V02 max

Discussion in 'Next Generation' started by Yippie Kye Ay, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Yippie Kye Ay

Yippie Kye Ay New Member

I just had my VO2 max tested and it came out at 53 my trainer told me this was between excellent and exceptional can anybody else tell me what there VO2 max is?

Tags:

2. climbo

climbo New Member

for a younger person ( i assume you are a teenager ), yes that is good. Read up on what it means here. As a rough guide, top level elite cyclists can be in the 75-80 range for VO2 max.

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/vo2max.htm

3. clarko

clarko New Member

does your vo2 max improve as you age, to a certain point. (im 15) or is it a genetic thing that is pretty static

4. Yippie Kye Ay

Yippie Kye Ay New Member

From what I understand VO2 max changes during times when you are working constantly and not working out much.

5. sparknote_s

sparknote_s New Member

Where can you get that tested? I've been a competitive distance swimmer since the age of 6, cross country runner in middle school and past two years, and triathlons this past summer. Next year I'm trying bike racing...it'd be interesting to see the results.

6. Yippie Kye Ay

Yippie Kye Ay New Member

Go to a gym and ask if you can have it tested usually they will do it for a small price.

7. joule

joule New Member

Had a test done recently. Showed a Peak VO2 of 63.4. The graphic showed my VO2 almost off the chart! Was wondering if maybe it was an aberration, but seeing your test results makes me believe the number more. Not sure if any of this relates to the test result but am 47 and have been riding (mostly endurance level heart rate) for about 6 months, 5-10 hours a week, weight around 140 lbs. My anaerobic threashold however needs some work, only 151 with VO2 at 41.6 or 66% of max. Assume to bring that up workouts over my AT are in order?

Thanks.

8. Virenque

Virenque New Member

My max. (almost) was 58 and it was the lowest in our team.

9. gee.bike

gee.bike New Member

just got tested today, vo2 max 75. LT 300 watts

10. swskier

swskier New Member

your VO2 is always changing with your exertion. your VO2 max which is the one everyone is interested is your VO2 at maximum exertion. Mine is 76.

11. vio765

vio765 New Member

Never had my VO2 Max professionally tested, but my Polar 625 says it is 67. that was March 13 2005. in november of 2004 it was 69. i am convinced it has dropped because in november i was hitting the singletrack hard. then the winter "slow" (i have no "off" season) it went down. i am following a rigorous periodized training program this season for road racing, so i am expecting it to go up.

12. rayner

rayner New Member

Just wondering if anyone could tell me how to measure my vo2 max without dropping any money (if possible).I dont care for this kind of thing normally but now its got me curious.

13. swcycling

swcycling New Member

not with any accuracy

14. Roadie_scum

Roadie_scum New Member

If you are near a research university with an exercise science department you could be in luck. Often in exchange for participating in a short study (which might involve taking a vitamin or stimulant, training a certain way, etc) they will test all your physiological variables (VO2, LT, etc) for free. Call your closest university and find out if they need anyone.

15. KeSs

KeSs New Member

i still need to go out and see what mine is

16. whoawhoa

whoawhoa New Member

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t249959-estimating-vo2-max.html

But you need a power meter.