Vacnouver, BC Fall / Winter clothing gear help

John Macmillan

Guest
Ok, I could use a bit of good advice here. Summer is great for cycling
here in the Vancouver, BC area but Fall is coming and ultimately
Winter. I plan to keep cycling through all the seasons wet or dry and I
need some advice on what specific Fall weather Rain gear I should be
considering.

Must be a bunch of folks on this group that have already tried more
than one product before finding the right answer for themselves. Those
who live around here know how rainy it can be once summer is done.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

"John Macmillan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok, I could use a bit of good advice here. Summer is great for cycling
> here in the Vancouver, BC area but Fall is coming and ultimately
> Winter. I plan to keep cycling through all the seasons wet or dry and I
> need some advice on what specific Fall weather Rain gear I should be
> considering.
>
> Must be a bunch of folks on this group that have already tried more
> than one product before finding the right answer for themselves. Those
> who live around here know how rainy it can be once summer is done.
>
> Any guidance would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks

I am about 90 miles south of Vancouver and ride throughout the year. I have
poor circulation in my feet so they are the biggest problem in the cold/wet
weather but I have had great luck with the Lake winter mountain shoes. I
also have lots of different types of cold weather gear. Depending on the
cold/wet ratio I put on different layers. My favorite top is a shell that
is really wind/water resistant on the front and shoulders but really vented
on the back. On the bottom I switch between full-length warm bibs and rain
pants. I like the bibs the best but some times only the rain pants are
weather resistant enough.

Good, full-length fenders are also important. Like most riders around here
I have added extensions to the fenders to keep the wet off of my feet and
the riders behind me.

"John Macmillan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok, I could use a bit of good advice here. Summer is great for cycling
> here in the Vancouver, BC area but Fall is coming and ultimately
> Winter. I plan to keep cycling through all the seasons wet or dry and I
> need some advice on what specific Fall weather Rain gear I should be
> considering.

You could also post to bc.cycling.

I don't live in Vancouver, but in the Seattle area, and the climate's the
same. Wet does not mean uncomfortable; you don't have to stay perfectly dry.

If money's an issue, I recommend designating some old 100% sweaters in your
wardrobe as cycling sweaters. If you don't have any that are ratty enough,
buy a couple of them from the second-hand store. If you can get one with a
v-neck, or a button or zippered closure, even better. You can pull them over
your helmet without having to take off the helmet, and adjust how warm they
make you with the buttons or zippers. Under that cycling sweater, you want
quick-dry fabrics. Your existing ss jerseys will work initially; getting a
few long sleeved underlayers would be helpful. I found turtlenecks that are
probably made for skiing to work well. Over the sweater you'll want the
option of a rain jacket. Ideally the jacket should have zippered underarms
and be relatively water resistant. Sugoi, a Canadian brand that you should
be able to find in your neck of the woods, has some good ones in this
category. A fleece vest for super cold days and you're set.

A couple pairs of thermal tights are pricey, but very nice to have. You can
also find these for runners; the cycling-specific ones tend to cost more.
You can wear these over your existing shorts. If it didn't rain, you can
re-wear without having to wash, but they can get pretty muddy in wet
weather. I don't think rain pants are necessary.

You'll also need several pairs of wool socks. I have one pair of long,
knee-length cross-country ski socks for the coldest days. Shorter wool socks
are fine most of the year. Fenders will help keep your feet dry. For those
really wet days (typically there's at least one in the second half of
November when it rains several inches), you can buy neoprene booties; these
can keep your feet warm when it's super cold, too. Not 100% necessary, IMO.

Long finger gloves. If you're commuting, you'll want them with reflective
materials so your hand turn signals are visible when it's dark.

For really cold days, you could get a headband or little fleece cap to wear
under your helmet. My husband, who has thinning hair and a buzz cut, seems
to need these sorts of things more than me, with a huge fluffy hairdo.

I'm probably missing something...anyone want to add something or contend an
item on my list?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

"John Macmillan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok, I could use a bit of good advice here. Summer is great for cycling
> here in the Vancouver, BC area but Fall is coming and ultimately
> Winter. I plan to keep cycling through all the seasons wet or dry and I
> need some advice on what specific Fall weather Rain gear I should be
> considering.
>
> Must be a bunch of folks on this group that have already tried more
> than one product before finding the right answer for themselves. Those
> who live around here know how rainy it can be once summer is done.
>
> Any guidance would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks

i find gore tex jacket, pants and oversocks are best (shoe covers get nasty
and are a pain). if you shop wisely you can get all for <$150. watch out for
nylon "water repellant" jackets & pants. use a material that is water-proof
and not just a coating. the gore tex will breathe so you're not all wet from
your own sweat that gets cold when you stop. remember to wear synthetics
under the jacket & pants to wick sweat away from skin. avoid cotton like
the flu! i wear the oversocks ("rocky") 9 months, or at least keep them
stuffed in my pack. not much else needed because the temps around here are
mild. i am comfortable all year, in fact more comfortable in winter than in
the summer heat. enjoy!

greggery peccary wrote:
> "John Macmillan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Ok, I could use a bit of good advice here. Summer is great for cycling
>> here in the Vancouver, BC area but Fall is coming and ultimately
>> Winter. I plan to keep cycling through all the seasons wet or dry and I
>> need some advice on what specific Fall weather Rain gear I should be
>> considering.
>>
>> Must be a bunch of folks on this group that have already tried more
>> than one product before finding the right answer for themselves. Those
>> who live around here know how rainy it can be once summer is done.
>>
>> Any guidance would be much appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> i find gore tex jacket, pants and oversocks are best (shoe covers get nasty
> and are a pain). if you shop wisely you can get all for <$150. watch out for
> nylon "water repellant" jackets & pants. use a material that is water-proof
> and not just a coating. the gore tex will breathe so you're not all wet from
> your own sweat that gets cold when you stop. remember to wear synthetics
> under the jacket & pants to wick sweat away from skin. avoid cotton like
> the flu! i wear the oversocks ("rocky") 9 months, or at least keep them
> stuffed in my pack. not much else needed because the temps around here are
> mild. i am comfortable all year, in fact more comfortable in winter than in
> the summer heat. enjoy!

I'm in the market for a very light Gore-tex shell, but at their prices
I'd like to get some opinions about shells they've tried before I buy.
Care to elaborate on those you've tried?

"Collin O'Neill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> greggery peccary wrote:
> > "John Macmillan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Ok, I could use a bit of good advice here. Summer is great for cycling
> >> here in the Vancouver, BC area but Fall is coming and ultimately
> >> Winter. I plan to keep cycling through all the seasons wet or dry and I
> >> need some advice on what specific Fall weather Rain gear I should be
> >> considering.
> >>
> >> Must be a bunch of folks on this group that have already tried more
> >> than one product before finding the right answer for themselves. Those
> >> who live around here know how rainy it can be once summer is done.
> >>
> >> Any guidance would be much appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>

> > i find gore tex jacket, pants and oversocks are best (shoe covers get

nasty
> > and are a pain). if you shop wisely you can get all for <$150. watch out

for
> > nylon "water repellant" jackets & pants. use a material that is

water-proof
> > and not just a coating. the gore tex will breathe so you're not all wet

from
> > your own sweat that gets cold when you stop. remember to wear synthetics
> > under the jacket & pants to wick sweat away from skin. avoid cotton

like
> > the flu! i wear the oversocks ("rocky") 9 months, or at least keep them
> > stuffed in my pack. not much else needed because the temps around here

are
> > mild. i am comfortable all year, in fact more comfortable in winter than

in
> > the summer heat. enjoy!
> >

> I'm in the market for a very light Gore-tex shell, but at their prices
> I'd like to get some opinions about shells they've tried before I buy.
> Care to elaborate on those you've tried?

fyi i was referring to the material gore-tex and other patented materials
that are waterproof and breathable. i tried the "goretex" brand ones at
supergo but didnt like the fit. supergo does have a lot of options though
depending on your shape & torso length. IMO REI doesnt have a good fitting &
light waterproof one either.
i have a light one from performance that is 14 years old & fits nicely over
t-shirt & jersey underneath but it's finally starting to leak in the back. i
also used one of those cheap paper-thin 3-m thingys and it was great but
tore up after one season. now i have one from hind that i found at a
dime-store in northampton mass for $10 cos the zipper was broken. i fixed
the zipper in 10 minutes but havent needed to use it yet. i also suggest if
you are a thrift store scourer like me, look in the jackets. sometimes you
can find something nice buried in the rubble. last year i found a nice
marmot. too bulky for cycling but good for walking in the rain. another
great place to look, especially if you are an odd size, is ebay.

In article <[email protected]>,
Collin O'Neill <[email protected]> wrote:

> greggery peccary wrote:
> > "John Macmillan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Ok, I could use a bit of good advice here. Summer is great for cycling
> >> here in the Vancouver, BC area but Fall is coming and ultimately
> >> Winter. I plan to keep cycling through all the seasons wet or dry and I
> >> need some advice on what specific Fall weather Rain gear I should be
> >> considering.
> >>
> >> Must be a bunch of folks on this group that have already tried more
> >> than one product before finding the right answer for themselves. Those
> >> who live around here know how rainy it can be once summer is done.
> >>
> >> Any guidance would be much appreciated.

> > i find gore tex jacket, pants and oversocks are best (shoe covers get nasty
> > and are a pain). if you shop wisely you can get all for <$150. watch out for
> > nylon "water repellant" jackets & pants. use a material that is water-proof
> > and not just a coating. the gore tex will breathe so you're not all wet from
> > your own sweat that gets cold when you stop. remember to wear synthetics
> > under the jacket & pants to wick sweat away from skin. avoid cotton like
> > the flu! i wear the oversocks ("rocky") 9 months, or at least keep them
> > stuffed in my pack. not much else needed because the temps around here are
> > mild. i am comfortable all year, in fact more comfortable in winter than in
> > the summer heat. enjoy!
> >

> I'm in the market for a very light Gore-tex shell, but at their prices
> I'd like to get some opinions about shells they've tried before I buy.
> Care to elaborate on those you've tried?

Recently bought a Windstopper(R) Berghaus jacket for cycling (Another
Gore product). It's been great as not only did it stop the wind but it
is also water resistant. So for light rains, it's perfect. If the rain
gets heavy, then I'll quickly put on a waterproof ski shell and just get
off the road and go in-door. For me, it's a safety issue.
--

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:55:24 -0500, Collin O'Neill
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm in the market for a very light Gore-tex shell, but at their prices
>I'd like to get some opinions about shells they've tried before I buy.
>Care to elaborate on those you've tried?

I'm not a fan of Gore-Tex. I won't buy it again.

I bought Sugoi's top-of-the-line rain gear about 4 years ago and have
been delighted with its performance.

I got the jacket for half its retail price at the Sports Junkies. It
was a floor sample just back from the Interbike show in Las Vegas.

I bought the matching trousers/tights at an LBS in Burnaby on Boxing
Day. Also about half price.

Still, I ended up spending about $270 CAD.

Sugoi makes good stuff in Vancouver that works for Vancouver's
climate.

You might also try that place on E. Hastings at Clark Drv. It's the
factory and outlet store of another local manufacturer that produces
outdoor gear. They make cycling rain capes, bags, rain gear, back
packs, etc. They might even work with Gore-Tex. Their stuff is cheap
but adequate and remarkably inexpensive. I don't think they're open
weekends or evenings.
--
zk

In article <[email protected]>,
Zoot Katz <[email protected]> writes:

> You might also try that place on E. Hastings at Clark Drv. It's the
> factory and outlet store of another local manufacturer that produces
> outdoor gear. They make cycling rain capes, bags, rain gear, back
> packs, etc. They might even work with Gore-Tex. Their stuff is cheap
> but adequate and remarkably inexpensive. I don't think they're open
> weekends or evenings.

That would be Super Sport Mfg. Ltd.
Last time I looked, they weren't there anymore. I /did/ find
this new(?) address on-line:
430 Railway Street
Vancouver, British Columbia, V6A 1B1, Canada
(http://tinyurl.com/q58gk)
(in full: http://minimidimaxi.com/Canadian_fashion/Manufacturers/Apparel_Category/Outer_Wear/Detailed/449.html)

They also seem to have some kind of premises on Commercial Street,
just north of E 22nd Ave.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Just wanted to say thanks to all who took the time to reply and offer
their suggestions. Much appreciated.

John Macmillan wrote:
> Just wanted to say thanks to all who took the time to reply and offer
> their suggestions. Much appreciated.

Hello John:

As a fellow Vancoverite commuter let me tell you ~ the best part of the
year is still ahead!

For your hands, try the MEC kayaking gloves. They make a cheap $10 set
of 8mm neoprene gloves ~ very cozy on a miserable (I mean wonderful)
December morning.

Regards,
Gord.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Kryten" <[email protected]> writes:
> John Macmillan wrote:
>> Just wanted to say thanks to all who took the time to reply and offer
>> their suggestions. Much appreciated.

> Hello John:
>
> As a fellow Vancoverite commuter let me tell you ~ the best part of the
> year is still ahead!
>
> For your hands, try the MEC kayaking gloves. They make a cheap $10 set
> of 8mm neoprene gloves ~ very cozy on a miserable (I mean wonderful)
> December morning.

Last year I bought a pair of Thinsulate[tm] mittens out of a drugstore
bargain bin.

The parts that covers the fingers are movable flaps, kind of like the
trigger fingers on shooting gloves. They fit nicely over my MEC
full-fingered cycling gloves (which are lithe, but not terribly
warm;) thus configured they provide just enough extra warmth on
the coldest Vancouver days/nights. If I need a little finger-al
dexterity I can just pull the flap back, revealing my
still-gloved fingers.

But hey -- it's September already. Gotta get the most enjoyment
we can out of what's left of fingerless glove/gloveless hands
season. Speaking of gloveless hands, I must acquire some new
aftermarket handgrips. I'm getting tired of having "OCRON"
embossed into my palms.

cheers,
Tom