vacation destination

Denton Fabrics

Guest
I dont know if this is the proper place to ask this but I've got a week off and a free plane ticket
to anywhere and I'm looking for some suggestions for a destination.

I'd like a place where I can hike, bike and/or paddle. Touring bike, mountain bike, either one is
fine. Maybe a National Park? (Right now, I'm leaning towards the Everglades or Big Bend N.P. in
Texas) It's winter so it's gotta be down south. (It's too cold for the Grand Canyon, right?)

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a place to go.

Thanks, Denton Fabrics

> I dont know if this is the proper place to ask this but I've got a week off and a free plane
> ticket to anywhere and I'm looking for some suggestions for a destination.
>
> I'd like a place where I can hike, bike and/or paddle. Touring bike, mountain bike, either one is
> fine. Maybe a National Park? (Right now, I'm leaning towards the Everglades or Big Bend N.P. in
> Texas) It's winter so it's gotta be down south. (It's too cold for the Grand Canyon, right?)

Big bend NP sounds nice if you're not into winter sports, though it can get cold there if you happen
to hit it wrong. For a winter trip, skiing would be my personal choice.

Free ticket to "anywhere?" Anywhere's a pretty big place. In the winter, if "anywhere" might include
Hawaii, why not spend the week on Kaui (and ride up Waimea Canyon)? Or something in the Carribean.

news:[email protected]...

Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles wrote:

> Free ticket to "anywhere?" Anywhere's a pretty big place. In the winter, if "anywhere" might
> include Hawaii, why not spend the week on Kaui (and ride up Waimea Canyon)? Or something in the
> Carribean.

I'd probably do Hawaii too -- Maui -- and ride up Haleakala.

If the ticket is really to *anywhere,* I'd probably go to New Zealand or Australia.

Matt O.

>If the ticket is really to *anywhere,* I'd probably go to New Zealand or Australia.

Italy.

Chris Neary [email protected]

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the
elements I loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

Chris Neary wrote:

>> If the ticket is really to *anywhere,* I'd probably go to New Zealand or Australia.
>
> Italy.

Yeah, but it's winter there right now.

Matt O.

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
> Free ticket to "anywhere?" Anywhere's a pretty big place. In the winter, if "anywhere" might
> include Hawaii, why not spend the week on Kaui (and
ride
> up Waimea Canyon)? Or something in the Carribean.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles www.ChainReaction.com

Mike:

I agree. Hawai'i is a pretty wonderful place. Then we spent our 20th wedding anniversary in Tahiti
(Bora-Bora, specifically).

The best part was when my wife called me a few months later and told me that she won free tickets
back to Tahiti (KQED bingo card in the mail).

Both trips were wonderful and all the requested activities (cycling, touring, hiking,
snorkeling/swimming) were available.

- Skip

I shouldn't be including JPGs, but they are small. Here's a bicycling group on Tahiti (the main
island) at a water stop. And a photo of me (on Moorea) wearing a Primavera Century t-shirt next to a
"no bicycling" sign that didn't come out very well in the photo (even with full resolution). They
guy (on the sign) is really sweating, however.

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 07:08:04 GMT, "Skip" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Free ticket to "anywhere?" Anywhere's a pretty big place. In the winter, if "anywhere" might
>> include Hawaii, why not spend the week on Kaui (and
>ride
>> up Waimea Canyon)? Or something in the Carribean.
>>
>> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles www.ChainReaction.com
>
>Mike:
>
>I agree. Hawai'i is a pretty wonderful place. Then we spent our 20th wedding anniversary in Tahiti
>(Bora-Bora, specifically).
>
>The best part was when my wife called me a few months later and told me that she won free tickets
>back to Tahiti (KQED bingo card in the mail).
>
>Both trips were wonderful and all the requested activities (cycling, touring, hiking,
>snorkeling/swimming) were available.
>
> - Skip
>
>I shouldn't be including JPGs, but they are small. Here's a bicycling group on Tahiti (the main
>island) at a water stop. And a photo of me (on Moorea) wearing a Primavera Century t-shirt next to
>a "no bicycling" sign that didn't come out very well in the photo (even with full resolution). They
>guy (on the sign) is really sweating, however.

Wow, why the no Biking sign?

Didja drink the water? <g>

-B

[email protected] (denton fabrics) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I dont know if this is the proper place to ask this but I've got a week off and a free plane
> ticket to anywhere and I'm looking for some suggestions for a destination.
>
> I'd like a place where I can hike, bike and/or paddle. Touring bike, mountain bike, either one is
> fine. Maybe a National Park? (Right now, I'm leaning towards the Everglades or Big Bend N.P. in
> Texas) It's winter so it's gotta be down south. (It's too cold for the Grand Canyon, right?)
>
> Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a place to go.
>

> Thanks, Denton Fabrics

I just got back from Costa Rica. Everything is green and beautiful as the dry season (summer) just
started. I would recommend staying in the Central Valley and riding/hiking in the highlands. Then,
you could head to the beach (about a 1 hour drive) for some kayaking. Or, you could do rapids on one
of the rivers in the valley....feel free to email me off list for specific suggestions.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (denton fabrics) writes:
> I dont know if this is the proper place to ask this but I've got a week off and a free plane
> ticket to anywhere and I'm looking for some suggestions for a destination.
>
> I'd like a place where I can hike, bike and/or paddle. Touring bike, mountain bike, either one is
> fine. Maybe a National Park? (Right now, I'm leaning towards the Everglades or Big Bend N.P. in
> Texas) It's winter so it's gotta be down south. (It's too cold for the Grand Canyon, right?)
>
> Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a place to go.

I'd be tempted to check out New Mexico, and dig some of the Native arts & crafts -- especially
the weaving.

But I'm just a Canadian, and the furthest stateside I've been is Seattle. Still, I have this
intuitive feeling that NM could be a pretty good adventure. Maybe even a pilgrimage of sorts. My
gut tells me Albequrque is just another city, but traveling to/from/between Santa Fe and Taos
might be fun.

OTOH, I could very well be wrong.

Anyway, it would be lovely to get up close to some of that wonderful Native woolcraft.

I bet there's all kinds of rock hound/lapidary possibilities there, too.

cheers, Tom