Van Petegem WINS!!!

yeah thanks....... Fred

swampy wrote:

> you read this newsgroup after major races and don't want to know the results? Obviously you're
> a moron.

Back in the very old days when this newsgroup began, there was a convention that race results were
not posted in headers. (*sigh* That was when Willem Boersma and I were about the only ones posting
Euro results...)

(Of course, there was also a Usenet convention that ad hominem style comments such as "obviously
you're a moron" were unacceptable.)

Both conventions followed more in the breach than the observance these days, it seems. STF

swampy wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Dann Francis) wrote:
>

>>thanks for ruining the surprise
>

> you read this newsgroup after major races and don't want to know the results? Obviously you're
> a moron.

Please refer to the previous post. Place results inside the post and lable as such on subject line
so that those of us who don't have access to the TV can watch on tape and enjoy. Oh and stop with
the charactor/intellect judgements. By the looks of it you're a FOOL.

swampy wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, oldphart <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>yeah thanks....... Fred
>

> mormon asshole...

Nope, not me. I'm not brainwashed enough for that. Prod pig.

Ok enough name calling, It's been said here before that results in the subject line are frowned
on.........

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 11:19:28 -0400, swampy <[email protected]> wrote:

It would be better if your header had been "Roubaix Result - Spoiler" or similar - with the result
in the body.

Stephen

Mike S. wrote:
> "swampy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>
> Just checked the results on cyclingnews.com. Boonen was right BEHIND van Hesjwik (sp?)! HAH!

Not bad for a rider who strained his groin early in the race.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/apr03/apr14news

"I had a lot of bad luck today. I crashed before I saw the first cobbles. I strained my groin
again. I had tears in my eyes, and that's not very comfortable. In our team it was chaos: it
was a very fast race that was difficult to control. Whoever is in front is gone, and at the
back everything is slowing down. We sat muddling along with three men. Ach, Museeuw was not so
good today."

me wrote:

> swampy wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Dann Francis) wrote:
> >

> >>thanks for ruining the surprise
> >

> > you read this newsgroup after major races and don't want to know the results? Obviously you're a
> > moron.
> >
> Please refer to the previous post. Place results inside the post and lable as such on subject line
> so that those of us who don't have access to the TV can watch on tape and enjoy.

to be safe, you shouldn't read the group until you've enjoyed the tape. it's up to you, though.

people have been putting results in the header as long as i've been reading this group, and people
have been complaining about it that long, too...

me wrote:

> Ok enough name calling, It's been said here before that results in the subject line are frowned
> on.........

Proper etiquette demands that you post the whole podium in the Subject.

Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:

> swampy wrote:

>> you read this newsgroup after major races and don't want to know the results? Obviously you're
>> a moron.

> Back in the very old days when this newsgroup began, there was a convention that race results were
> not posted in headers. (*sigh* That was when Willem Boersma and I were about the only ones posting
> Euro results...)

> (Of course, there was also a Usenet convention that ad hominem style comments such as "obviously
> you're a moron" were unacceptable.)

> Both conventions followed more in the breach than the observance these days, it seems.

Back in the very old days it didn't matter if you put the results in the header, at least for us in
the US, because the only TV coverage was taped and internet coverage didn't exist.

Later, as the internet and US cable service matured to begin serving these markets, people
discovered that posting header results upset those that had set their VCRs to tape races while they
were at work. Anytime you throw thousands of people together you find that a non-trivial number of
them have arrested development such that complaining about something will guarantee that it recurrs.
There is, therefore, a near 100% probability that the results of any major race will appear in the
header of some post.

Because of this, I feel the burden should fall on the tiny fraction of people that do not wish to
know race results to not consult a newsgroup where this desire is certain to be violated. If
anyone's day is ruined by seeing results in the header, tough ****. If it's that big of a deal then
people clearly need more going on in their lives.

Anyone that doesn't want to know the result of a race they've taped but not yet seen and still
checks r.b.r is clearly a moron.

I do miss Willem though.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

the word moron is being bandied abouot here pretty loosely but then there are some real jerks out
there that sit behind a screen and type what garbage falls forom the recesses of thier cranial
cavities.... It's unfortunate buit goes with the dumbing down of society..... Lastly, everyone is
entitled to an opinion, including the uneducated putz that assumed that because one of us is in
Utah, that person was a) mormon and b) an asshole. As the saying goes thy're like assholes......
some stink more thatn others..... I myself read RBR not for cycling news, that comes for real
sources, but to see what the fatties in SoCali are saying about one another eachday.

heather halvorson <[email protected]> writes:

> me wrote:
> >
> > swampy wrote:

> > > you read this newsgroup after major races and don't want to know the results? Obviously you're
> > > a moron.
> > >
> > Please refer to the previous post. Place results inside the post and lable as such on subject
> > line so that those of us who don't have access to the TV can watch on tape and enjoy.
>
> to be safe, you shouldn't read the group until you've enjoyed the tape. it's up to you, though.
>
> people have been putting results in the header as long as i've been reading this group, and people
> have been complaining about it that long, too...

...and people have been making fun of people who have been complaining about it...

-Gerard

me <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> the word moron is being bandied abouot here pretty loosely but then there are some real jerks out
> there that sit behind a screen and type what garbage falls forom the recesses of thier cranial
> cavities.... It's unfortunate buit goes with the dumbing down of society..... Lastly, everyone is
> entitled to an opinion, including the uneducated putz that assumed that because one of us is in
> Utah, that person was a) mormon and b) an asshole. As the saying goes thy're like assholes......
> some stink more thatn others..... I myself read RBR not for cycling news, that comes for real
> sources, but to see what the fatties in SoCali are saying about one another eachday.

mormon asshole,

People are going to post results in the headers. Deal with it and shut up.

Deez

putz

Deeznuts wrote:
> me <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>the word moron is being bandied abouot here pretty loosely but then there are some real jerks out
>>there that sit behind a screen and type what garbage falls forom the recesses of thier cranial
>>cavities.... It's unfortunate buit goes with the dumbing down of society..... Lastly, everyone is
>>entitled to an opinion, including the uneducated putz that assumed that because one of us is in
>>Utah, that person was a) mormon and b) an asshole. As the saying goes thy're like assholes......
>>some stink more thatn others..... I myself read RBR not for cycling news, that comes for real
>>sources, but to see what the fatties in SoCali are saying about one another eachday.
>

> mormon asshole,
>
> People are going to post results in the headers. Deal with it and shut up.
>

> Deez

In article <[email protected]>,
Steve McGinty <stephenmcginty@ntlworld_DOT_.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 11:19:28 -0400, swampy <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> It would be better if your header had been "Roubaix Result - Spoiler" or similar - with the result
> in the body.

That's not the way we do things here in RBR ... and nothing you can do will change that.

pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est

In article <[email protected]>, me <[email protected]> wrote:

> Lastly, everyone is entitled to an opinion, including the uneducated putz that assumed that
> because one of us is in Utah, that person was a) mormon and b) an asshole.

Sssshhhhhhhhhh!!!!! You'll blow my cover.

Otherwise, wives 5, 7, and 14 will divorce me, making it difficult for me to close on the house I'm
buying for wives 8, 9, and 13.

pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est