Vanilla Sugar vs. Extract

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dave Smith, Aug 6, 2005.

  1. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Clemens wrote:

    > I can't find vanilla sugar which is called by a recipe. I got a pure
    > vanilla extract, but I have no idea how many drops are equivalent to
    > how many grams. Please tell me, if the recipe calls for three grams
    > of sugar what would be the equivalent in drops of extract, to get a
    > taste of vannila ?

    Take the cap of the vanilla extract bottle and pass it over the sugar. 3
    grams of sugar is roughly 1/10 of an ounce, so I doubt that there would
    be much vanilla flavour to worry about.
    You can make your own vanilla sugar by cutting up a vanilla bean and
    letting it sit in some sugar for a while. You can even use vanilla beans
    that you have used for a cooked dish, like custard. If desperate, you
    can put a drop or two of extract in a cup of sugar and shake it around
    to get the flavour mixed up really well.

    Tags:

  2. Clemens wrote:
    > I can't find vanilla sugar which is called by a recipe. I got a pure
    > vanilla extract, but I have no idea how many drops are equivalent to
    > how many grams. Please tell me, if the recipe calls for three grams
    > of sugar what would be the equivalent in drops of extract, to get a
    > taste of vannila ?
    >
    > Thank you.

    For the future, take an airtight container, a glass jar will be fine
    and make your own Vanilla Sugar. For a cup of granulated sugar, cut a
    Vanilla Bean into 1/2 inch pieces and bury in the sugar. In a few
    days, you will have vanilla flavored sugar, which can be used for
    baking recipes. It smells heavenly, assuming you like the aroma of
    Vanilla and will keep for a long time.

  3. Clemens

    Clemens Guest

    I can't find vanilla sugar which is called by a recipe. I got a pure
    vanilla extract, but I have no idea how many drops are equivalent to
    how many grams. Please tell me, if the recipe calls for three grams
    of sugar what would be the equivalent in drops of extract, to get a
    taste of vannila ?

    Thank you.

  4. jake

    jake Guest

    Clemens wrote:
    > I can't find vanilla sugar which is called by a recipe. I got a pure
    > vanilla extract, but I have no idea how many drops are equivalent to
    > how many grams. Please tell me, if the recipe calls for three grams
    > of sugar what would be the equivalent in drops of extract, to get a
    > taste of vannila ?
    >
    > Thank you.

    in Holland, one packet of vanilla sugar is small but so strong that in
    cakes you mix it with 500 grams of regular sugar and then it seems to be
    right. Does that haelp?

  5. jake

    jake Guest