Vale Carl Vath

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tim Zlogar, Jun 18, 2003.

  1. Tim Zlogar

    Tim Zlogar Guest

    Hello everyone, Though most of you won't know him it is with a heavy heart that I tell of the
    passing of my good friend Carl Vath. Carl, who would have turned 55 this Halloween, lost his battle
    with leukemia and passed on at 4:31 this morning. Carl was a long-time racing and riding enthusiast
    and those of you in the eastern Pennsylvania area may know him as a USA Cycling official. If you
    don't recognize the name feel free to email me and I'll send a pic and maybe you can put a face with
    that name. It was Carl who more often than not served as coach, chauffeur, soigneur and mechanic for
    myself and his son Aaron when we were junior racers. When he was first diagnosed with the leukemia I
    joked with him that I fully expected him to recover and win the Tour the way Lance had. He laughed
    and took it in his stride. He fought a valiant fight against the disease but in the end it was just
    too much for him. Carl was a great friend, a great person and will be sorely missed. Fortunately for
    him now he can ride with those who have gone before us, Anquetil, Coppi, Casartelli, Kivilev, Nicole
    Reinhart to name but a few but unfortunately for us we can no longer ride with him though his spirt
    will be with us always. Thank you all, Goodbye Carl, Tim

    Tags:

  2. Steve Litvin

    Steve Litvin Guest

    "Tim Zlogar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello everyone, Though most of you won't know him it is with a heavy heart that I tell of the
    > passing of my good friend Carl Vath. Carl, who would have turned 55 this Halloween, lost his
    > battle with leukemia and passed on at 4:31 this morning.

    I was just checking RBR before shutting down the computer for the when I saw Tim's posting on Carl
    Vaths passing.......as he mentioned most of you don't know him personally but I'm guessing you know
    someone like him. Carl (or
    Mr. Vath as I insisted on calling him even though I'm 30+ years old) was one of those "good guys" in
    cycling who went out of their way to help the sport, be it mentoring his son....encouraging a
    new rider....or giving his time as his official. It largely because of Carl and others I met at
    the Berks County Bicycle Club and the Penn State Cycling team when I first got "back on a bike"
    in my junior year at PSU that I love the sport of cycling as much as I do today. You couldn't
    help but love your time on or around a bike when Carl was along...... he had the greatest "this
    hurts but I'm loving it!" look. I always looked forward to running into him at TTown or on a
    visit home to my fathers in Reading, Pa.....

    as Tim said....he will be missed

    Steve