V-Rex Seat Suggestions?

Freewheeling

Guest
Hi:

I have a 1998 V-Rex that's been significantly modified, with a
Bachetta-style handlebar riser and a Rholoff hub. The RANS seat is
broken on one side, and I've inserted and glued-in-place a wooden dowel
to keep the thing on the road, but would like to replace the seat with
something that's not broken. I guess the limiting thing is that goofy
skewer-and-bracket that was used on the 1998 model. (I'm not sure what
they use now.) I don't think I want another RANS seat, although that's
an option. Maybe a Bachetta seat or something even more aero?

Any ideas?

As usual cut the "tail" to reply.

--Scott

"Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi:
>
> I have a 1998 V-Rex that's been significantly modified, with a
> Bachetta-style handlebar riser and a Rholoff hub. The RANS seat is broken
> on one side, and I've inserted and glued-in-place a wooden dowel to keep
> the thing on the road, but would like to replace the seat with something
> that's not broken. I guess the limiting thing is that goofy
> skewer-and-bracket that was used on the 1998 model. (I'm not sure what
> they use now.) I don't think I want another RANS seat, although that's an
> option. Maybe a Bachetta seat or something even more aero?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> As usual cut the "tail" to reply.
>
> --Scott

It sounds like you have a few options, most involve taking the old seat
mount off and fitting it to a new seat, which could be a newish quality RANS
seat made through the year they went to the RAD-LOC. a Bacchetta seat with a
bracket graft. even a hardshell like the M5. You could also remove the sheet
metal seat mount from your V-Rex and buy the Rad-Loc adapter and a new RANS
seat, or graft the Rad-Loc to an older seat.

Just an opinion about 'glass seats; the Novo-sports (like the pre body-link
HP Velo seat) seat is more comfortable than the M5 style. TheNovo seat pan
rolls the edge over to reduce pressure on your thighs, nut up to increase
cupping and edge pressure.

On Apr 3, 11:52 am, "gotbent" wrote:
> "Freewheeling" wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > Hi:

> > I have a 1998 V-Rex that's been significantly modified, with a
> > Bachetta-style handlebar riser and a Rholoff hub. The RANS seat is broken
> > on one side, and I've inserted and glued-in-place a wooden dowel to keep
> > the thing on the road, but would like to replace the seat with something
> > that's not broken. I guess the limiting thing is that goofy
> > skewer-and-bracket that was used on the 1998 model. (I'm not sure what
> > they use now.) I don't think I want another RANS seat, although that's an
> > option. Maybe a Bachetta seat or something even more aero?

> > Any ideas?

> > As usual cut the "tail" to reply.

> > --Scott

> It sounds like you have a few options, most involve taking the old seat
> mount off and fitting it to a new seat, which could be a newish quality RANS
> seat made through the year they went to the RAD-LOC. a Bacchetta seat with a
> bracket graft. even a hardshell like the M5....

The general consensus is that hard-shell "Euro" seats do not work well
on recumbents with a fairly upright seating position such as the RANS
V-Rex.

One option for a hard-shell seat designed for a more upright position
is the Easy Racers "Cobra", which could likely be adapted to a RANS by
fabricating new seat mounts. These used to be (are?) available
reconditioned from Easy Racers (from trade-ins for "Cool Back" seats).

To get a hard-shell seat that really fits well, go to the beach and
form a "seat back" in the sand. Cover the formed sand with Plaster of
Paris to make a mold that can be used for composite lay-up. Trim and
mount after curing.

On the other hand, any competent frame builder or other person
experienced in welding thin-wall tubing should be able to repair the
existing seat.

See **** dismantle his Rohloff hub: < http://tricolour.net/photos/2007/03/08/03-00-24i1.html
>.

Gotbent, Perry, and Tom:

Thanks for all the great suggestions, folks! I'm thinking I'll probably
go the Bachetta seat route. I like Mark and Rich's design orientation,
and I've already got some of the Bachetta gear installed. Maybe they'll
give me a good deal on a seat, for old time sake. I'm also not too sure
what a "Rad-Loc" is, or whether it'd be useful to install the adapter on
my bike. As I recall, the Bachetta seat mount is a whole different
thing, designed to grab that bigger tube stock.

I've also had an operation recently, turning my ":" into a ";", if you
know what I mean. I've had some complications that aren't serious, but
just uncomfortable. In view of that I should probably wait until the
complications settle down and then do some riding to judge what seat
position and type works best for me.

--Scott

"Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gotbent, Perry, and Tom:
>
> Thanks for all the great suggestions, folks! I'm thinking I'll probably
> go the Bachetta seat route. I like Mark and Rich's design orientation,
> and I've already got some of the Bachetta gear installed. Maybe they'll
> give me a good deal on a seat, for old time sake. I'm also not too sure
> what a "Rad-Loc" is, or whether it'd be useful to install the adapter on
> my bike. As I recall, the Bachetta seat mount is a whole different thing,
> designed to grab that bigger tube stock.
>
> I've also had an operation recently, turning my ":" into a ";", if you
> know what I mean. I've had some complications that aren't serious, but
> just uncomfortable. In view of that I should probably wait until the
> complications settle down and then do some riding to judge what seat
> position and type works best for me.
>
> --Scott

The Rad-loc is the latest (post 2002?) RANS seat mount. It is a band and
toggle clamp arrangement that requires a different seat rail (extruded or
machined shape, not bent sheet metal). The B clamp is designed to go around
the ovalized tube that B uses, not at all compatible with RANS. Also B uses
part of the seatbase as part of the clamp, consequently the seat base
deflects as you tighten their clamp and their seat slips too. If you root
around the homebuilders fora (like the one at www.recumbents.com) there are
probably some articles about transferring seat mounts between species. It's
just not rocket science, or even more than barely acceptable design
practice, or both companies would have seat mounts that don't rely on
friction to resist pedalling thrust reaction.

So some guys report recumbutt, but do I understand your problem as
recumnuts? Just keep wearing that suspensary and soak your nutsack in ice a
few times a day. After a while they stop looking like a grapefruit.

gotbent wrote:
> "Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Gotbent, Perry, and Tom:
>>
>> Thanks for all the great suggestions, folks! I'm thinking I'll probably
>> go the Bachetta seat route. I like Mark and Rich's design orientation,
>> and I've already got some of the Bachetta gear installed. Maybe they'll
>> give me a good deal on a seat, for old time sake. I'm also not too sure
>> what a "Rad-Loc" is, or whether it'd be useful to install the adapter on
>> my bike. As I recall, the Bachetta seat mount is a whole different thing,
>> designed to grab that bigger tube stock.
>>
>> I've also had an operation recently, turning my ":" into a ";", if you
>> know what I mean. I've had some complications that aren't serious, but
>> just uncomfortable. In view of that I should probably wait until the
>> complications settle down and then do some riding to judge what seat
>> position and type works best for me.
>>
>> --Scott

> The Rad-loc is the latest (post 2002?) RANS seat mount. It is a band and
> toggle clamp arrangement that requires a different seat rail (extruded or
> machined shape, not bent sheet metal). The B clamp is designed to go around
> the ovalized tube that B uses, not at all compatible with RANS. Also B uses
> part of the seatbase as part of the clamp, consequently the seat base
> deflects as you tighten their clamp and their seat slips too. If you root
> around the homebuilders fora (like the one at www.recumbents.com) there are
> probably some articles about transferring seat mounts between species. It's
> just not rocket science, or even more than barely acceptable design
> practice, or both companies would have seat mounts that don't rely on
> friction to resist pedalling thrust reaction.
>
> So some guys report recumbutt, but do I understand your problem as
> recumnuts? Just keep wearing that suspensary and soak your nutsack in ice a
> few times a day. After a while they stop looking like a grapefruit.

Nope, that's not my problem. I had a colonectomy, which has caused some
inflammation and thrombosis "down south". In theory it'll go away
eventually. I guess I shouldn't have used the actual graphic
punctuation marks. Had I just said "turned my colon into a semicolon"
it might have been clearer. Thanks again for the advice.

On Apr 4, 4:09 pm, Freewheeling <[email protected]> wrote:
> Gotbent, Perry, and Tom:
>
> Thanks for all the great suggestions, folks! I'm thinking I'll probably
> go the Bachetta seat route. I like Mark and Rich's design orientation,
> and I've already got some of the Bachetta gear installed. Maybe they'll
> give me a good deal on a seat, for old time sake. I'm also not too sure
> what a "Rad-Loc" is, or whether it'd be useful to install the adapter on
> my bike. As I recall, the Bachetta seat mount is a whole different
> thing, designed to grab that bigger tube stock.
>
> I've also had an operation recently, turning my ":" into a ";", if you
> know what I mean. I've had some complications that aren't serious, but
> just uncomfortable. In view of that I should probably wait until the
> complications settle down and then do some riding to judge what seat
> position and type works best for me.
>
> --Scott

Scott..

Haven't been here in ages and just happened to see this post.

On BROL you can see how the Bacchetta EuroMesh seat looks. It's a
piece of cake to install. If you want more information and some pics
email me at RandoChina AT yahoo DOT com I can show you pics of how
easy it is to modify the bottom of the EuroMesh seat to fit on the V-
REX. Also, you will/should cut the bottom most zip tie and remove it
to allow the EM seat to tilt back as much as you want.

I'm having the VREX made into a travel bike by having it S&S coupled.

I don't frequent this board, so if you do need/want more info, feel
free to write to me at that email address.

Tailwinds

Slo Joe

On Apr 21, 11:28 am, Slo Joe Recumbo aka Joe Keenan wrote:
> I don't frequent this board, so if you do need/want more info, feel
> free to write to me at that email address.

This is a Usenet newsgroup, not a message board.

On Apr 21, 1:56 pm, Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 21, 11:28 am, Slo Joe Recumbo aka Joe Keenan wrote:

> > I don't frequent this board, so if you do need/want more info, feel
> > free to write to me at that email address.

> This is a Usenet newsgroup, not a message board.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

Tom, just offering the gentleman some help. If you don't agree with
offering someone help, that's your choice.

On Apr 21, 1:17 pm, Slo Joe Recumbo aka Joe Keenan wrote:
> On Apr 21, 1:56 pm, Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Apr 21, 11:28 am, Slo Joe Recumbo aka Joe Keenan wrote:

> > > I don't frequent this board, so if you do need/want more info, feel
> > > free to write to me at that email address.

> > This is a Usenet newsgroup, not a message board.

> Tom, just offering the gentleman some help. If you don't agree with
> offering someone help, that's your choice.

Point one (1) - I did offer a couple of suggestions in response to the
original post.

Point two (2) - My contention that this is a Usenet newsgroup and not
a message board is factually correct.

On Apr 21, 2:26 pm, Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 21, 1:17 pm, Slo Joe Recumbo aka Joe Keenan wrote:
>
> > On Apr 21, 1:56 pm, Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > This is a Usenet newsgroup, not a message board.

> > Tom, just offering the gentleman some help. If you don't agree with
> > offering someone help, that's your choice.

> Point one (1) - I did offer a couple of suggestions in response to the
> original post.
>
> Point two (2) - My contention that this is a Usenet newsgroup and not
> a message board is factually correct.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

okay..so what's your point?

On Apr 21, 1:38 pm, Slo Joe Recumbo <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 21, 2:26 pm, Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Apr 21, 1:17 pm, Slo Joe Recumbo aka Joe Keenan wrote:

> > > Tom, just offering the gentleman some help. If you don't agree with
> > > offering someone help, that's your choice.

> > Point one (1) - I did offer a couple of suggestions in response to the
> > original post.

> > Point two (2) - My contention that this is a Usenet newsgroup and not
> > a message board is factually correct.

> > --
> > Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> > The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

> okay..so what's your point?

"Free range" and "factory farm"?

On Apr 21, 1:51 pm, Slo Joe Recumbo <[email protected]> wrote:
> (SNIP)
>

> > Point two (2) - My contention that this is a Usenet newsgroup and not
> > a message board is factually correct.

> > --
> > Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> > The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

> Not exactly. There are numerous definitions that liken a newsgroup to
> a message board. Have fun reading
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=GGLR,GGLR:2006-12,GGLR:en&defl...

Usenet being a distributed system makes it fundamentally different
from a unitary message board and definitions that conflate the two are
wrong.

On Apr 23, 1:09 am, Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 21, 1:51 pm, Slo Joe Recumbo <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > (SNIP)

> > > Point two (2) - My contention that this is a Usenet newsgroup and not
> > > a message board is factually correct.

> > > --
> > > Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> > > The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

> > Not exactly. There are numerous definitions that liken a newsgroup to
> > a message board. Have fun reading

> >http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=GGLR,GGLR:2006-12,GGLR:en&defl...

> Usenet being a distributed system makes it fundamentally different
> from a unitary message board and definitions that conflate the two are
> wrong.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

No problem Tom. I'll correct part of my posting.

Original Posting: I don't frequent this board, so if you do need/want
more info, feel
free to write to me at that email address.

Change to: I don't frequent this NEWSGROUP, a distributed system, so
if you do need/want more info, feel
free to write to me at RandoChina AT yahoo DOT com. .

The offer is for anyone interested in converting a RANS seat on a V-
REX to a Bacchetta EuroMesh seat. Sorry for going Off Topic.

On Apr 23, 4:28 pm, Slo Joe Recumbo aka Joe Keenan wrote:
> The offer is for anyone interested in converting a RANS seat on a V-
> REX to a Bacchetta EuroMesh seat. Sorry for going Off Topic.

What does one do with the leftover RANS seat after the conversion?

Personally, I think a RANS seat office chair would be cool.

On Apr 25, 4:10 am, Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Freewheeling" wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
> [...]

> [...]
> > Nope, that's not my problem. I had a colonectomy, which has caused some
> > inflammation and thrombosis "down south". In theory it'll go away
> > eventually. I guess I shouldn't have used the actual graphic punctuation
> > marks. Had I just said "turned my colon into a semicolon" it might have
> > been clearer. Thanks again for the advice.

> I got the "colon into a semicolon," but I still do not know what you had. I
> suspect either colon cancer or colitis. Colitis is a fearsome disease that
> can just about kill you any number of ways.
>
> The VA is always checking us for colon cancer via any bleeding in the stool.
> But I wonder if that test is any good?
>
> I suspect you will want to be very laid back, but a mesh seat can do that as
> well as a hardback seat. I also think you will want the crank to be at least
> seat level or even somewhat higher provided you do not get foot numbness.

Hey Ed,

Please pay attention. Scott was posting back as far as the last
century on issues with hot foot (in the right foot).