Vasectomy update: Bicycle shorts?

Preston Crawford

Guest
So just a quick update and a question. The hematoma is almost gone. So I
really want to get back on the bike soon. I think my Dr. will clear me
this week. The big question (which I think is obvious, but I wanted to
ask again of those who are cyclists and who have had the procedure) is
how long cycling shorts are necessary for, assuming they're necessary. I
usually don't wear them, see. I bike 15-20 miles a day with just boxers
and a pair of thick shorts. Easier to get transitioned to work clothes
that way. But I know I'm going to have to wear the pairs of padded
briefs I own (I bought a few for longer rides). I just wonder for how
long. Any idea?

Preston

God, yes! Especially over boxers - you really want to keep things in
place for the next while.

Oh, and make sure you get properly sized shorts. I ended up with some
somewhat oversized ones while trying to address a 'too tight on the
thighs' issue, and they caused all sorts of issues down, er, where it
counts.

"Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>I just wonder for how long. Any idea?

Hopefully forever. Bike shorts are MUCH more comfortable for riding than
boxers and regular shorts. Why would you NOT want to wear them?

Cheto

"Cheto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I just wonder for how long. Any idea?

> Hopefully forever. Bike shorts are MUCH more comfortable for riding than
> boxers and regular shorts. Why would you NOT want to wear them?
>
> Cheto

Not being of the male gender, but having two males in the family, both wear
padded cycle shorts whenever they are on a bike. This female always wears
padded cycle shorts on the bike. I wear mine under a pair of RonHill
Bikesters - as do the males of family in cooler weather. Padded cycle shorts
are definitely a Good Idea to wear when cycling.

Cheers, helen s

On 2005-10-03, Cheto <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I just wonder for how long. Any idea?

> Hopefully forever. Bike shorts are MUCH more comfortable for riding than
> boxers and regular shorts. Why would you NOT want to wear them?

Because it's easier. When you commute every day to work it's just one
more piece of clothing you have to take with you (underwear) to change
into at work. Plus during the summer it means (if your work allows
shorts) you can basically hop off the bike, change shirts and you're
good to go.

Preston

"Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So just a quick update and a question. The hematoma is almost gone. So I
> really want to get back on the bike soon. I think my Dr. will clear me
> this week. The big question (which I think is obvious, but I wanted to
> ask again of those who are cyclists and who have had the procedure) is
> how long cycling shorts are necessary for, assuming they're necessary. I
> usually don't wear them, see. I bike 15-20 miles a day with just boxers
> and a pair of thick shorts. Easier to get transitioned to work clothes
> that way. But I know I'm going to have to wear the pairs of padded
> briefs I own (I bought a few for longer rides). I just wonder for how
> long. Any idea?
>
> Preston

=======

After what you have been through, I would wear three pairs of bicycle
shorts.

Does your wife know about the "hematoma" falling off? She is going to be
looking for another man.

"Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2005-10-03, Cheto <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> "Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>I just wonder for how long. Any idea?

>> Hopefully forever. Bike shorts are MUCH more comfortable for riding than
>> boxers and regular shorts. Why would you NOT want to wear them?

> Because it's easier. When you commute every day to work it's just one
> more piece of clothing you have to take with you (underwear) to change
> into at work. Plus during the summer it means (if your work allows
> shorts) you can basically hop off the bike, change shirts and you're
> good to go.
>
> Preston

Why not wear the underwear with the bicycle short padding?

I would rather have a happy hematoba or whatever you call it than
..................... yikes.

On 2005-10-03, Thomas Wentworth <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On 2005-10-03, Cheto <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> "Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Hopefully forever. Bike shorts are MUCH more comfortable for riding than
>>> boxers and regular shorts. Why would you NOT want to wear them?

>> Because it's easier. When you commute every day to work it's just one
>> more piece of clothing you have to take with you (underwear) to change
>> into at work. Plus during the summer it means (if your work allows
>> shorts) you can basically hop off the bike, change shirts and you're
>> good to go.
>>
>> Preston

> Why not wear the underwear with the bicycle short padding?
>
> I would rather have a happy hematoba or whatever you call it than
> .................... yikes.

Yeah, well, like I said at first, I know the answer is obvious. It was
more of a question of how long to wear them, since I'm not used to it.
As to why NOT to wear both underwear and bicycle shorts? Haven't found
a combo that works/fits well. I'm a clydesdale (big dude) so as it is I
have to struggle to find shorts that are comfortable. So the current
items I have, the liners, are barely big enough in the legs by
themselves, much less over another piece of clothing. If someone knows
of another solution... like bike shorts that aren't lycra (since in the
winter here in Oregon I have to wear them under tights anyway) or
anything else, I'm all ears.

I've just never been a lycra guy, because of the issue of me having big
thighs, a size 40 waste, and thus more difficulty finding comfortable
shorts.

Preston

On 2005-10-03, Thomas Wentworth <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> So just a quick update and a question. The hematoma is almost gone. So I
>> really want to get back on the bike soon. I think my Dr. will clear me
>> this week. The big question (which I think is obvious, but I wanted to
>> ask again of those who are cyclists and who have had the procedure) is
>> how long cycling shorts are necessary for, assuming they're necessary. I
>> usually don't wear them, see. I bike 15-20 miles a day with just boxers
>> and a pair of thick shorts. Easier to get transitioned to work clothes
>> that way. But I know I'm going to have to wear the pairs of padded
>> briefs I own (I bought a few for longer rides). I just wonder for how
>> long. Any idea?
>>
>> Preston

>=======
>
> After what you have been through, I would wear three pairs of bicycle
> shorts.
>
> Does your wife know about the "hematoma" falling off? She is going to be
> looking for another man.

You don't know what a hematoma is. Or else that's a bad joke.

Preston

Preston Crawford <[email protected]> wrote:
:> On 2005-10-03, Thomas Wentworth <[email protected]> wrote:
:>>
:>> "Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
:>> news:[email protected]...
:>>> On 2005-10-03, Cheto <[email protected]> wrote:
:>>>>
:>>>> "Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
:>>>> news:[email protected]...
:>>>>
:>>>>>I just wonder for how long. Any idea?
:>>>>
:>>>> Hopefully forever. Bike shorts are MUCH more comfortable for
:>>>> riding than boxers and regular shorts. Why would you NOT want to
:>>>> wear them?
:>>>
:>>> Because it's easier. When you commute every day to work it's just
:>>> one more piece of clothing you have to take with you (underwear)
:>>> to change into at work. Plus during the summer it means (if your
:>>> work allows shorts) you can basically hop off the bike, change
:>>> shirts and you're
:>>> good to go.
:>>>
:>>> Preston
:>>
:>> Why not wear the underwear with the bicycle short padding?
:>>
:>> I would rather have a happy hematoba or whatever you call it than
:>> .................... yikes.
:>
[...]

It's easy to find comfortable shorts, man.

On 2005-10-03, Roger Zoul <[email protected]> wrote:
> Preston Crawford <[email protected]> wrote:
>:> On 2005-10-03, Thomas Wentworth <[email protected]> wrote:
>:>>
>:>> "Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>:>> news:[email protected]...
>:>>> On 2005-10-03, Cheto <[email protected]> wrote:
>:>>>>
>:>>>> "Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>:>>>> news:[email protected]...
>:>>>>
>:>>>>>I just wonder for how long. Any idea?
>:>>>>
>:>>>> Hopefully forever. Bike shorts are MUCH more comfortable for
>:>>>> riding than boxers and regular shorts. Why would you NOT want to
>:>>>> wear them?
>:>>>
>:>>> Because it's easier. When you commute every day to work it's just
>:>>> one more piece of clothing you have to take with you (underwear)
>:>>> to change into at work. Plus during the summer it means (if your
>:>>> work allows shorts) you can basically hop off the bike, change
>:>>> shirts and you're
>:>>> good to go.
>:>>>
>:>>> Preston
>:>>
>:>> Why not wear the underwear with the bicycle short padding?
>:>>
>:>> I would rather have a happy hematoba or whatever you call it than
>:>> .................... yikes.
>:>
>:> Yeah, well, like I said at first, I know the answer is obvious. It
>:> was
>:> more of a question of how long to wear them, since I'm not used to
>:> it.
>:> As to why NOT to wear both underwear and bicycle shorts? Haven't
>:> found
>:> a combo that works/fits well. I'm a clydesdale (big dude) so as it
>:> is I have to struggle to find shorts that are comfortable. So the
>:> current
>:> items I have, the liners, are barely big enough in the legs by
>:> themselves, much less over another piece of clothing. If someone
>:> knows
>:> of another solution... like bike shorts that aren't lycra (since in
>:> the winter here in Oregon I have to wear them under tights anyway) or
>:> anything else, I'm all ears.
>:>
>:> I've just never been a lycra guy, because of the issue of me having
>:> big thighs, a size 40 waste, and thus more difficulty finding
>:> comfortable shorts.
>
> It's easy to find comfortable shorts, man.

Hmmm... Well, not I. But like I said, I find lycra really uncomfortable,
so that narrows my options down.

Preston

:> On 2005-10-03, Roger Zoul <[email protected]> wrote:
:>> Preston Crawford <[email protected]> wrote:
:>>:> On 2005-10-03, Thomas Wentworth <[email protected]> wrote:
:>>:>>
:>>:>> "Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
:>>:>> news:[email protected]...
:>>:>>> On 2005-10-03, Cheto <[email protected]> wrote:
:>>:>>>>
:>>:>>>> "Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
:>>:>>>> news:[email protected]...
:>>:>>>>
:>>:>>>>>I just wonder for how long. Any idea?
:>>:>>>>
:>>:>>>> Hopefully forever. Bike shorts are MUCH more comfortable for
:>>:>>>> riding than boxers and regular shorts. Why would you NOT want
:>>:>>>> to wear them?
:>>:>>>
:>>:>>> Because it's easier. When you commute every day to work it's
:>>:>>> just one more piece of clothing you have to take with you
:>>:>>> (underwear) to change into at work. Plus during the summer it
:>>:>>> means (if your work allows shorts) you can basically hop off
:>>:>>> the bike, change shirts and you're
:>>:>>> good to go.
:>>:>>>
:>>:>>> Preston
:>>:>>
:>>:>> Why not wear the underwear with the bicycle short padding?
:>>:>>
:>>:>> I would rather have a happy hematoba or whatever you call it than
:>>:>> .................... yikes.
:>>:>
[...]

Any reason for that other than you're wearing sizes too small?

On 2005-10-03, Roger Zoul <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]
>:>>:> themselves, much less over another piece of clothing. If someone
>:>>:> knows
>:>>:> of another solution... like bike shorts that aren't lycra (since
>:>>:> in the winter here in Oregon I have to wear them under tights
>:>>:> anyway) or anything else, I'm all ears.
>:>>:>
>:>>:> I've just never been a lycra guy, because of the issue of me
>:>>:> having big thighs, a size 40 waste, and thus more difficulty
>:>>:> finding comfortable shorts.
>:>>
>:>> It's easy to find comfortable shorts, man.
>:>>
>:>>
>:>
>:> Hmmm... Well, not I. But like I said, I find lycra really
>:> uncomfortable, so that narrows my options down.
>
> Any reason for that other than you're wearing sizes too small?

That and the afforementioned ease of use. I just find shorts easier. I
can throw them under tights easily in the winter. In the summer I just
hop off the bike and I'm ready to work, etc. Mostly just a time saver,
and I've biked for so long that I've never really been uncomfortable
without them. But I think now's the time to reconsider that philosophy,
definitely.

Preston

Preston Crawford <[email protected]> wrote:
:> On 2005-10-03, Roger Zoul <[email protected]> wrote:
:>> Preston Crawford <[email protected]> wrote:
:>>:> On 2005-10-03, Roger Zoul <[email protected]> wrote:
:>>:>> Preston Crawford <[email protected]> wrote:
:>>:>>:> On 2005-10-03, Thomas Wentworth <[email protected]> wrote:
:>>:>>:>>
:>>:>>:>> "Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
:>>:>>:>> news:[email protected]...
:>>:>>:>>> On 2005-10-03, Cheto <[email protected]> wrote:
:>>:>>:>>>>
:>>:>>:>>>> "Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
:>>:>>:>>>> news:[email protected]...
:>>:>>:>>>>
:>>:>>:>>>>>I just wonder for how long. Any idea?
:>>:>>:>>>>
:>>:>>:>>>> Hopefully forever. Bike shorts are MUCH more comfortable
:>>:>>:>>>> for riding than boxers and regular shorts. Why would you
:>>:>>:>>>> NOT want to wear them?
:>>:>>:>>>
:>>:>>:>>> Because it's easier. When you commute every day to work it's
:>>:>>:>>> just one more piece of clothing you have to take with you
:>>:>>:>>> (underwear) to change into at work. Plus during the summer it
:>>:>>:>>> means (if your work allows shorts) you can basically hop off
:>>:>>:>>> the bike, change shirts and you're
:>>:>>:>>> good to go.
:>>:>>:>>>
:>>:>>:>>> Preston
:>>:>>:>>
:>>:>>:>> Why not wear the underwear with the bicycle short padding?
:>>:>>:>>
:>>:>>:>> I would rather have a happy hematoba or whatever you call it
:>>:>>:>> than .................... yikes.
:>>:>>:>
[...]

Well, to each his own. I just didn't want the reason to be that you could
find any in your size. I'm a big guy too and I wouldn't think of riding
without my shorts - all else can go but not those. Of course, I'm not a
commuter so I can't really relate to your usage. But on weekends I like to
rack up some miles...

On 2005-10-03, Roger Zoul <[email protected]> wrote:
>:> That and the afforementioned ease of use. I just find shorts easier.
>:> I can throw them under tights easily in the winter. In the summer I
>:> just hop off the bike and I'm ready to work, etc. Mostly just a time
>:> saver, and I've biked for so long that I've never really been
>:> uncomfortable without them. But I think now's the time to reconsider
>:> that philosophy, definitely.
>
> Well, to each his own. I just didn't want the reason to be that you could
> find any in your size. I'm a big guy too and I wouldn't think of riding
> without my shorts - all else can go but not those. Of course, I'm not a
> commuter so I can't really relate to your usage. But on weekends I like to
> rack up some miles...

Of course. On my longer weekend rides I always use the padded liners.
Weekdays... different story. I need to find a better solution than the
liners. Preferrably comfortable, baggy that are like regular cargo
shorts, but with padding.

Preston

[...]

http://mtborah.com/wwstore/item.wws?sku=05BPBEA

http://mtborah.com/wwstore/item.wws?sku=05BPMB

and there are others, too.

I'll be interested in what you find out. I too just got snipped (10
days), and usually just wear shorts to bike to work, for the same
reason as you. I was thinking a jock might be enough support...

I still don't feel like I can bike yet, but want to be prepared for
starting up again asap in a way that doesn't risk hurting anything.

Preston Crawford wrote:
> On 2005-10-03, Roger Zoul <[email protected]> wrote:

>>:>>:>>>>
>>:>>:>>>> Hopefully forever. Bike shorts are MUCH more comfortable for
>>:>>:>>>> riding than boxers and regular shorts. Why would you NOT want
>>:>>:>>>> to wear them?
>>:>>:>>>
>>:>>:>>> Because it's easier. When you commute every day to work it's
>>:>>:>>> just one more piece of clothing you have to take with you
>>:>>:>>> (underwear) to change into at work. Plus during the summer it
>>:>>:>>> means (if your work allows shorts) you can basically hop off
>>:>>:>>> the bike, change shirts and you're
>>:>>:>>> good to go.
>>:>>:>>>
>>:>>:>>> Preston
>>:>>:>>
>>:>>:>> Why not wear the underwear with the bicycle short padding?
>>:>>:>>
>>:>>:>> I would rather have a happy hematoba or whatever you call it than
>>:>>:>> .................... yikes.
>>:>>:>
>>:>>:> Yeah, well, like I said at first, I know the answer is obvious. It
>>:>>:> was
>>:>>:> more of a question of how long to wear them, since I'm not used to
>>:>>:> it.
>>:>>:> As to why NOT to wear both underwear and bicycle shorts? Haven't
>>:>>:> found
>>:>>:> a combo that works/fits well. I'm a clydesdale (big dude) so as it
>>:>>:> is I have to struggle to find shorts that are comfortable. So the
>>:>>:> current
>>:>>:> items I have, the liners, are barely big enough in the legs by
>>:>>:> themselves, much less over another piece of clothing. If someone
>>:>>:> knows
>>:>>:> of another solution... like bike shorts that aren't lycra (since
>>:>>:> in the winter here in Oregon I have to wear them under tights
>>:>>:> anyway) or anything else, I'm all ears.
>>:>>:>
>>:>>:> I've just never been a lycra guy, because of the issue of me
>>:>>:> having big thighs, a size 40 waste, and thus more difficulty
>>:>>:> finding comfortable shorts.
>>:>>
>>:>> It's easy to find comfortable shorts, man.
>>:>>
>>:>>
>>:>
>>:> Hmmm... Well, not I. But like I said, I find lycra really
>>:> uncomfortable, so that narrows my options down.
>>
>>Any reason for that other than you're wearing sizes too small?
>>

> That and the afforementioned ease of use. I just find shorts easier. I
> can throw them under tights easily in the winter. In the summer I just
> hop off the bike and I'm ready to work, etc. Mostly just a time saver,
> and I've biked for so long that I've never really been uncomfortable
> without them. But I think now's the time to reconsider that philosophy,
> definitely.
>
> Preston

I know women who refuse to buy bike shorts in sizes that fit them
because sometimes that is size large. Bike stuff is made rather small,
and the idea that they would wear a large horrifies them! "Oh, I never
wear a large!" Well, in some brands, large is 29 waist. Like who cares?
So they sandwich themselves into too-small shorts. I'm not a large
person, but in Louis Garneau, I wear large (although in Pearl Izumi I'm
small).

ANywyas, I know some big and chubby guys who find shorts that fit them
and are comfortable, you may have to look a bit harder. IN the meantime,
enjoy getting back on the bike. Remember, if lance did it, so can you,
LOL.

Preston Crawford wrote:
> On 2005-10-03, Cheto <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > "Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>I just wonder for how long. Any idea?

> > Hopefully forever. Bike shorts are MUCH more comfortable for riding than
> > boxers and regular shorts. Why would you NOT want to wear them?

> Because it's easier. When you commute every day to work it's just one
> more piece of clothing you have to take with you (underwear) to change
> into at work. Plus during the summer it means (if your work allows
> shorts) you can basically hop off the bike, change shirts and you're
> good to go.

After my 15 mile commute my co-workers appreciate that I take a shower
before spending too much time among them. Then the bike short change
is just part of the process of becoming more socially acceptable.

Anyways, after 4 weeks I see no reason why padding would be necessary.

- rick