Valve rubber

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 23:51:20 -0000, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Anyway, what if an individual had experienced God, or the energy that is God ?...what if the
>individual no longer required faith as they had first hand, personal experience of the creator
>energy, knew and understood the reason for existence, reality (and all that) ?

I do know exactly what you mean, having followed Saul of Tarsus along that path some years ago. This
is not the "proof that denies faith," though, as there is no externally verifiable evidence that
such an experience has ever taken place. So in my view it is still a matter of faith: our faith that
this really happened and was not some kind of mass hypnosis effect. But IANAT[1].

[1] I am not a theologian :)

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>The difference is artificial. Physics for example relies on several beliefs. One is that
>mathematics works, another is that intrinsically the most elegant or simple model is the correct
>one (Occam's Razor). To quote Richard Feynman "It is possible to know when you are right way ahead
>of checking all the consequences. You can recognize truth by its beauty and simplicity.". If that
>is not a belief system then I don't know what is.

This is not really accurate; Feynman was not suggesting that one should not then proceed to check
the consequences anyway.

Also, this "belief system" produces verifiable results.

"Guy Chapman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 23:51:20 -0000, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Anyway, what if an individual had experienced God, or the energy that is
God
> >?...what if the individual no longer required faith as they had first
hand,
> >personal experience of the creator energy, knew and understood the reason for existence, reality
> >(and all that) ?
>
> I do know exactly what you mean, having followed Saul of Tarsus along that path some years ago.
> This is not the "proof that denies faith," though, as there is no externally verifiable evidence
> that such an experience has ever taken place. So in my view it is still a matter of faith: our
> faith that this really happened and was not some kind of mass hypnosis effect. But IANAT[1].
>
> [1] I am not a theologian :)

Thanks Guy ! You're spot on regards the lack of external proof, but I'm working on that ;-).... It
is there, it is more real than real, it's just one hell of a frustrating catch 22 situation where
discussing it merely alerts others to one's lack of a grip on this reality...still, one day I'll
work it out...in the meantime...CYCLING ;-) Dave.

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:45:35 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

>It is required to accept one world view, a set of beliefs, creation myths, post death myths etc.
>typically handed down by old men in funny clothes. That equals ignorance and conformity by my
>understanding of things.

This is simple bigotry. You evidently know very little of the people you denigrate, and you have no
idea what is going through their minds. A very good friend of mine is Professor of Bio- and
Electroanalysis at Cranfield (he was previously on the faculty at UMIST), he is not yet 40 and has a
string of patents and an international reputation as a scientist, speaking at conferences around the
world. He is a committed Christian and lives a modest lifestyle despite his status.

We have been round this loop before.

On 03 Mar 2003 13:41:44 +0000 (GMT), David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:

>Also, this "belief system" produces verifiable results.

Except in the case of P**l Sm*th, obviously ;-)

> >It is required to accept one world view, a set of beliefs, creation
myths,
> >post death myths etc. typically handed down by old men in funny clothes. That equals ignorance
> >and conformity by my understanding of things.
>
> This is simple bigotry.

Are you suggesting that it is not necessary to believe certain things to be a believer in a given
religion? I though such freedom was only allowed to Bishops in the CofE :) More specifically, former
Archbishops of York.

Why is it bigotry to declare an atheist viewpoint but perfectly acceptable to preach the gospel? Hey
-- equal rights for atheists.

> You evidently know very little of the people you denigrate, and you have no idea what is going
> through their minds.

I number several deeply religious people (of various faiths) amongst my friends -- we accept each
other has a point of view mutually exclusive from each other on one particular aspect of our lives
and carry on regardless -- but you are right -- I simply cannot see what is going through their
minds to cause them such strange delusions.

> A very good friend of mine is Professor of Bio- and Electroanalysis at Cranfield (he was
> previously on the faculty at UMIST), he is not yet 40 and has a string of patents and an
> international reputation as a scientist, speaking at conferences around the world. He is a
> committed Christian and lives a modest lifestyle despite his status.

And the point is?

> We have been round this loop before.

Why is it OK for someone to come to my door and try to tell me that their system of myth and legend
is the only right answer while if I suggest that all religions are a con trick played on the
populous by the priesthood I am accused of bigotry and of denigrating the people who do believe?
Surely I am only exercising my freedom of speech in the same way they are?

Yes. And it is probably just as well if we do not pass this way too often in a cycling group.
But, if you recall, this started when you questioned the Pope's dislike of condom use in Africa.
Are you now going to try to defend the old dear's teaching which is helping African to die in
their millions?

Guy, you are obviously a man of strong convictions (though hopefully not for speeding :eek: ). It is
not my intention to cause you (or others) up-set. However, it would be a sad day if we tried to make
belief in any given religion (or lack there of) compulsory, to link any given religion (or lack
thereof) to the state and the law (I can live with the anachronism of the established CofE as it is
mostly harmless) or to start dragging heretics such as myself off to be burned at the stake.

Have fun. Keep cycling (even if it is on the dark side) and give the petrol heads hell.

David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:

> This is not really accurate; Feynman was not suggesting that one should not then proceed to check
> the consequences anyway.

Yes he was. He said it was possible to know, not that it was possible to make a good guess, that you
were right based on the elegance of the theory.

> Also, this "belief system" produces verifiable results.

Not at all. Remember the act of observing the results, besides affecting the outcome according to
one belief system (Quantum Mechanics) is itself nothing but a biochemical process which produces a
sensation by means unknown that we interpret as an observation. It could all be an illusion but you
believe it to be real. Queue The Matrix.

Physics is a subset of mathematics which is a subset of religion ;-)

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
their job."

Samuel Goldwyn

> Physics is a subset of mathematics which is a subset of religion ;-)

No.

Mathematics declares its assumption then works rigorously from them.

Physics (indeed science) observes the world, models it using relatively simple mathematical and
other tools. It then uses those models to predict outcomes. If the models work they are refined, if
not they are scrapped.

Verification is a key part of the process.

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:
>>This is not really accurate; Feynman was not suggesting that one should not then proceed to check
>>the consequences anyway.
>Yes he was. He said it was possible to know, not that it was possible to make a good guess, that
>you were right based on the elegance of the theory.

This is tosh; and a particularly unpleasant attack on Feynman which is utterly unjustified.

>>Also, this "belief system" produces verifiable results.
>Not at all. Remember the act of observing the results, besides affecting the outcome according to
>one belief system (Quantum Mechanics)

... which you actually understand nothing about, I see.

>is itself nothing but a biochemical process which produces a sensation by means unknown that we
>interpret as an observation. It could all be an illusion but you believe it to be real.

That does not mean that one cannot produce verifiable predictions about the behaviour of that
supposed illusion.

>Queue The Matrix.

Ah, you think The Matrix was meaningful. Now I understand.

In message <[email protected]>, Tony W <[email protected]> writes
>Standard operating procedure. Keep your believers in ignorance, conformity and poverty. Its the aim
>of all religions.

Re: your comments about bigotry. It looks as if your words above set the tone for this discussion.
None of the comments I've seen on this thread criticise your atheist beliefs although you've been
pretty rude to the 'believers'.

The opposite of bigotry is tolerance. Why not leave them with their beliefs?
--
Michael MacClancy

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 15:59:44 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >It is required to accept one world view, a set of beliefs, creation
>myths,
>> >post death myths etc. typically handed down by old men in funny clothes. That equals ignorance
>> >and conformity by my understanding of things.

>> This is simple bigotry.

>Are you suggesting that it is not necessary to believe certain things to be a believer in a given
>religion?

No, I am saying that unilaterally declaring them myths is bigotry.

>Why is it bigotry to declare an atheist viewpoint but perfectly acceptable to preach the gospel?
>Hey -- equal rights for atheists.

That's not bigotry. I wasn't preaching the Gospel, I was actually being quite careful to be
reasonably neutral - you were the one who waded in with fists flying, as it were. You can preach
what you like in the right place; send me emails arguing your point, I don't mind. I have no problem
with the Dawkinsites - it would be a pretty poor faith if I couldn't bring myself to talk to people
who don't espouse
it.

>> You evidently know very little of the people you denigrate, and you have no idea what is going
>> through their minds.

>I number several deeply religious people (of various faiths) amongst my friends [..] I simply
>cannot see what is going through their minds to cause them such strange delusions.

Deriding a deeply held belief as a delusion is not /terribly/ friendly, is it? :)

>> A very good friend of mine is Professor of Bio- and Electroanalysis at Cranfield (he was
>> previously on the faculty at UMIST), he is not yet 40 and has a string of patents and an
>> international reputation as a scientist, speaking at conferences around the world. He is a
>> committed Christian and lives a modest lifestyle despite his status.

>And the point is?

He is intelligent, a scientist, he lives by the Gospels and it is in every way a privilege to know
him. The tone of your post is that only the gullible or unscientific would believe. This is
manifestly untrue. The Prof. is a particularly accomplished life scientist, and doesn't find that in
any way incmpatible with his belief.

>Why is it OK for someone to come to my door and try to tell me that their system of myth and legend
>is the only right answer while if I suggest that all religions are a con trick played on the
>populous by the priesthood I am accused of bigotry and of denigrating the people who do believe?

Simple: I didn't come to your door or state any such thing. I did not advocate my belief system to
you, but you advocated yours forcefully and in the most pejorative terms in reply.

>if you recall, this started when you questioned the Pope's dislike of condom use in Africa. Are you
>now going to try to defend the old dear's teaching which is helping African to die in their
>millions?

The Pope is not God, whatever he may believe. He is human and fallible, as we all are.

>Guy, you are obviously a man of strong convictions (though hopefully not for speeding :eek:

Never :)

>However, it would be a sad day if we tried to make belief in any given religion (or lack there of)
>compulsory

No such thing was ever mentioned or proposed. I corrected you for the same reason I correct Smith[1]
- you assert forcefully as fact that which is a belief. I have a diferent belief, I accept that it
admits of no proof, I understand and respect the fact that others have different beliefs, and I
don't bash the Bible around here, I think. I don't even have a pair of SPD Jesus boots. Yet.

No statistics were harmed in the preparation of this posting.

[1] though with a much lower incidence, thankfully, and the impact of your assertions is surely far
less tedious or dangerous in context; I am not in any way comparing you as a person with the Mr
Safety - that would indeed be defamatory.

In message <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> writes
>The Pope
snipped .......................................
> He is human and fallible, as we all are.

Sorry, can't resist this. The left footers believe otherwise, regarding the fallibility at least.

--
Michael MacClancy

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 18:47:15 +0000, Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

>The left footers believe otherwise, regarding the fallibility at least.

Only since Borgia ;-)

In message <[email protected]>, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> writes
>In article <[email protected]>, Michael MacClancy
><[email protected]> writes
>>In message <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
>><[email protected]> writes
>>>The Pope
>>snipped .......................................
>>> He is human and fallible, as we all are.
>>
>>Sorry, can't resist this. The left footers believe otherwise, regarding the fallibility at least.
>>
>I don't. Next?

Well, if you're a left footer you're doomed, aren't you? I am and I am.
--
Michael MacClancy

In article <[email protected]>, Michael MacClancy
<[email protected]> writes
>>>snipped .......................................
>>>
>>>Sorry, can't resist this. The left footers believe otherwise, regarding the fallibility at least.
>>>
>>I don't. Next?
>
>Well, if you're a left footer you're doomed, aren't you? I am and I am.

Er...what?
--
The Big Baguette

In message <[email protected]>, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> writes
>In article <[email protected]>, Michael MacClancy
><[email protected]> writes

>>>I don't. Next?
>>
>>Well, if you're a left footer you're doomed, aren't you? I am and I am.
>
>Er...what?

A left footer and therefore doomed (or damned).

--
Michael MacClancy

"The Big Baguette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Michael MacClancy
> <[email protected]> writes

> >>I don't. Next?
> >
> >Well, if you're a left footer you're doomed, aren't you? I am and I am.
>
> Er...what?
> --
> The Big Baguette

"The Big Baguette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >Well, if you're a left footer you're doomed, aren't you? I am and I am.
>
> Er...what?

As my great (but not PC) Aunt would say -- he's one home, two away. I never knew what the hell she
was on about -- but I think it refers to the adherents of one particular sect of a religious belief
-- common in the

As opposed to that well known size of timber -- a 4x2. Cockney rhyming for those 'of the faith'
aka Jewish.

Now Guy is going to pop up and accuse me of racism as well as bigotry :(

Oh well.