van dessel?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Rlp, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Rlp

    Rlp Guest

    does anyone know the 'straight up' single speed. i like it and want it. opinions? good company? sad
    to say i don't know them...

    thanks

  2. Rocketman

    Rocketman Guest

    "rlp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > does anyone know the 'straight up' single speed. i like it and want it. opinions? good company?
    > sad to say i don't know them...

    I own and ride a 2003 Van Dessel Super Fly, which is the super-deluxe version of the Straight Up
    (same frame, anyway). Van Dessel offers great customer service, and has taken good care of me. I had
    a problem with the disc brake, and they sent an upgraded replacement part, no questions asked. You
    gotta love that.

    As for the curvy frame, it's nice. Women love Van Dessel bikes, and they get a lot of attention. My
    wife oohed and aah'ed over it, and she never notices any of my other bikes (including my custom
    Klein Attitude). There is a *ton* of tire clearance, so you can fit the hugest tires out there (if
    that's your thing). It's pretty sporty for a hybrid. Here's a photo of my '03 Super Fly wearing
    Planet Bike Freddy Fenders (so you can see what the Straight Up will look like with fenders.)

    http://bsanders.net/2003_bikes/pages/2003%20Van%20Dessel%20Super%20Fly.htm

    I'm not sure what I think about the moustache handlebars. Some days I love 'em, and other days I
    wish I had flat mountain bars, or mild risers. Luckily for you, with a single speed, you can
    experiment easily with various handlebar configurations, including drop bars, without a lot of
    hassle or expense. Sometimes I wish I had bought the Straight Up for its lighter weight and
    simplicity.

    HTH,

    Rocketman

  3. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    rlp <[email protected]> wrote:

    > does anyone know the 'straight up' single speed. i like it and want it. opinions? good company?
    > sad to say i don't know them...

    Van Dessel make some very sweet bikes. I owned a Buzz Bomb 700c MTB, which I found to be a nice bike
    in every way. It proved to be too flexible for my weight (~350lbs), so I passed it on.

    If you are of normal weight, any Van Dessel bike should be a fine ride. They are all 700c bikes with
    clearance for fat rubber, they all have reasonably substantial aluminum frames, and they all would
    look more at home in a European city than they do in their native USA. You will not be sorry if you
    buy one; they are very good value at the prices I have seen for them.

    Chalo Colina