Vasectomy Recovery Time?

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by MTBeers, Mar 20, 2013.

1. MTBeers

MTBeers New Member

Just had a consultation with the doc about an upcoming vasectomy. When asked how long i'd need to be off the bike, he responds, "Oh you're one of those. I'll tell you 2 weeks so you'll take at least 3 days off"... WTF? As i'm debating whether or not this jerk deserves to fondle my junk, i was hoping someone with experience can chime in on how long you took off the bike. I 'm just looking for a range of time i can plan for given that racing season is just starting. 2 weeks seems absurd. Is 3 days a reasonable expectation?

Tags:

2. upstateSC-rider

upstateSC-rider New Member

3 days off wasn't a problem for me but I remember people saying how terrible it was. I like to believe that being cyclists, we can endure a little more discomfort than the average joe schmo.

3. MotownBikeBoy

MotownBikeBoy Active Member

Three days doesn't seem like much recovery time to me. But, everyone is different in pain response. I had to have a testicle removed when I was a teenager, and I was in severe pain for a month, and had on and off pain for a couple of years. Riding was one of the harder things, due to both movement and the shape of the saddle, I would get nauseous and at times throw up. Eventully, my urologist suggested wearing a jock strap and cup, which really did help. That might work post-vasectomy, too.

4. Nitefeatherz

Nitefeatherz New Member

In this I would be careful- if you do too much too soon you will extend your recovery time. Better to take 2 weeks off NOW than have a longer recovery time later or need to undergo more surgery. I've seen complications from scrotal and urological surgeries...its never pretty.

I wouldn't appreciate the dr's sarcasm though- I would have made him clarify the actual expected recovery time. At least that way you know where you're standing. It certainly doesn't seem like a good bedside manner to me.

5. T-Mobile

T-Mobile New Member

I had a vasectomy last fall at the end of the racing season, I waited two weeks before I got back on the bike and I was fine, probably could have got back on a little sooner. Keep in mind that everybody heals differently and like some of the others have suggested, getting back into it to soon may have negative impacts on your healing.

6. OldTimer79

OldTimer79 New Member

I was more worried about giving the required sample after a few days ;-)