Van Petegem WINS!!!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Swampy, Apr 13, 2003.

  1. Swampy

    Swampy Guest

  2. Dann Francis

    Dann Francis Guest

    thanks for ruining the surprise

    Dann

  3. Oldphart

    Oldphart Guest

    yeah thanks....... Fred

    Dann Francis wrote:
    > thanks for ruining the surprise
    >
    > Dann

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

  5. Swampy

    Swampy Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Dann Francis) wrote:

    > thanks for ruining the surprise

    you read this newsgroup after major races and don't want to know the results? Obviously
    you're a moron.

  6. Swampy

    Swampy Guest

  7. swampy wrote:

    > you read this newsgroup after major races and don't want to know the results? Obviously you're
    > a moron.

    Back in the very old days when this newsgroup began, there was a convention that race results were
    not posted in headers. (*sigh* That was when Willem Boersma and I were about the only ones posting
    Euro results...)

    (Of course, there was also a Usenet convention that ad hominem style comments such as "obviously
    you're a moron" were unacceptable.)

    Both conventions followed more in the breach than the observance these days, it seems. STF

  8. Me

    Me Guest

    swampy wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Dann Francis) wrote:
    >

    >>thanks for ruining the surprise
    >

    > you read this newsgroup after major races and don't want to know the results? Obviously you're
    > a moron.

    Please refer to the previous post. Place results inside the post and lable as such on subject line
    so that those of us who don't have access to the TV can watch on tape and enjoy. Oh and stop with
    the charactor/intellect judgements. By the looks of it you're a FOOL.

  9. Me

    Me Guest

    swampy wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, oldphart <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>yeah thanks....... Fred
    >

    > mormon asshole...

    Nope, not me. I'm not brainwashed enough for that. Prod pig.

    Ok enough name calling, It's been said here before that results in the subject line are frowned
    on.........

  10. On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 11:19:28 -0400, swampy <[email protected]> wrote:

    It would be better if your header had been "Roubaix Result - Spoiler" or similar - with the result
    in the body.

    Stephen

  11. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Mike S. wrote:
    > "swampy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>
    > Just checked the results on cyclingnews.com. Boonen was right BEHIND van Hesjwik (sp?)! HAH!

    Not bad for a rider who strained his groin early in the race.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/apr03/apr14news

    "I had a lot of bad luck today. I crashed before I saw the first cobbles. I strained my groin
    again. I had tears in my eyes, and that's not very comfortable. In our team it was chaos: it
    was a very fast race that was difficult to control. Whoever is in front is gone, and at the
    back everything is slowing down. We sat muddling along with three men. Ach, Museeuw was not so
    good today."

  12. me wrote:

    > swampy wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Dann Francis) wrote:
    > >

    > >>thanks for ruining the surprise
    > >

    > > you read this newsgroup after major races and don't want to know the results? Obviously you're a
    > > moron.
    > >
    > Please refer to the previous post. Place results inside the post and lable as such on subject line
    > so that those of us who don't have access to the TV can watch on tape and enjoy.

    to be safe, you shouldn't read the group until you've enjoyed the tape. it's up to you, though.

    people have been putting results in the header as long as i've been reading this group, and people
    have been complaining about it that long, too...

  13. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    me wrote:

    > Ok enough name calling, It's been said here before that results in the subject line are frowned
    > on.........

    Proper etiquette demands that you post the whole podium in the Subject.

  14. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:

    > swampy wrote:

    >> you read this newsgroup after major races and don't want to know the results? Obviously you're
    >> a moron.

    > Back in the very old days when this newsgroup began, there was a convention that race results were
    > not posted in headers. (*sigh* That was when Willem Boersma and I were about the only ones posting
    > Euro results...)

    > (Of course, there was also a Usenet convention that ad hominem style comments such as "obviously
    > you're a moron" were unacceptable.)

    > Both conventions followed more in the breach than the observance these days, it seems.

    Back in the very old days it didn't matter if you put the results in the header, at least for us in
    the US, because the only TV coverage was taped and internet coverage didn't exist.

    Later, as the internet and US cable service matured to begin serving these markets, people
    discovered that posting header results upset those that had set their VCRs to tape races while they
    were at work. Anytime you throw thousands of people together you find that a non-trivial number of
    them have arrested development such that complaining about something will guarantee that it recurrs.
    There is, therefore, a near 100% probability that the results of any major race will appear in the
    header of some post.

    Because of this, I feel the burden should fall on the tiny fraction of people that do not wish to
    know race results to not consult a newsgroup where this desire is certain to be violated. If
    anyone's day is ruined by seeing results in the header, tough shit. If it's that big of a deal then
    people clearly need more going on in their lives.

    Anyone that doesn't want to know the result of a race they've taped but not yet seen and still
    checks r.b.r is clearly a moron.

    I do miss Willem though.

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  15. Me

    Me Guest

    the word moron is being bandied abouot here pretty loosely but then there are some real jerks out
    there that sit behind a screen and type what garbage falls forom the recesses of thier cranial
    cavities.... It's unfortunate buit goes with the dumbing down of society..... Lastly, everyone is
    entitled to an opinion, including the uneducated putz that assumed that because one of us is in
    Utah, that person was a) mormon and b) an asshole. As the saying goes thy're like assholes......
    some stink more thatn others..... I myself read RBR not for cycling news, that comes for real
    sources, but to see what the fatties in SoCali are saying about one another eachday.

  16. heather halvorson <[email protected]> writes:

    > me wrote:
    > >
    > > swampy wrote:

    > > > you read this newsgroup after major races and don't want to know the results? Obviously you're
    > > > a moron.
    > > >
    > > Please refer to the previous post. Place results inside the post and lable as such on subject
    > > line so that those of us who don't have access to the TV can watch on tape and enjoy.
    >
    > to be safe, you shouldn't read the group until you've enjoyed the tape. it's up to you, though.
    >
    > people have been putting results in the header as long as i've been reading this group, and people
    > have been complaining about it that long, too...

    ...and people have been making fun of people who have been complaining about it...

    -Gerard

  17. Deeznuts

    Deeznuts Guest

    me <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > the word moron is being bandied abouot here pretty loosely but then there are some real jerks out
    > there that sit behind a screen and type what garbage falls forom the recesses of thier cranial
    > cavities.... It's unfortunate buit goes with the dumbing down of society..... Lastly, everyone is
    > entitled to an opinion, including the uneducated putz that assumed that because one of us is in
    > Utah, that person was a) mormon and b) an asshole. As the saying goes thy're like assholes......
    > some stink more thatn others..... I myself read RBR not for cycling news, that comes for real
    > sources, but to see what the fatties in SoCali are saying about one another eachday.

    mormon asshole,

    People are going to post results in the headers. Deal with it and shut up.

    Deez

  18. Me

    Me Guest

    putz

    Deeznuts wrote:
    > me <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>the word moron is being bandied abouot here pretty loosely but then there are some real jerks out
    >>there that sit behind a screen and type what garbage falls forom the recesses of thier cranial
    >>cavities.... It's unfortunate buit goes with the dumbing down of society..... Lastly, everyone is
    >>entitled to an opinion, including the uneducated putz that assumed that because one of us is in
    >>Utah, that person was a) mormon and b) an asshole. As the saying goes thy're like assholes......
    >>some stink more thatn others..... I myself read RBR not for cycling news, that comes for real
    >>sources, but to see what the fatties in SoCali are saying about one another eachday.
    >

    > mormon asshole,
    >
    > People are going to post results in the headers. Deal with it and shut up.
    >

    > Deez

  19. In article <[email protected]>,
    Steve McGinty <[email protected]_DOT_.com> wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 11:19:28 -0400, swampy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > It would be better if your header had been "Roubaix Result - Spoiler" or similar - with the result
    > in the body.

    That's not the way we do things here in RBR ... and nothing you can do will change that.

    pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est

  20. In article <[email protected]>, me <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Lastly, everyone is entitled to an opinion, including the uneducated putz that assumed that
    > because one of us is in Utah, that person was a) mormon and b) an asshole.

    Sssshhhhhhhhhh!!!!! You'll blow my cover.

    Otherwise, wives 5, 7, and 14 will divorce me, making it difficult for me to close on the house I'm
    buying for wives 8, 9, and 13.

    pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est