Valverde slams Evans as "weak"

whiteboytrash

Mar 9, 2005
Valverde, Pereiro call Evans' team 'weak'

Australian rider Cadel Evans' tenuous grip on the yellow jersey is likely to be undone because of the "weakness" of his Silence-Lotto team, according to Spaniard Alejandro Valverde.
The Caisse d’Epargne rider virtually dropped out of the running for the overall victory in the Tour de France on the 10th stage from Pau to Hautacam on Monday, when Evans took the race lead by a second from Luxembourg's Frank Schleck of Team CSC.

After Tuesday’s rest day, the race resumes with Wednesday's 11th stage from Lannemezan to Foix - a climbing stage that is not too difficult and should see Evans finish still in the lead.

But Valverde and teammate Oscar Pereiro, the 2006 winner by default, say either Russian Denis Menchov of Rabobank or Spaniard Carlos Sastre of CSC is likely to beat the Australian to the yellow jersey in Paris on July 27.

"I see Denis (Menchov) and Carlos (Sastre) as the main favorites," said Pereiro on Tuesday. "Sastre is still in the running although he perhaps lacks that little bit extra that could make the difference between winning the Tour or not. I think Menchov is a little bit stronger, he's going well. Cadel Evans' team is relatively weak, that's his main problem."

Valverde, who dropped to 14th ioverall at four minutes and 41 seconds behind Evans after cracking on the climb over the Col du Tourmalet, echoed his teammate.

"Silence and Rabobank don't have the strongest of teams and they're not great in the mountain stages,” he said. “We can't discount Evans, but I think Menchov and Sastre are now the big favorites, especially Menchov."

He's right....................to the extent that Evans team is weak compared to Caisse for example.

But Evans showed that he is going better than Valverde - so that kinda wipes out any perceived advantage vis-a-vis Valverde/Evans.

By that same measure, Rabo arent exactly strong either, so Menchov won't have the same level of support as say Schleck has with CSC (who are going really well).

long way to go yet in this TDF.

Do you get to write the headlines to your stories in your day job WBT?...
tongue.gif

whiteboytrash said:

Australian rider Cadel Evans' tenuous grip on the yellow jersey is likely to be undone because of the "weakness" of his Silence-Lotto team, according to Spaniard Alejandro Valverde.
The Caisse d’Epargne rider virtually dropped out of the running for the overall victory in the Tour de France on the 10th stage from Pau to Hautacam on Monday, when Evans took the race lead by a second from Luxembourg's Frank Schleck of Team CSC.

After Tuesday’s rest day, the race resumes with Wednesday's 11th stage from Lannemezan to Foix - a climbing stage that is not too difficult and should see Evans finish still in the lead.

But Valverde and teammate Oscar Pereiro, the 2006 winner by default, say either Russian Denis Menchov of Rabobank or Spaniard Carlos Sastre of CSC is likely to beat the Australian to the yellow jersey in Paris on July 27.

"I see Denis (Menchov) and Carlos (Sastre) as the main favorites," said Pereiro on Tuesday. "Sastre is still in the running although he perhaps lacks that little bit extra that could make the difference between winning the Tour or not. I think Menchov is a little bit stronger, he's going well. Cadel Evans' team is relatively weak, that's his main problem."

Valverde, who dropped to 14th ioverall at four minutes and 41 seconds behind Evans after cracking on the climb over the Col du Tourmalet, echoed his teammate.

"Silence and Rabobank don't have the strongest of teams and they're not great in the mountain stages,” he said. “We can't discount Evans, but I think Menchov and Sastre are now the big favorites, especially Menchov."

Caisse might be the better team, but oh boy, their leader blows.

CSC is looking good, as does SD.

Aww...too bad a strong team didn't help Valverde...

I now hope Cadel wins...just for you, WBT...;)

In all fairness, from the interview it does not appear that Valverde 'slammed' Evans. He said something true - Silence Lotto is a weaker team than CSC and even Rabobank, and it showed yesterday.

I do not see what the big issue is...

Powerful Pete said:
In all fairness, from the interview it does not appear that Valverde 'slammed' Evans. He said something true - Silence Lotto is a weaker team than CSC and even Rabobank, and it showed yesterday.

I do not see what the big issue is...
I agree PP. Hence my previous post. The thread title is misleading IMO.

whiteboytrash said:

Dons the Captain obvious hat....
wink.gif

Hmmmm thats exactly what I would say too hehe. Sounds like "Hey Cadel give us some cash buddy. You need us big time."

I hope Cadel does spend some of his rest day cutting deals and playing politics.

Team is a bit weak, but Valverde isn't really in a place to put down other contenders at this point with his less than stellar performance yesterday. As for Carlos Sastre having a chance at yellow? I don't think so. Frank S is going better though he has had a hard time this year really putting the nail in the coffin.

I'm not a fan of Cadel, not really sure why, but I gained respect for him yesterday when he showed how much it meant for him to be in Yellow.

=Geoff Vadar]Dons the Captain obvious hat....
wink.gif

Hmmmm thats exactly what I would say too hehe. Sounds like "Hey Cadel give us some cash buddy. You need us big time."

I hope Cadel does spend some of his rest day cutting deals and playing politics.[/QUOTE]

Geoff Vadar said:
Dons the Captain obvious hat....
wink.gif

I hope Cadel does spend some of his rest day cutting deals and playing politics.
They need some sort of alliance.

This is Evans own fault. If Evans wanted to win the TdF then he should have made sure he was on a team that gave him full and able support. He should not be on a team that supports him as well as McEwen. Getting rid of Horner was a huge mistake. Evans might have been able to give up a little of his own salary to help retain Horner. It would have been worth it to him.

I guess the big question is how much did Evans' crash affect him yesterday. He will have fend for himself often. He may be a little stronger than what we saw yesterday.

whiteboytrash said:
That is very true, but he is forgetting that the person in question is an experienced wheelsucker. So, he can possibly fend for himself. :p

Jokes aside, IMO, it is quite likely that he will lose the yellow in the Alps, but since he can TT better than most other GC riders, has a shot at getting the yellow in the end, unless he loses too much time in the mountains.

I don't think he will need a strong team this year. He just needs to stay close with the 3 or 4 other guys in the mountains and out TT Ricco.

jhuskey said:
I don't think he will need a strong team this year. He just needs to stay close with the 3 or 4 other guys in the mountains and out TT Ricco.
As long as he doesn't ened up in a situation like ValvPiti was in between the climbs yesterday then he should be okay. Much of CSC's advantage is now gone, in that they were working on having 3 GC threats and leaving it to the rivals to decide which one to chase. They now "only" have two threats (A Schleck and Sastre) so Evans knows he has to suck the wheel of whichever one of those two attacks first. By the time Alpe D rolls around Evans should be over the effects of the crash and isn't going to allow Andy Schleck to ride off the front for two minutes. Yesterday he took his eye off a bit as he saw his main threats as Menchov and Sastre.

Rolfrae said:
As long as he doesn't ened up in a situation like ValvPiti was in between the climbs yesterday then he should be okay. Much of CSC's advantage is now gone, in that they were working on having 3 GC threats and leaving it to the rivals to decide which one to chase. They now "only" have two threats (A Schleck and Sastre) so Evans knows he has to suck the wheel of whichever one of those two attacks first. By the time Alpe D rolls around Evans should be over the effects of the crash and isn't going to allow Andy Schleck to ride off the front for two minutes. Yesterday he took his eye off a bit as he saw his main threats as Menchov and Sastre.

I estimate Ricco would need to gain about 4-4.5 mins. from where he is now to be a contender and carry him through the TT.
Not impossible but it would not be easy.
Stage 15- 17 look to be a** kickers, especially 16. Theses are long climbs and suited to guys like Sastre and Evans.

jhuskey said:
I estimate Ricco would need to gain about 4-4.5 mins. from where he is now to be a contender and carry him through the TT.
Stage 15- 17 look to be a** kickers, especially 16. Theses are long climbs and suited to guys like Sastre and Evans.

what about hincapie? do you think he can slip away for a mountain stage win?

Ashley.S.Olsen said:

I don't think anyone will let him ride their wheel.

Ashley.S.Olsen said:

They will let him slip away, all right. ...

Backwards.

He might win the sprint of the 'autobus'. Does that count?

jhuskey said:
I dont know. Ricco is AWFULLY strong. Reason he didnt take another minute out of Evans yesterday was that his two team mates were up the road. He just cruised home with Evans and Menchov.

I really believe he came to get a few stages and maybe a top 10. So he didnt kill himself in the first time trial.

So if Ricco had say 2-3 minutes on Evans going into the final ITT, considering Ricco would really put 100% into it, who would you fancy for the Tour?

whiteboytrash said:

As some others have said, that seems to me to be a fair reflection on the state of the teams? I do find it a bit odd though that Valverde says that Rabobank aren't a strong team and then says Menchov is a big favourite though - that implies that he thinks Menchov is going a lot better than Evans?