"vacuum" flasks

Brian

Guest
I don't suppose any of you guys could recommend a decent brand of "vacuum" flask?

My 5 month old "Aztec" 1 litre stainless steel flask is now no longer keeping things hot - when I
pour in a hot drink, the outside wall of the flask gets hot a half hour later :-(

Doesn't seem right to me... I did get a replacement stopper free of charge from the manufacturer as
the rubber o-ring had perished, but even with the new stopper the outer wall is still getting hot.

--
Brian

"Brian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> I don't suppose any of you guys could recommend a decent brand of "vacuum" flask?
>
> My 5 month old "Aztec" 1 litre stainless steel flask is now no longer keeping things hot - when I
> pour in a hot drink, the outside wall of the flask gets hot a half hour later :-(
>
> Doesn't seem right to me... I did get a replacement stopper free of charge from the
> manufacturer as the rubber o-ring had perished, but even with the new stopper the outer wall is
> still getting hot.
>
> --
> Brian
It is broken. Take it back to the shop and get your money back. Graham

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:03:10 +0000, Graham Bowers wrote:

>> Doesn't seem right to me... I did get a replacement stopper free of charge from the
>> manufacturer as the rubber o-ring had perished, but even with the new stopper the outer wall is
>> still getting hot.
>>
>> --
>> Brian
> It is broken. Take it back to the shop and get your money back. Graham

I might get in touch with the makers of the flask, and see if they will exchange for a new one,
after all it's supposed to have a 10 year warranty. (They did replace the stopper free of charge, so
hopefully they should replace the flask as it's faulty)

--
Brian

"Brian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:03:10 +0000, Graham Bowers wrote:
>

> >> Doesn't seem right to me... I did get a replacement stopper free of charge from the
> >> manufacturer as the rubber o-ring had perished, but
even
> >> with the new stopper the outer wall is still getting hot.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Brian
> > It is broken. Take it back to the shop and get your money back. Graham
>
> I might get in touch with the makers of the flask, and see if they will exchange for a new one,
> after all it's supposed to have a 10 year warranty. (They did replace the stopper free of charge,
> so hopefully they should replace the flask as it's faulty)
>
> --
> Brian

I remain to be convinced that stainless steel flasks keep their contents hot as well as old
fashioned "Thermos" flasks. Tried it, but back to the old fashioned method for me. (Yes - I know all
about priming, insulating etc etc etc). Another triumph of gadgetry over function.

druidh

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:49:53 GMT, druidh wrote:

>I remain to be convinced that stainless steel flasks keep their contents hot as well as old
>fashioned "Thermos" flasks. Tried it, but back to the old fashioned method for me. (Yes - I know
>all about priming, insulating etc etc etc). Another triumph of gadgetry over function.

I rather like tea without glass shards in it. The stainless steel unbreakable flasks might not be as
efficient as the silvered glass ones but they don't break if you or your sac take a tumble. Now
leaving a thermos in the car to drink after a walk is a mighty good idea, especially if you are
parked miles from anywhere.

In article <BbN%[email protected]>, druidh
<[email protected]> writes
>I remain to be convinced that stainless steel flasks keep their contents hot as well as old
>fashioned "Thermos" flasks. Tried it, but back to the old fashioned method for me. (Yes - I know
>all about priming, insulating etc etc etc). Another triumph of gadgetry over function.

One of the mags did a review of a whole bunch of stainless flasks and at least one
traditional glass.

IIRC the best stainless were as good as the glass. The worst stainless were very poor.

--

http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I remain to be convinced that stainless steel flasks keep their contents hot as well as old
>fashioned "Thermos" flasks. Tried it, but back to the old fashioned method for me. (Yes - I know
>all about priming, insulating etc etc etc). Another triumph of gadgetry over function.

Gadgetry? Making a flask out of something that doesn't break if you drop it? Hardly. Metal flasks
keep the liquid hot all day - what more do you want?

druidh <[email protected]> wrote

>I remain to be convinced that stainless steel flasks keep their contents hot as well as old
>fashioned "Thermos" flasks. Tried it, but back to the old fashioned method for me. (Yes - I know
>all about priming, insulating etc etc etc). Another triumph of gadgetry over function.

I am convinced they are very poor compared with one I must have had for over 20 years! I just looked
and it is a genuine Thermos - made in England.

The SS one was a present from my daughter a few years ago, hasn't been used much, barely keeps
it warm for a day's walk, and even with the stopper screwed hard in if I shake the flask it
leaks, probably via the patent pourer, which enables you to pour with the stopper unscrewed part
way. Useless!
--
Gordon

news:[email protected]...
> In article <BbN%[email protected]>, druidh
> <[email protected]> writes
> >I remain to be convinced that stainless steel flasks keep their contents
hot
> >as well as old fashioned "Thermos" flasks. Tried it, but back to the old fashioned method for me.
> >(Yes - I know all about priming, insulating etc
etc
> >etc). Another triumph of gadgetry over function.
> >

> One of the mags did a review of a whole bunch of stainless flasks and at least one
> traditional glass.
>
> IIRC the best stainless were as good as the glass. The worst stainless were very poor.
>
> --
>

> http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

Any chance of laocting the article? Very interested to see what was as good as glass.

druidh

"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:49:53 GMT, druidh wrote:
>
> >I remain to be convinced that stainless steel flasks keep their contents
hot
> >as well as old fashioned "Thermos" flasks. Tried it, but back to the old fashioned method for me.
> >(Yes - I know all about priming, insulating etc
etc
> >etc). Another triumph of gadgetry over function.
>
> I rather like tea without glass shards in it. The stainless steel unbreakable flasks might not be
> as efficient as the silvered glass ones but they don't break if you or your sac take a tumble. Now
> leaving a thermos in the car to drink after a walk is a mighty good idea, especially if you are
> parked miles from anywhere.
> --
> Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

Not being in the habit if falling over (touch wood), I've never actually broken a glass flask. I'd
imagine one would have to be particularly unlucky to fall in just such a manner as to produce such a
shock (and I'd be more worried about my camera). But I could be convinced if I could find a
stainless one which worked.

druidh

"Simon Caldwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:49:53 GMT, "druidh" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >I remain to be convinced that stainless steel flasks keep their contents
hot
> >as well as old fashioned "Thermos" flasks. Tried it, but back to the old fashioned method for me.
> >(Yes - I know all about priming, insulating etc
etc
> >etc). Another triumph of gadgetry over function.
> >

> Gadgetry? Making a flask out of something that doesn't break if you drop it? Hardly. Metal flasks
> keep the liquid hot all day - what more do you want?

Well - I'd like a flask that actually DID keep the liquid hot all day. No matter whose SS flask
I've compared against, and whatever preparatory methods are used, my drinks are always hotter.
Admittedly this is more of an issue in the depths of winter, but then I never have a hot drink in
summer anyway.

and how many times have you dropped a flask?

druidh

druidh <[email protected]> wrote

>"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:49:53 GMT, druidh wrote:
>>
>> >I remain to be convinced that stainless steel flasks keep their contents
>hot
>> >as well as old fashioned "Thermos" flasks. Tried it, but back to the old fashioned method for
>> >me. (Yes - I know all about priming, insulating etc
>etc
>> >etc). Another triumph of gadgetry over function.
>>
>> I rather like tea without glass shards in it. The stainless steel unbreakable flasks might not be
>> as efficient as the silvered glass ones but they don't break if you or your sac take a tumble.
>> Now leaving a thermos in the car to drink after a walk is a mighty good idea, especially if you
>> are parked miles from anywhere.
>> --
>> Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"
>
>Not being in the habit if falling over (touch wood), I've never actually broken a glass flask. I'd
>imagine one would have to be particularly unlucky to fall in just such a manner as to produce such
>a shock (and I'd be more worried about my camera). But I could be convinced if I could find a
>stainless one which worked.

I broke one in 30 years walking. On a cobbled slippery path my legs shot from under me and I sat
down painfully. The flask was at the bottom of the sack and took the same blow.

Since then I have always had some kind of padding under the flask, when I carry one.
--
Gordon

druidh <[email protected]> wrote

>> IIRC the best stainless were as good as the glass. The worst stainless were very poor.
>>

>> http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/
>
>Any chance of laocting the article? Very interested to see what was as good as glass.

...and how much it costs. ;-)
--
Gordon

[email protected] said...
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:49:53 GMT, "druidh" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >I remain to be convinced that stainless steel flasks keep their contents hot as well as old
> >fashioned "Thermos" flasks. Tried it, but back to the old fashioned method for me. (Yes - I know
> >all about priming, insulating etc etc etc). Another triumph of gadgetry over function.
> >

> Gadgetry? Making a flask out of something that doesn't break if you drop it? Hardly. Metal flasks
> keep the liquid hot all day - what more do you want?

Quite. I've never had any problems with mine. I've got two stainless steel flasks, and they're both
brilliant. Much better than the lottery with the glass getting in the water.
--
Fran If you need my email address please ask.

wrote:

>"Brian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:p[email protected]...

>even

>> > It is broken. Take it back to the shop and get your money back. Graham
>>
>> I might get in touch with the makers of the flask, and see if they will exchange for a new one,
>> after all it's supposed to have a 10 year warranty. (They did replace the stopper free of charge,
>> so hopefully they should replace the flask as it's faulty)
>>
>> --
>> Brian
>>
>I remain to be convinced that stainless steel flasks keep their contents hot as well as old
>fashioned "Thermos" flasks.

Stainless flasks came first by the way. Then some bright spark in Scotland called Dewar invented a
glass strong enough to hold a vacuum without shattering....

--
79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot. The other 42% are made up later on. In Warwick -
looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:58:22 +0000, Gordon <[email protected]>
wrote:

>druidh <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>>I remain to be convinced that stainless steel flasks keep their contents hot as well as old
>>fashioned "Thermos" flasks. Tried it, but back to the old fashioned method for me. (Yes - I know
>>all about priming, insulating etc etc etc). Another triumph of gadgetry over function.
>>
>I am convinced they are very poor compared with one I must have had for over 20 years! I just
>looked and it is a genuine Thermos - made in England.
>
>The SS one was a present from my daughter a few years ago, hasn't been used much, barely keeps
>it warm for a day's walk, and even with the stopper screwed hard in if I shake the flask it
>leaks, probably via the patent pourer, which enables you to pour with the stopper unscrewed part
>way. Useless!

Aladdin do some of the best stainless flasks. My 1 litre one is outperformed by a 1 litre Thermos by
about 2C in the first four hours which isn't that bad.

My smaller noname stainless 0.5 litre fares worse although that's probably due to it being smaller -
6C in four hours (below the Thermos)

I once took the inner of a three litre Thermos and stuck a base plate and the innards of a
Mullard 360 tetrode inside - took my father ages to realise that it wasn't actually some form of
exotic RF tube!

--
79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot. The other 42% are made up later on. In Warwick -
looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:09:25 +0000, Phil Cook
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Now leaving a thermos in the car to drink after a walk is a mighty good idea, especially if you
> are parked miles from anywhere.

Better still is a stove and kettle and tea and coffee and... various other goodies waiting for
you when you get back. Takes 5 mins to brew up, and it's much nicer than tea that's been in a
flask all day.

--

Paul

My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

http://paulrooney.netfirms.com

The message <i6R%[email protected]>
from "druidh" <[email protected]> contains these words:

> Not being in the habit if falling over (touch wood), I've never actually broken a glass flask.
> I'd imagine one would have to be particularly unlucky to fall in just such a manner as to produce
> such a shock

I have broken a flask (the same one) twice and in neither case was it as the result of falling or
dropping. The first time was on a Scottish summit one Easter back in the 70s when I put my rucksack
down on what I thought was soft snow. Since then I haven't carried a Thermos on the hill. The second
only a winter or 2 ago when one of the several bags I was carrying gave the stone jamb of the garage
doorway a glancing blow. This time the flask went straight into the bin. Sheer carelessness in both
cases but in neither was much force required, just an unfortunate proximity between a slow moving
flask and hard stone.

--

Roger

>Well - I'd like a flask that actually DID keep the liquid hot all day. No matter whose SS flask
>I've compared against, and whatever preparatory methods are used, my drinks are always hotter.
>Admittedly this is more of an issue in the depths of winter, but then I never have a hot drink in
>summer anyway.

Mine's an Aladdin Atlas and I'd recommend it to anyone.

>and how many times have you dropped a flask?

Not sure, but judging by the number of dents, quite a few!

Interested in this thread. I have a SS flask but it leaks. It is one of those ones where you press
in a button then pour. Useless. Can anyone suggest a 0.75 litre SS flask which does not leak,
preferably one with no fancy press button/pour type thingies. I do not use a thermos, because I have
broken a couple, mind you that was in my mountaineering rather than walking days.

--
Len Trim [email protected]