VaE Stage 17: Redemption

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Sonarrat, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    David Millar steals a stage intended for the sprinters, who instead wind up racing for 6th. It had
    nothing to do with the peloton's attitude towards the amount of time he had lost - after walking
    away from climbers of the caliber of Sevilla and Rasmussen, he descended so beautifully, and was so
    powerful once the road leveled out, that if he had been 2nd by 20 seconds, he probably would have
    taken the golden jersey. I'm reminded of the performance that won the Giro d'Italia for Paolo
    Salvoldelli last year.

    On another note, Dario Frigo is a broken man. He finished 157th of the 163 riders, 14.11 back, and
    fell out of the top 20 on GC.

    The GC is looking quite unstable. Galdeano and Heras, Beltran and Valverde, and Perez and Unai Osa
    are all in the top 10 and each separated by less than 10 seconds. And, of course, anything could
    happen on I can't wait for Friday's stage up to the Navacerrada.

    -Sonarrat.

    Tags:

  2. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > David Millar steals a stage intended for the sprinters, who instead wind
    up
    > racing for 6th. It had nothing to do with the peloton's attitude towards
    the
    > amount of time he had lost - after walking away from climbers of the
    caliber of
    > Sevilla and Rasmussen, he descended so beautifully, and was so powerful
    once the
    > road leveled out, that if he had been 2nd by 20 seconds, he probably would
    have
    > taken the golden jersey. I'm reminded of the performance that won the
    Giro
    > d'Italia for Paolo Salvoldelli last year.
    >
    > On another note, Dario Frigo is a broken man. He finished 157th of the
    163
    > riders, 14.11 back, and fell out of the top 20 on GC.
    >
    > The GC is looking quite unstable. Galdeano and Heras, Beltran and
    Valverde, and
    > Perez and Unai Osa are all in the top 10 and each separated by less than
    10
    > seconds. And, of course, anything could happen on I can't wait for
    Friday's
    > stage up to the Navacerrada.
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

    I am happy for David too, but that was a little over the top man. If I was in second place by 20
    seconds, I would have had a good shot at the leader's jersey too.

  3. Fred Marx

    Fred Marx Guest

    Nick Burns wrote:

    > I am happy for David too, but that was a little over the top man. If I was in second place by 20
    > seconds, I would have had a good shot at the leader's jersey too.

    if he'd only been 20sec back they would have never let him go.

  4. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Fred Marx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Nick Burns wrote:
    >

    > > I am happy for David too, but that was a little over the top man. If I
    was
    > > in second place by 20 seconds, I would have had a good shot at the
    leader's
    > > jersey too.
    > >

    > if he'd only been 20sec back they would have never let him go.

    No shit.

  5. Fred Marx

    Fred Marx Guest

    Nick Burns wrote:
    > "Fred Marx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>Nick Burns wrote:
    >>

    >>>I am happy for David too, but that was a little over the top man. If I
    >
    > was
    >
    >>>in second place by 20 seconds, I would have had a good shot at the
    >
    > leader's
    >
    >>>jersey too.
    >>>

    >>if he'd only been 20sec back they would have never let him go.
    >>

    > No shit.

    no really it's true... ;\

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > David Millar steals a stage intended for the sprinters, who instead wind up racing for 6th. It had
    > nothing to do with the peloton's attitude towards the amount of time he had lost - after walking
    > away from climbers of the caliber of Sevilla and Rasmussen, he descended so beautifully, and was
    > so powerful once the road leveled out, that if he had been 2nd by 20 seconds, he probably would
    > have taken the golden jersey. I'm reminded of the performance that won the Giro d'Italia for Paolo
    > Salvoldelli last year.
    >
    > On another note, Dario Frigo is a broken man. He finished 157th of the 163 riders, 14.11 back, and
    > fell out of the top 20 on GC.
    >
    > The GC is looking quite unstable. Galdeano and Heras, Beltran and Valverde, and Perez and Unai Osa
    > are all in the top 10 and each separated by less than 10 seconds. And, of course, anything could
    > happen on I can't wait for Friday's stage up to the Navacerrada.

    The amazing thing is that Nozal's incredible dark-horse run has already gone from jaw-dropping to
    fait accompli. Here we're talking about how Igor and Robert and Robbie are fighting for podium
    spots, but none of them are likely to win, because Nozal has a lock barring incredible misfortune!

  7. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    "Fred Marx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Nick Burns wrote:
    >
    > > I am happy for David too, but that was a little over the top man. If I was in second place by 20
    > > seconds, I would have had a good shot at the leader's jersey too.
    >
    > if he'd only been 20sec back they would have never let him go.

    There were three people in the top 15 in the break, and they were just barely caught. Millar was 41
    seconds in the clear. I wouldn't have said that if I wasn't convinced - because there wasn't enough
    time after the time to pull him back, given how powerful he was, and also because Millar was
    flirting with 70 kph. (I'm also assuming, since it's my theory, that Nozal would simply ride
    defensively and not risk blowing to pieces chasing him.)

    -Sonarrat.