Valverde's 'missed' out of competition control

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by steve, Sep 5, 2007.

1. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

This is interesting.

Tags:

2. Eldron

Eldron New Member

Missing controls seems to be the new EPO.

It's weird how these things go in groups - first EPO, then steroids, then that asthma medicine (salbutamol?), then blood doping, then missing controls...

It's almost as if they try and find a problem then match the cyclist rather than actually finding the problem.

3. tommyadrian5

tommyadrian5 New Member

Not trying to defend valverde because I think he was involved in puerto but something about this doesn't seem to add up. From what i've read he 'missed' this control while he was taking part in the Eindhoven TTT which i believe he entered late. If it is true they faxed the UCI that he would be at eindhoven on the date he missed the control and the UCI administered a control at Eindhoven I don't see how they can fault him for not being able to be in two separate places at the same time and one arm not knowing what the other arm is doing.

4. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Funny how when the UCI are struggling to come up with new information on why they have "sorta" suspended Valverde this information leaks ?

The Spanish federation requested the UCI point them to the part in the 6000-page dossier which is new evidence on Valverde........... and now this ! Nice one UCI... information is power !

5. JRMDC

JRMDC New Member

The Spanish federation now defends him, and his lawyer says that not only did he fax his revised schedule, but he had a post-race doping control on the very day that he allegedly missed a surprise test at his home.

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/13219.0.html

6. Tor

Tor New Member

UCI, WADA, Unipublic, ASO... its all power games but if there's no power to be had, what's the point in being top dog anyway?
    people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, don't they know this? all they're doing is dragging cycling's already shit name through the mud
    in the end, it won't be the doping that ruins the sport, just the stupid politics

7. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Valverde defenitly was in Eindhoven...
    I know they are after him since the organisation of the Stuttgart worlds announced that they don't want to see Valverde in Stuttgart. At some point Valverde was being followed around the clock from different WADA and UCI teams (note: I am not joking!)... Their problem? He did not test positive.

8. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Of course Valverde's problem was that his TdF performance was below par. Maybe being followed around made juicing a little too dangerous.

9. wolfix

wolfix New Member

I am really starting to lose my interest in the sport.In this case, he may be involved in the blood doctors experiments. However, there simply is not enough proof to hang him. He should be allowed to compete. It seems with the latest info we get from the media, they are trying their best to discredit him in other ways. Over the past few years we have never heard of a rider being banned or punished for missing a control. Starting with RAZ, missing a control seems to be the crime of the moment. I can't believe that riders have not missed before.
    There has to be consistency of the governing bodies for the sport to do well.
    Anyone else losing interest?

10. Wayne666

Wayne666 New Member

I've also read the Spanish Cycling Feds say they can't open any cases based on OP anyway b/c the Spanish judiciary has forbid it.

I think the UCI is out to get Valverde now as a sacrificial lamb for OP and to appease the Germans. Unfortunately the Spanish feds won't play ball. He'll either have to ride largely clean, or they'll catch him like they did with the Astana riders as a show that they are serious and then hope everyone forgets about OP.

11. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

They started following him after the Tour...

@wolfix: No Wolf I am not losing interest. I think some people are digging their own grave and after they succeeded everything is possible...

12. thoughtforfood

thoughtforfood New Member

I am interested in the sport, just not the results of races for the time being. I think that in this case, the UCI is trying to appear interested in cleaning up a sport that it was complicit in allowing to get dirty in the first place. They have been and still are suspect whenever they get involved with doping. They have no substantial case here, and appear to be looking for headlines to make them look like they are doing something.

Just wondering if anyone finds the U23 womens MTB gold and silver medalists a little suspicious? Two young women from China kill the field........hmmm....this is one of the reasons I lose interest in results from any level of cycling.

However, I will give a shout out to Adam Craig for his Single Speed World Championship......ridden in denim cut-off's, denim vest, and cheasy 70's mustache...that guy has style!

13. thunder

thunder New Member

but you can always get a personal control away to a lab, check you are clean.

With the EPO micro testing window, he might have been AWOL for 10 days, microdosing every time, to be doubly careful, and then, on the 10th day, still away, gets a control away to one of his labs, to check his specs, and that he is clean, but only on that tenth day does a random OOC test hit him.

He knows then, he better front somewhere, because if he is still AWOL, it will look more suspicious and chances are missed tests will compile.

His personal control comes back clean, he fronts at Eindhoven. Great cover.

If he had not been microdosing, and it showed up in his personal control, he is another few days away from getting on the testers radar, and each day, they can hit him with a missed test.

With a missed test, I assume it is wise to get back in testing range, so you need to do your own controls and ascertain if you are still hot.

This is the way Victor Conte said it is done. And we know that the docs send their own specimens away to see if there is any substance still showing.

14. fscyclist

fscyclist New Member

What I don't understand is why a missed test in June is just now coming to light. How long does it take for the UCI to figure out someone missed a test? Now they give him 10 days to explain, 3 months after the incident?:confused:

15. fscyclist

fscyclist New Member

Yeah, I've lost almost all interest after this year's tour. The arbitrary way the Tour DQ'd riders was ridiculous. One rider on Cofidis is pos. and the whole team goes home, same for Astana. Then they yank the yellow jersey off a guy who is still cleared to race by the UCI, and his team stays. The winner is neck deep in Puerto, but not a word is said.

The only thing that makes sense anymore is that politics is truly ruling the sport. I never liked doping because it ruins the fairness of the sport. Well...I think what is going on now at least if not more unfair than doping.

16. nns1400

nns1400 New Member

Geez, that's complicated! Obviously no one with ADD could be a pro cyclist. I know I would screw that system up in no time at all.

17. nns1400

nns1400 New Member

I have to agree. At least if "everyone is doping" it is sort of a level playing field you're watching, but this is so arbitrary and unpredictable that it takes the fun out of it. Why follow teams or riders you like, or pay close attention to the races when these people pull the rug out from under different riders under dubious circumstances.