Vacation coming - Running as replacement for cycling?

WINGNUTT

Jun 13, 2004
I'm heading to South Africa for three weeks this December. I can't take my bike, but I really don't want to lose the fitness level I've been working so hard towards for the past 6 months. I ride around 4 times a week, 2 hrs on average per ride. When I go on vacation, I'm thinking that running in the mornings will be a good replacement for lack of riding time. Does anyone know how good of a replacement this is? Is it possible to maintain my fitness level by running for a couple of hours in the morning, three or four mornings per week? What else can I do, assuming no gym access either.

WINGNUTT said:
I'm heading to South Africa for three weeks this December. I can't take my bike, but I really don't want to lose the fitness level I've been working so hard towards for the past 6 months. I ride around 4 times a week, 2 hrs on average per ride. When I go on vacation, I'm thinking that running in the mornings will be a good replacement for lack of riding time. Does anyone know how good of a replacement this is? Is it possible to maintain my fitness level by running for a couple of hours in the morning, three or four mornings per week? What else can I do, assuming no gym access either.
Unfortunately running will not maintain your cycling-specific fitness, although it will help you maintain your weight and will preserve some 'central' fitness (heart and lungs). One thing to beware- running is a far more physically stressful activity than cycling and one which you may not be accustomed to (I don't know). If you don't run regulary then plan to ease yourself in gently or I can pretty much guarantee you an injury (that might set you back far further than 2 weeks off). If you start running a little now then you should be OK. Just don't go to SA and suddenly start running three or four times a week or you're asking for trouble. If you're only going for a couple of weeks you won't lose all your fitness by any means. Perhpas treat it as a little recovery period and start your structured training when you get home.

I hear the swimming in SA is pretty good too!

L.

WINGNUTT said:
When is the last time you took a break from cycling?

Thanks for the input biker-linz, I was afraid that would be the case. I will start to do some running and jogging so that I don't bust a knee when I get out there. I guess I'll just have to run and swim while on vacation, and deal with the consequences when I get home.

Solar, I've been riding fairly consistently since the beginning of July, 4 or 5 times a week. I've taken a few weekend trips here and there where I haven't ridden. I'm not feeling burned out or anything, I'm really enjoying it now that I can notice my fitness level getting better and better.

I too have this problem. This will be my 4th day off and it's killing me. This is supposed to be a rest week, but I don't think they meant this much rest.

How long before I can expect to detrain? The past 3 weeks I have been riding a ton compared to my old miles. When last week ended, I was worn out. I was also starting to get pains in my right hamstring.

Is the 4 days of rest going to do me well, or am I detraining as we speak?

-Matt

WINGNUTT said:

Its better than doing nothing at all.

WINGNUTT said:
...Solar, I've been riding fairly consistently since the beginning of July, 4 or 5 times a week. I've taken a few weekend trips here and there where I haven't ridden. I'm not feeling burned out or anything, I'm really enjoying it now that I can notice my fitness level getting better and better.
FWIW, some people try to adapt their agenda with their yearly plan. For instance, if a 3 week break is scheduled at the end of August, then they try to respect it.

Me, I like to work it the other way around.

You can afford to take couple of weeks off, once or twice a year. Why not jumping on this occasion to not stress, and fully enjoy your trip. Run if you like to run. Or else, take it off and enjoy.:)