway, completed ride, no problems, totally uneventful and I'm
    sure in the middle of summer it'll be a real pleasurable ride. 65 miles, 6.5 hours, with 1 hours
    break all in all, so 5.5 hours in the saddle....talking of which, *MUST* get myself a brookes
    saddle!! Off for me pie and chips now...I'm WALKING to the chip shop ;-) cheers, Dave

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Dave <no- [email protected]> writes
    >Well, I gurn an' dun it. Being exceedingly frustrated by circumstances beyond my control ( snowy
    >icy stuff and bit of a sniffle), I was determined to do my first serious run today, since getting
    >back on a roadbike mid-last year. As the header says, I consider it my first milestone, but I
    >suppose it's the second. The first was getting back on the bike in the first place ;-).

    etc.

    Well done, mate.
    --
    The Big Baguette

  3. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "The Big Baguette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Dave <no- [email protected]> writes
    > >Well, I gurn an' dun it. Being exceedingly frustrated by circumstances beyond my control ( snowy
    icy
    > >stuff and bit of a sniffle), I was determined to do my first serious run today, since getting
    > >back on a roadbike mid-last year. As the header
    says, I
    > >consider it my first milestone, but I suppose it's the second. The first
    was
    > >getting back on the bike in the first place ;-).
    >

    > etc.
    >
    > Well done, mate.

    Yes and thanks for the story, I printed it out and read it in the sauna.

  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > "The Big Baguette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, Dave <no- [email protected]> writes
    > > >Well, I gurn an' dun it. Being exceedingly frustrated by circumstances beyond my control (
    > > >snowy
    > icy
    > > >stuff and bit of a sniffle), I was determined to do my first serious
    run
    > > >today, since getting back on a roadbike mid-last year. As the header
    > says, I
    > > >consider it my first milestone, but I suppose it's the second. The
    first
    > was
    > > >getting back on the bike in the first place ;-).
    > >

    > > etc.
    > >
    > > Well done, mate.
    >
    > Yes and thanks for the story, I printed it out and read it in the sauna.
    >
    > --
    > Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

    Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it.... yumm them chips was good...next stop, indegestion-ville! Dave,
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....burp!
    p.s. - glad the story got a sauna ;-)

  5. Stephen \

    Stephen \ Guest

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    > times in the 10 years we've been here. I was informed that they were open 10-10 M-S and 10 - 4
    > Sunday (good) and prices were £10 for a single girl massage, £15 for two, anything after that is
    > negotiable with the girls (not good...or is it?, I don't know ;-)...but I phoned about the sauna,
    > it says in the yellow pages....'oh, no, the saunas broken at the moment ' ...damn....sounds like
    > they're ready to be busted again!! Anyway, completed ride, no problems, totally uneventful and
    > I'm sure in
    the
    > middle of summer it'll be a real pleasurable ride. 65 miles, 6.5 hours,
    with
    > 1 hours break all in all, so 5.5 hours in the saddle....talking of which, *MUST* get myself a
    > brookes saddle!! Off for me pie and chips now...I'm WALKING to the chip shop ;-) cheers, Dave

    £15 for a 2-girl massage is great. Nice ride too ;-)

  6. In message <[email protected]>, Simon Mason <[email protected]> writes

    > Yes and thanks for the story, I printed it out and read it in the sauna.

    Were the girls _that_ boring, then? I mean, you didn't expect good conversation about your spoke
    nipples, did you?

    --
    Richard Keatinge

    http://www.keatinge.net

  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Stephen (aka steford)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Well, I gurn an' dun it. Being exceedingly frustrated by circumstances beyond my control ( snowy
    > icy

    <snip> ......loadsa stuff <snip>

    > > Finished off with a shower, just to warm up again...bliss!!...I want a
    > sauna
    > > installed at home, now!!!!...called the local sauna establishment last
    > week
    > > to enquire of their prices and opening times. They've been busted for operating a brothel three
    > > times in the 10 years we've been here. I was informed that they were open 10-10 M-S and 10 - 4
    > > Sunday (good) and
    prices
    > > were £10 for a single girl massage, £15 for two, anything after that is negotiable with the
    > > girls (not good...or is it?, I don't know ;-)...but

    <snip> loads more stuff........... <snip>

    > > cheers, Dave
    > >
    > £15 for a 2-girl massage is great. Nice ride too ;-)

    So....you want the 'phone no.??? ;-) eh, eh?