Vasectomy Recovery Time?

MTBeers

Mar 20, 2013
Just had a consultation with the doc about an upcoming vasectomy. When asked how long i'd need to be off the bike, he responds, "Oh you're one of those. I'll tell you 2 weeks so you'll take at least 3 days off"... WTF? As i'm debating whether or not this jerk deserves to fondle my junk, i was hoping someone with experience can chime in on how long you took off the bike. I 'm just looking for a range of time i can plan for given that racing season is just starting. 2 weeks seems absurd. Is 3 days a reasonable expectation?

3 days off wasn't a problem for me but I remember people saying how terrible it was. I like to believe that being cyclists, we can endure a little more discomfort than the average joe schmo.

Three days doesn't seem like much recovery time to me. But, everyone is different in pain response. I had to have a testicle removed when I was a teenager, and I was in severe pain for a month, and had on and off pain for a couple of years. Riding was one of the harder things, due to both movement and the shape of the saddle, I would get nauseous and at times throw up. Eventully, my urologist suggested wearing a jock strap and cup, which really did help. That might work post-vasectomy, too.

In this I would be careful- if you do too much too soon you will extend your recovery time. Better to take 2 weeks off NOW than have a longer recovery time later or need to undergo more surgery. I've seen complications from scrotal and urological surgeries...its never pretty.

I wouldn't appreciate the dr's sarcasm though- I would have made him clarify the actual expected recovery time. At least that way you know where you're standing. It certainly doesn't seem like a good bedside manner to me.

I had a vasectomy last fall at the end of the racing season, I waited two weeks before I got back on the bike and I was fine, probably could have got back on a little sooner. Keep in mind that everybody heals differently and like some of the others have suggested, getting back into it to soon may have negative impacts on your healing.