Various RANS Screamer questions

Bobinator

Guest
I just got my new RANS Screamer Ultimate from the Hostel Shoppe and took it out for my first test
ride, sans stoker. If my Phantom II handles like a sports cars, then the Screamer is a SUV. It rides
well. My questions:

I did experience some seat slippage with the new seat mount. I believe this was a thread way back
when. Is it just a matter of the proper tension adjustment, or is it problematic?

I got the special magnet ring for the front Aerospoke wheel, but I would like to put a computer on
the stoker's position. Since I have a cassette on one side of the rear wheel and a drum brake on the
other, what are my options for a magnet other than a zip tie?

Thanks in advance.

The new RADLOC design seatclamp has adjustable pressure. Call Hostel Shoppe or RANS and talk to
Barry, he will help you out. RANS has an instruction sheet that covers installation, operation and
adjustment. For the most part seat slippage was an occurrence with the old seat mount. The collar
magnet for the front Aerospoke works well. On composite wheels I have in the past used Crazy Glue
GEL type to glue on a small square magnet. Its still on my HED 3 after 2K miles. CatEye markets a
composite wheel magnet which I recently installed on a HED-3 it uses a double sided tape and ziptie
which you seem to not want.

Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Bobinator" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just got my new RANS Screamer Ultimate from the Hostel Shoppe and took it out for my first test
> ride, sans stoker. If my Phantom II handles like a sports cars, then the Screamer is a SUV. It
> rides well. My questions:
>
> I did experience some seat slippage with the new seat mount. I believe this was a thread way back
> when. Is it just a matter of the proper tension adjustment, or is it problematic?
>
> I got the special magnet ring for the front Aerospoke wheel, but I would like to put a computer on
> the stoker's position. Since I have a cassette on one side of the rear wheel and a drum brake on
> the other, what are my options for a magnet other than a zip tie?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I just bought a screamer that still has the old seat mounts and would be interested in how people
dealt with the slippage problem. I just keep making it a little tighter each time???

"Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The new RADLOC design seatclamp has adjustable pressure. Call Hostel Shoppe or RANS and talk
> to Barry, he will help you out. RANS has an instruction sheet that covers installation,
> operation and adjustment. For the most part seat slippage was an occurrence with the old
> seat mount. The collar magnet for the front Aerospoke works well. On composite wheels I have
> in the past used Crazy Glue GEL type to glue on a small
square
> magnet. Its still on my HED 3 after 2K miles. CatEye markets a composite wheel magnet which I
> recently installed on a HED-3 it uses a double sided tape and ziptie which you seem to not want.
>
> --
> Jude....///Bacchetta AERO St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and
> Sports, Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Bobinator" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I just got my new RANS Screamer Ultimate from the Hostel Shoppe and took it out for my first
> > test ride, sans stoker. If my Phantom II handles like a sports cars, then the Screamer is a SUV.
> > It rides well. My questions:
> >
> > I did experience some seat slippage with the new seat mount. I believe this was a thread way
> > back when. Is it just a matter of the proper tension adjustment, or is it problematic?
> >
> > I got the special magnet ring for the front Aerospoke wheel, but I would like to put a computer
> > on the stoker's position. Since I have a cassette on one side of the rear wheel and a drum brake
> > on the other, what are my options for a magnet other than a zip tie?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

Bobinator,

> I did experience some seat slippage with the new seat mount.

Don't know if the new mounts work any better than the old ones, but a stainless steel hose clamp
threaded through a piece of shrink tubing, to prevent scratches, clamped around the
frame....absolutely prevents slippage. And it allows you to get the seat back in exactly the same
place, any time you remove it.

> I got the special magnet ring for the front Aerospoke wheel, but I would like to put a computer on
> the stoker's position. Since I have a cassette on one side of the rear wheel and a drum brake on
> the other, what are my options for a magnet other than a zip tie?

The same piece of black electrical tape has worked on my stoker's Aerospoke wheel since 1996.

http://www.rowvelo.com/images/26-26Scr.jpg

That grade schooler is in college now...and my mustache is gray. :-(

Warren

If you want a second computor for the stoker just spice it into the captain's wire. If necessary
splice an extention wire to give you the proper length. It works well for me with Avocet 45
computors on my Screamer.

Shortboat <[email protected]> wrote:
> If you want a second computor for the stoker just spice it into the captain's wire. If necessary
> splice an extention wire to give you the proper length. It works well for me with Avocet 45
> computors on my Screamer.

Note that Avocet computers work differently than most others. With an Avocet, there is a magnet ring
and a coil pickup, rather than a single magnet with a reed switch. The Avocet pickup generates
current pulses, so two Avocets hooked to the same sensor shouldn't be a problem.

With a reed switch, the current comes from the computer, so two computers hooked together *might*
not work well, unless the computers were identical, the batteries were at the same charge level, and
the polarities of the two units matched. Blocking diodes to keep one computer's sensor current from
entering the other computer might also be needed. Even then, I'm not sure it would work well. It
would be better to just use the same magnet to trigger two separate pickups, one for each computer.
Mounting double pickups is left as an exercise for the reader.
--
Russ [email protected] the wabbit to despam "The best thing about that
show was the number of cars that exploded into huge fireballs. If only 'twere so...." -Chalo Colina,

I have my computer pick-up on one side of the front wheel and my stoker's on the other side. i did
have to splice a longer wire to the one going to the stoker. Have had no problems in about 3500
miles with this set-up.

Jim Vincent RANS Screamer - Vision R50