vasectomy recovery time

kopride

May 17, 2006
I am planning my vasectomy for the off season. How long do I have to spend off the bike recovering? Textbook says 6-8 weeks but I am interested in any real world experiences. I was hoping I could at least get back on within 2-3 weeks. Am I being too optimistic?

Yoy know you are a pathetic cyclist when you are worried as much about when you are going to get back on the saddle as when you getting "back in the saddle."

kopride said:
I am planning my vasectomy for the off season. How long do I have to spend off the bike recovering? Textbook says 6-8 weeks but I am interested in any real world experiences. I was hoping I could at least get back on within 2-3 weeks. Am I being too optimistic?

Yoy know you are a pathetic cyclist when you are worried as much about when you are going to get back on the saddle as when you getting "back in the saddle."
I got back on the saddle after 10 days, but my doc said I could start after 5-7 if I wanted.

be interested to hear of other's experiences...I have been thinking for a while about getting the cut, however not being able to ride for a while is a bit of a turn off. I may wait for winter (in Australia we have just commenced spring) because in Winter I do a lot less mileage, be a shame to waste nice spring/summer weather

It was eight weeks for me.
I had mine the first of December and it was February before I could ride comfortably again. The first 4-6 weeks I was too sore period. After I started riding again, the smallest bump in the road would take my breath.

Everybody is probably different.
I was hoping to be riding and training again after two weeks.

Stay off the bumpy roads!!!

kopride said:

Sprint2Win said:
I had mine the first of December and it was February before I could ride comfortably again. The first 4-6 weeks I was too sore period. After I started riding again, the smallest bump in the road would take my breath.

My Doc said that he did it a different way. He just made 2 very tiny holes.No stiches, no operating room. It was just in the regular room. Like I said I just took 1 week off.

jviter said:
My Doc said that he did it a different way. He just made 2 very tiny holes.No stiches, no operating room. It was just in the regular room. Like I said I just took 1 week off.
Sounds like the way to go. Who is your doc? And is there a name for the type of procedure he did? I don't want to be out of commission for a month or more. I also have 4 kids from (7mos to 12) and would rather not have any more. Maybe we can get a group of us and he will offer us a group rate.

Aussie Steve said:
I have been thinking for a while about getting the cut, however not being able to ride for a while is a bit of a turn off.
LOL Having sharp implements near my tender bits is a turn off for me, but yeah, that training interruption, too. :D

I had a vasectomy at the end of June and my Dr. recommended waiting until there was no more pain (he indicated how riding on the horrible Pennsylvania roads could cause some issues). I waited three weeks before going out for very short rides. After about two more weeks, I was able to go for longer rides, but still noticed some discomfort, not pain, just discomfort. Been riding since and other than getting a new saddle, I have not had any issues.

My vasectomy was the single small incision (no stitches) with cauterization and Ti clamps type. For the pain, after two days, I was fine with Motrin.

It took me a long time to recover but I did a few things right away that the Doctor told me not to do. :D What can I say? I was much younger then.

Oh well, at least there wasn't the chance of pregnancy anymore.

Sprint2Win said:

===========================================================
You poor guy:eek:

I'm thinking(well my wife is doing some of the thinking too:) ) about the cruelest cut too and realising that a lot of the roads here are bumpy - yek.

Man, you guys are brave. I haven't even subjected my dogs to that. To my way of thinking, if God wanted us to have vasectomies he'd have put a zipper in our balls.

Pendejo said:
Man, you guys are brave. I haven't even subjected my dogs to that. To my way of thinking, if God wanted us to have vasectomies he'd have put a zipper in our balls.
+1

Why would you take that away from yourself? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

Hi guys, ( I can safely assume we're all guys on this thread?)
I was back on the bike after 8 days (done 8 miles), was doing 40 milers after 12 days .
It's now been 6 weeks and I've done several long rides including a couple of 100's
Haven't had no problems.

Saying that tho . My mate had his done a couple of weeks before me and he's only now doing 20 milers!!
It might be because he's a lazy git tho!!!

butcher said:
My mate had his done a couple of weeks before me and he's only now doing 20 milers!!
Seems a bit redundant to put your mate through the procedure too, but better safe than sorry, I suppose. ;)

I'd rather wear a rubber than have someone start cutting. Being a financial type person, I know that options have value; why limit future options? The benefit ain't worth it to me.

frenchyge said:
Seems a bit redundant to put your mate through the procedure too, but better safe than sorry, I suppose. ;)
Ouch! That was below the belt. :D

melslur said:
I'd rather wear a rubber than have someone start cutting. Being a financial type person, I know that options have value; why limit future options? The benefit ain't worth it to me.
Do it the natural way: just plan a TSS spike every 28 days or so. ;)

frenchyge said:
oooohhhh get him!!!!!!!!miaow!!!!! lol.
I convinced him it was a good idea to have it done. That way if it was too horrendous I could cancel my op! heh heh heh.

I was back on the mountain bike(in the woods) in 4 days. The name of the game for me was getting it done first thing in the morning and then icing them down 20 minutes every hour for the whole day untill I went to bed at 11:00 that night. I also wore a jock strap for a couple of days to keep them from bouncing around.
It was more embarrasing than painfull. I'm laying there with my pride and joy hanging out and the doctor and his assistant were chatting about a casserole that one of them had the night before.