Vandedrome for sale

Thomas Reynolds <[email protected]> wrote:
> I would also rather have that than a swimming pool. Better yet, I can build a swimming pool in the
> infield. And put a big cover over the whole thing. I wonder what my neighbors would think of that.

> Well, I can always dream.

That would be the 50K dream (65K with a new riding surface).

Bob "12K dream inflation" Schwartz [email protected]

> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]>
> >
> > Were you on the team pursuit squad that raced there? They pretty much
> ruled
> > every single race that wasn't a keirin or match sprint. The rest of us didn't have either the
> > power or the skills. That thing is a terror for
> those
> > of us used to 333 meter tracks.
> >

> As a group, yes I was part of the team pursuit squad there when it was at Del Mar, but we never
> did a team pursuit on it. I don't think it was practical to do any standing start events as you
> couldn't stand up in the bends.
>
> Fortunately, having ridden on several 166m and one 135m track before, this wasn't such a big
> adjustment for me.

That's where the international racers had a very big advantage.

I thought the straightaways were too short. When turns that are that sharp come that often, it's
very difficult to get around whomever is leading in the pole lane. It made the races less
interesting tactically.

The keirins were exciting to watch just because it seemed like someone was ready to crash at any
time, but with Arrue leading and Whitehead sweeping, no one could get around. Plus, they didn't stay
in the pole lane, going wide in the straightaways and cutting the turn.

"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]>

> > Fortunately, having ridden on several 166m and one 135m track before,
this
> > wasn't such a big adjustment for me.
>
> That's where the international racers had a very big advantage.
>
> I thought the straightaways were too short. When turns that are that sharp come that often, it's
> very difficult to get around whomever is leading in the pole lane. It made the races less
> interesting tactically.
>
> The keirins were exciting to watch just because it seemed like someone was ready to crash at any
> time, but with Arrue leading and Whitehead sweeping, no one could get around. Plus, they didn't
> stay in the pole lane, going
wide
> in the straightaways and cutting the turn.

IIRC, the Vandedrome was expandable by adding sections to the straights. I don't recall if it was
the long or short version in Del Mar. As a rule though, as tracks become shorter in distance, the
reduction does not stay proportional between the straights and bends; the straights will be reduced
more than the bends. Just as with riding a corner on the road if you stay to the inside radius,
your speed has certain limits, but if you increase the radius of the turn you can go faster. The
same theory goes with the bends on a track: you can only tighten the bends so much before they
become unsafe. You are limited in how steep you can bank the track, so you have to shorten the
straights more than the bends to limit straightaway acceleration and allow for safe riding in the
bends at top speeds.

I agree about the keirins. Arrue had the power to punch through the wind to make top speed, but
Whitehead was always an exquisite and fearless bikehandler with awesome reflexes. I could swear I
saw a crash where he clipped out and damn near jumped over the handlebars and landed on his feet in
one of those keirins. Too bad he had behaviors than often took away from those abilities.

If A & W rode like that, it's because the officials let them.

Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> writes:

> Thomas Reynolds <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I would also rather have that than a swimming pool. Better yet, I can build a swimming pool in
> > the infield. And put a big cover over the whole thing. I wonder what my neighbors would think
> > of that.
>
> > Well, I can always dream.
>
> That would be the 50K dream (65K with a new riding surface).
>
> Bob "12K dream inflation" Schwartz [email protected]

I ain't that far out of reach if you consider what people pay for an RV, boat, or summer home.

-Gerard (reads "Yachting" magazine at the doctor's office)

> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]>
> > >
> > > Fortunately, having ridden on several 166m and one 135m track before,
> this
> > > wasn't such a big adjustment for me.
> >
> > That's where the international racers had a very big advantage.
> >
> > I thought the straightaways were too short. When turns that are that sharp come that often, it's
> > very difficult to get around whomever is leading in the pole lane. It made the races less
> > interesting tactically.
> >
> > The keirins were exciting to watch just because it seemed like someone was ready to crash at any
> > time, but with Arrue leading and Whitehead sweeping, no one could get around. Plus, they didn't
> > stay in the pole lane, going
> wide
> > in the straightaways and cutting the turn.
> >

> IIRC, the Vandedrome was expandable by adding sections to the straights. I don't recall if it was
> the long or short version in Del Mar. As a rule though, as tracks become shorter in distance, the
> reduction does not stay proportional between the straights and bends; the straights will be
> reduced more than the bends. Just as with riding a corner on the road if you stay to the inside
> radius, your speed has certain limits, but if you increase the radius of the turn you can go
> faster. The same theory goes with the bends on a track: you can only tighten the bends so much
> before they become unsafe. You are limited in how steep you can bank the track, so you have to
> shorten the straights more than the bends to limit straightaway acceleration and allow for safe
> riding in the bends at top speeds.
>
> I agree about the keirins. Arrue had the power to punch through the wind to make top speed, but
> Whitehead was always an exquisite and fearless bikehandler with awesome reflexes. I could swear I
> saw a crash where he clipped out and damn near jumped over the handlebars and landed on his feet
> in one of those keirins. Too bad he had behaviors than often took away from those abilities.
>
> If A & W rode like that, it's because the officials let them.

For all the negative things I have said about Meat, He is definately one of the best if not THE best
bike handler I have ever seen. Dave

Gerard Lanois <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Thomas Reynolds <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > I would also rather have that than a swimming pool. Better yet, I can build a swimming pool in
> > > the infield. And put a big cover over the whole thing. I wonder what my neighbors would think
> > > of that.
>
> > > Well, I can always dream.
> >
> > That would be the 50K dream (65K with a new riding surface).
> >
> > Bob "12K dream inflation" Schwartz [email protected]
>
> I ain't that far out of reach if you consider what people pay for an RV, boat, or summer home.

Or even an SUV (Lincoln Navigator, Cadillac Escalade, Mercedes Benz, etc).