Valve rubber

In article <[email protected]>, Michael MacClancy
<[email protected]> writes

>>>Well, if you're a left footer you're doomed, aren't you? I am and I am.
>>
>>Er...what?
>
>A left footer and therefore doomed (or damned).

The pills, Michael. Take the pills.
--
The Big Baguette

Tony W <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Physics is a subset of mathematics which is a subset of religion ;-)
>
> No.
>
> Mathematics declares its assumption then works rigorously from them.
>
> Physics (indeed science) observes the world, models it using relatively simple mathematical and
> other tools. It then uses those models to predict outcomes. If the models work they are refined,
> if not they are scrapped.
>
> Verification is a key part of the process.

No, physicist describe the world by the "equation of everything" U = 0. They just haven't managed to
define U yet.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
their job."

Samuel Goldwyn

In message <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> writes
> The Pope
snipped
> He is human and fallible, as we all are.

I loved the Jeremy Hardy's comment on the News Quiz about Tony Blair meeting the Pope "How do you
hold a conversation when you are both infallible?"

Tony

--

Unlikely. I know plenty of Hebes who freely use the language of the ****-a-knee tribe.

"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> writes:
> > "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> Physics is a subset of mathematics which is a subset of religion ;-)
>
> No, physicist describe the world by the "equation of everything" U = 0. They just haven't managed
> to define U yet.

Have you considered working with Paul Smith? You could hang around on SafeSpeed making his grasp of
physics look good in comparison.

"Alan Braggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > No, physicist describe the world by the "equation of everything" U = 0. They just haven't
> > managed to define U yet.
>
> Have you considered working with Paul Smith? You could hang around on SafeSpeed making his grasp
> of physics look good in comparison.

U = 0 seems perfectly valid as a proposed equation for everything to me.

All I need to know is what the function U is and what variables it operates on.

Now that may take a while.

God is alive and well. He is now working on a less ambitious project.

(Graffito on a bog wall)

Alan Braggins <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>> No, physicist describe the world by the "equation of everything" U = 0. They just haven't managed
>> to define U yet.
>
> Have you considered working with Paul Smith? You could hang around on SafeSpeed making his grasp
> of physics look good in comparison.

I doubt Paul is familiar with superstring theory and the search for the fundamental underlying
M-theory (Theory of Everything or Mother of all Theories). I could be wrong though. 11 dimensional
speed cameras - there's a thought ;-)

Tony

--

David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:

> This is tosh; and a particularly unpleasant attack on Feynman which is utterly unjustified.

Not at all, Feyman was accurate with his use of words but he was also a committer of the Sin of
Galileo (see for example Gribbin's biography of Feynman). He and many other leading physicists
subscribe(d) to the idea of "beauty" in theories. Another great physicist, Dirac for example said
"The research worker, in his effort to express the fundamental laws of Nature in mathematical form
should strive mainly for mathematical beauty. It often happens that the requirements of simplicity
and beauty are the same, but where they clash the latter must take precedence"

>>(Quantum Mechanics)
>
> ... which you actually understand nothing about, I see.

Is the right answer - I know because Feynman told me so in the opening to his book "QED, The Strange
Theory of Light and Matter"

> Ah, you think The Matrix was meaningful. Now I understand.

No, enjoyable although it has quite a strong philosophical underpinning. If you don't like the
Matrix as an example of "What if life is all just a dream" try the history of philosophy starting
with Descartes.

Tony

--

On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 15:20:03 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>This is simple bigotry. You evidently know very little of the people you denigrate, and you have no
>idea what is going through their minds. A very good friend of mine is Professor of Bio- and
>Electroanalysis at Cranfield (he was previously on the faculty at UMIST), he is not yet 40 and has
>a string of patents and an international reputation as a scientist, speaking at conferences around
>the world. He is a committed Christian and lives a modest lifestyle despite his status.
>
>We have been round this loop before.

Several times, Guy :)

You know my thoughts on the subject. However, these current thoughts of mine are diametrically
opposed from what they were some 20 years ago when I was at skoule.

I'm also reminded of a certain f****** b******, more commonly known as Fr Wilfrid; he was both my
headmaster and a Benedictine monk. Wombat, as we used to call him, was a mathematician, physicist
and computer bod - he used to do quite a bit of work from Imperial College, London, IIRC.

Wilfrid had absolutely no problem reconciling his Catholicism with his beliefs in the "real world".

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 01:14:23 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

>As my great (but not PC) Aunt would say -- he's one home, two away. I never knew what the hell she
>was on about -- but I think it refers to the adherents of one particular sect of a religious belief
>-- common in the

Hi Tony

FWIW, this "particular sect of a religious belief" is the faith of about one sixth of the world's
population.

Almost certainly :)

James

--

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 09:00:38 -0000, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I loved the Jeremy Hardy's comment on the News Quiz about Tony Blair meeting the Pope "How do you
>hold a conversation when you are both infallible?"

Indeed. I do wish some of those old shows now broadcast on BBC7 would be made available online in a
"listen again" manner.

BTW, did you see Bremner , Bird and Fortune a few days ago?

James

--

On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 19:56:22 +0000, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

>did you see Bremner , Bird and Fortune a few days ago?

Some of the best TV I've seen this year. Top quality satire.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in

> FWIW, this "particular sect of a religious belief" is the faith of about one sixth of the world's
> population.

Which is impressive but does not make them right !!